Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I wonder if a screenshot would reveal the defects or if the screenshot would only show what is suppose to be on the screen?
A screenshot will only show what should be on the screen. We need a photograph of the screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Do NOT even attempt to clean dust off that eInk screen. The slightest pressure could destroy pixels.
Nonsense. The outer screen of the Kindle is thick plastic, and is perfectly OK to clean with anything you'd use to clean a laptop screen with. "The slightest pressure" certainly won't "destroy" anything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingDistance View Post
I don't think the screenshot will show it.

Post a picture up.
Thanks for everybody's help, but I do not have a camera with a high enough resolution/zoom that the spots show up in a picture. Oh well. I'll just assume that it's a normal problem and deal with it. Thanks anyway.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

OR you can call Amazon CS, replace it, and then see if it's a "normal" occurrence
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Are there any more documented cases of this pixel "dusting?" It is driving me crazy but I'd feel really guilty if I replaced and got a fourth kindle. I'd just like to know if this is normal. If anybody knows where I could read about the pixel dusting more in-depth, that would be great.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #21
Michael McLovin
Enthusiast
Michael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with others

Device: Desktop PC when i'm in the office pretending to work, kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Are there any more documented cases of this pixel "dusting?" It is driving me crazy but I'd feel really guilty if I replaced and got a fourth kindle. I'd just like to know if this is normal. If anybody knows where I could read about the pixel dusting more in-depth, that would be great.
just call amazon.
they've got one of (if not) the best customer service.
If they tell you it's normal it probably is.
Michael McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #22
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Did you try using the alt-G key combo to refresh the screen? The dots may be ghosts of a previous image. alt-G will clear the screen and reload the current image. It doesn't work in standby mode...
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #23
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Its normal to an extent. Its something that most people won't ever notice. You shouldn't even be able to see it when you're looking for it with the kindle more than a foot away from your face.

This is a picture of my dxg using a barely decent webcam and a 45x pocket microscope, so the quality is pretty bad. Those speckles on the picture isn't fuzz from the picture getting taken. They're actually there on the screen. This is my home screen and I've refreshed it several times before taking this picture. Those dots don't move. I tried to include some font on it to show how close you have to be to see it. The speckles can be bigger than this.

The lower left dot shows up the clearest on here. Just in case someone couldn't find it.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it was those speckles that I was referring to when I talked about a "dusting of black dots". I doubt that most people ever notice them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #25
Dava
Enthusiast
Dava began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy I5700 Spica, Kindle 3
Are they getting worse as time goes?
Dava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #26
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dava View Post
Are they getting worse as time goes?
Not entirely sure. They did on the last one I had. But those dots that the other person posted do look similar. I bought the extended warranty, so I guess that I'll just wait for a while and see what happens.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #27
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
i found some on my pocketbook 603. really annoying. i saw one then 5/6. Ive had a sony 505 for 2 yrs and i looked at it and nothing. smooth. grrrr.
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nonsense. The outer screen of the Kindle is thick plastic, and is perfectly OK to clean with anything you'd use to clean a laptop screen with. "The slightest pressure" certainly won't "destroy" anything.
Really? Then this should hardly ever break or crack. I assumed the screens were made of glass due to the incessant reports of broken screens and the like. Would you know what the Sony reader screens are made from?
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Really? Then this should hardly ever break or crack. I assumed the screens were made of glass due to the incessant reports of broken screens and the like. Would you know what the Sony reader screens are made from?
I'm not sure I'd describe it as 'thick' plastic, but you can certainly clean the front of a kindle screen without much worry.

It's the backplane of the screen that's make of glass. And yes, that can shatter just like all other current E Ink screens.

There have been some plans to create an e-ink screen using a plastic substrate, but I don't think anyone's gone to mass production yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote