Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2022, 05:52 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Should I be worried?

I just purchased a Clara HD for my son. My first impression is that it is a nice compact device.

I set it up, it updated the firmware to the most recent (4.33.19611) and sideloaded some content. No patching or other modification. It seemed fine. Battery was at 50%. I gave it to my son.

A couple of days later he gives it back and says the power button isn't working. Some of the screen looks a little weird and the power button doesn't do anything. I plug it in, and it starts to work. Battery is at 50%. As soon as I unplug it, a similar problem occurs. I do a factory reset from the UI (Settings-Device details), and still have similar problems: as soon as I unplug it, there are problems.

I charge to 100%, and it seems fine now.

So was it just that it needed to be charged? It needed to go through battery calibration?

I'm a little worried because I never got a low battery warning, and if it is a hardware problem, I would like to return it to Walmart instead of dealing with Kobo and warranty replacement.

What do you think?
Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Deleted.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
How did the screen look?

I’d be worried though that’s certainly not normal behavior. Exchange if you can.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
How did the screen look?

I’d be worried though that’s certainly not normal behavior. Exchange if you can.
Some parts of the screen looked inverted. Notan entire section, just every couple of lines, and some pixels within a line.

It seemed strange to me that it happened as soon as I unplugged it and then tapped on something, and when I did a full charge the problem went away.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I stand by what I said. Something is funky with that Clara. It might be working now but it could be a lurking issue. Maybe wait a few days I don’t know your return/exchange window.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Not helping here - but I think I would exchange it too.

Do you know what the battery capacity was before you started to use it? Just interested to know if there was a large change in that short time frame to get to 50%.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:11 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
Not helping here - but I think I would exchange it too.

Do you know what the battery capacity was before you started to use it? Just interested to know if there was a large change in that short time frame to get to 50%.
It was at 50% out of the box.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:04 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

An update, in case anyone else has similar problems.

I decided not to exchange it. I charged it to 100% after the initial problem, and it seems fine now. I've since charged it a couple times, and all seems well.

I probably should have exchanged it to be on the safe side. Thank you all for the help.