Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #1
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Question No calibre metadata in epub opf file when exporting

Hi everyone,
Is there a way to configure calibre to remove calibre metadata (and bookmark file) when exporting an epub?
Or a plugin that would do the job?
I don’t like my library data, like custom columns, leaking outside.
Thanks.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Turn off updating metadata in epub files if you dont want metadata written to them. Preferences->plugins->disable the epub metadata writer plugin. And turn off saving bookmarks inside epub file in the viewer preferences.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
dragoworld235

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Turn off updating metadata in epub files if you dont want metadata written to them. Preferences->plugins->disable the epub metadata writer plugin. And turn off saving bookmarks inside epub file in the viewer preferences.
Thanks for the answer.
I think I did as you said but I’m still getting the data when writing to disk. What did I missed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_BsJA9ci9If.png
Views:	111
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	194410   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_QbeUp5iTWk.png
Views:	95
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	194411   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-parallel_lIggoyFIFf.png
Views:	91
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	194412   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_KCJTvWvBgH.png
Views:	90
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	194413   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_Ke16UILFlk.png
Views:	96
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	194414  
Old 06-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Modify Epub plugin can remove all non-dc (non-standard) metadata from the opf in an epub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	194415  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoworld235 View Post
Thanks for the answer.
I think I did as you said but I’m still getting the data when writing to disk. What did I missed?
You have to change the option in the viewer to not have the bookmark saved inside the ePub. Also, have you edited any of these eBooks? You again have to set the editor to not update the metadata. I've not disabled any metadata plugins.

I've turned off the metadata updates in Calibre main and the editor. Also, I've turned bookmarks being saved in ePub from the viewer. When I save to disk, I have no problems. Nothing gets updated.

You turn this off in Preferences > Saving books to disk.
For the editor you do this in Edit > Preferences > Integr... with calibre.
For the viewer you do this in Preferences > Miscellaneous.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:50 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you've disabled them there is no way they are being added. Start with a fresh epub and test.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
dragoworld235

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The Modify Epub plugin can remove all non-dc (non-standard) metadata from the opf in an epub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have to change the option in the viewer to not have the bookmark saved inside the ePub. Also, have you edited any of these eBooks? You again have to set the editor to not update the metadata. I've not disabled any metadata plugins.

I've turned off the metadata updates in Calibre main and the editor. Also, I've turned bookmarks being saved in ePub from the viewer. When I save to disk, I have no problems. Nothing gets updated.

You turn this off in Preferences > Saving books to disk.
For the editor you do this in Edit > Preferences > Integr... with calibre.
For the viewer you do this in Preferences > Miscellaneous.
Thanks, now I have understood the problem and how to fix it.
Calibre keeps the metadata outside of the books.
I nearly always edit the book epub to clean it. The editor was saving the calibre metadata into the epub.
When viewing books, it was also adding the bookmark to the epub.
These settings are now set as I wanted.

I just have to clean my existing epub using the Modify Epub plugin.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #8
dragoworld235

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you've disabled them there is no way they are being added. Start with a fresh epub and test.
I was not using a clean epub, that was the problem.
(My full answer is awaiting moderation)
Old 06-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm curious about something. Why the paranoia about removing identifications / watermarks from books which have been licensed to you?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
dragoworld235

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm curious about something. Why the paranoia about removing identifications / watermarks from books which have been licensed to you?
I share my library with friends and once shared, you never know where a copy could end. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:46 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoworld235 View Post
I share my library with friends and once shared, you never know where a copy could end. Better safe than sorry.
If you cannot trust your friends not to give away these eBooks, then you should not share with them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, metadata, plugin