Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #31
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Word split from beginning quote

Product: Glo
Firmware: 2.5.1

To me this is a definite bug, not just a flaw or a feature request. A word should never be separated from the beginning quote, whether there's special coding around the quote or just around the word after the quote.

It happens with justification off, left or full. It can happen no matter what font is selected. It happens when the book is loaded from the device or from the SDcard. All my books are sideloaded epubs, no idea if it works correctly on a kepub.

There's a screenshot of it in the thread I started awhile ago, so I hope the existing thread suffices.
I think this also manifests itself as an unjustified line appearing in a book with justification turned on.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I just changed the stylesheet for the book I'm currently where I've run into 3x now so there is no justification at all, all text-align statements have been removed entirely, and reloaded the book to the Glo. The same word splits from the beginning quote are in the same exact places.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1242 View Post
It seems Kobo is ignoring the bookmark issue on the Touch. Even now in 2.5.1 it still hasn't been fixed.
If I bookmark a page and then exit the book or power off, when I return to the book it always goes back to the first page of the chapter. If I open the bookmark it shows, for instance "66% into chapter". If I open it, back to page 1.

This has been an issue for the last 3 or 4 versions. I think it probably needs to be fixed.
I an say that I do not normally see an error like that when reading epubs. If I do, it is usually, one of:

- Corrupt database - fix by logging out on device and logging in again
- Edited book which caused a change structure and resent the book to the device without first deleting it. The device process the book the first time and extracts the TOC. If this doesn't match the changed book, then problems like you are seeing occur.
- Errors in the book coding. Especially if the TOC is out of sync with the actual structure. Running a convert in calibre or editing in Sigil with a TOC rebuild usually fixes this.

The other problem is if you sideload the book as an kepub.epub. In this case, the code needs some changes to work. This is done automatically by the extended driver in calibre, but there are some books that it still doesn't seem to work with. There is a lot of discussion about this here.

If you want me to have a look at the database or a book that has this problem, I can. Send me a PM to arrange where to send it.

Lastly, if you are reading an epub, then the "66% into chapter" for a bookmark is incorrect. It is actually "66% into book".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #34
Reaper1242
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@Reaper1242: Which types of document have this bug: epub, kepub, pdf and/or cbz? have you a (free) test document?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Reaper: Quite often this is a sign of a corrupted database and not a true bug.
So far I've seen it on epubs and kepubs. This has been the same over multiple versions.
Ok, so how do I fix a corrupt database? I have a hunch it involves a hard reset.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So far I've seen it on epubs and kepubs. This has been the same over multiple versions.
Ok, so how do I fix a corrupt database? I have a hunch it involves a hard reset.
Just logout on the device and log back in. That will replace the current database with a new one.

But, if you have been getting this for a while with both epubs and kepubs, then there might be something else going on. I would be interested in seeing the database and an epub or two.
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #36
Reaper1242
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just logout on the device and log back in. That will replace the current database with a new one.

But, if you have been getting this for a while with both epubs and kepubs, then there might be something else going on. I would be interested in seeing the database and an epub or two.
I'm going to log out and in later and see what happens. I've been logged in for months so it's entirely possible.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #37
Reaper1242

Okay, it definitely seems like a problem with editted kepubs. After a log out and resync epubs came right. Kepubs were still faulty. If I simply rename them to epub they work just fine.
Seems like a structural issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #38
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@Ripplinger: added. Could you create also a test document with Sigil?

Bug: If a special character is followed by a tag and a word and no whitespace, word is wrapped anyway to the next line
Device: Glo, Mini, Touch
From Firmware: 2.5.1

@anyone: the fact the database seems to get corrupted very easily seems to me a big bad bug...
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, it definitely seems like a problem with editted kepubs. After a log out and resync epubs came right. Kepubs were still faulty. If I simply rename them to epub they work just fine.
Seems like a structural issue.
In that case it is a well know and well discussed problem with putting epubs on the device as kepubs. Read through any of the threads about this and you will find the details.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@anyone: the fact the database seems to get corrupted very easily seems to me a big bad bug...
Yes the database can be broken by as simple a thing as not disconnect from a PC properly. It can also be broken by poking under the covers. Doing something like forcing a power off at the wrong time would probably do it. With all the stuff you are doing to your Kobo, I am surprised that it took this long.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about a bug entry for the multiple shelve problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ltiple+shelves

I upgraded to 2.5.1 and now have multiple shelves (and can't delete them).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about a bug entry for the multiple shelve problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ltiple+shelves

I upgraded to 2.5.1 and now have multiple shelves (and can't delete them).
This can be solved by getting in touch with Customer Service.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #43
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@davidfor: I played a lot with my Glo, so my personal db troubles don't count. But I read many problems with db on the forum, it seems a common problem.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
This can be solved by getting in touch with Customer Service.
But it is still a bug?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

It is a BUG that HAS been resolved on the BACK END where it existed.

The FULL fix requires you to get in touch with CUSTOMER SERVICE so they can get the duplicaste shelves CLEANED UP.

Tags
pocket app