Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #1
Superphil
Enthusiast
Superphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo original.
Getting rid of unwanted question marks!

Hello, I seems to have a problem with unwanted question marks. I am taking a text and putting it into Sigil. All looks fine, even when I put it in Calibre but when I move it to my my Kobo the question marks are in the beginning of the text, when it starts.
Superphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Maybe you can post a screenshot of the problem?

Can you see any problems with the code when you open the book in the editor? Maybe post a snippet of that code also.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2023, 06:33 PM   #3
Superphil
Enthusiast
Superphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than momSuperphil loves his/her reader more than mom

There are no problems in the editor, only when I read it on ny Kobo. That is strange.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's the encoding for this eBook? Usually this sort of problem is an encoding issue.

You can try the Modify ePub plugin to encode it to UTF-8 and see if that fixes it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
Superphil
Enthusiast

Found the answer to my problem. In my headings I had left hyphens between words and numbers. In Sigil these appeared as spaces but on my Kobo they were question marks. Weird. Thanks for your suggestions.b
Advert