Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-20-2022, 12:40 AM   #856
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sharon Lee appears to be in a snippet mood this week. Here's another:
Quote:
He smiled at her kindly.

"Priscilla, you must be tired; your wits have gone wandering. The master trader will be continuing his proper work in opening this port, and establishing Tree-and-Dragon as the premier and preferred partner-in-trade."

He sipped his wine.
"Trader yos'Galan will of course accompany the qe'andra on the audit tour."
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #857
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those of you interested, Sharon Lee posted this today:
Quote:
The new news is that SALVAGE RIGHT, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, has been scheduled for July 2023. That puts the eArc, if any, sometime in . . . April. More or less.
Advert
Old 09-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #858
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
link to Liaden_Universe_Flowchart

https://app.box.com/s/ulkpbg9tveawoip2jzk8yr8m0kyivx1o

Up to date at the time of this post.

H/T Mike J Nagle

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:30 AM   #859
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
https://app.box.com/s/ulkpbg9tveawoip2jzk8yr8m0kyivx1o

Up to date at the time of this post.

H/T Mike J Nagle

bernie
Excellent. Though it's off by a bit -- Fair Trade was published in May, 2022. And it's missing at least one novelette -- "Our Lady of Benevolence", which was published as part of #34 in the Adventures in the Liaden Universe, Bread Alone. But that's a quibble, and it's a very worthy and useful effort. Jon should appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:18 AM   #860
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Snippet Saturday:
Quote:
Snippet from the Redlands Novel, which is being written, even now.
"And Tekelia," Padi said, raising her voice slightly, "is subtle, which I find I am not. We did eat after our exertions. It is entirely my fault if I failed to grasp that pie was part of the lesson."
Advert
Old 09-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #861
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For those who enjoy audio books, Audible has released A Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume 4, with Kevin T. Collins narrating.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:09 AM   #862
CRussel
(he/him/his)

This week it's Snippet Sunday:
Quote:
He put his glass aside, and slid down to let his head rest on the back of the sofa. He closed his eyes, and for a moment merely sat, allowing himself to melt out of the stance, the mindset, the melant'i of master trader and into only -- Shan.

"Shall I bring you a blanket?" asked Priscilla.

He opened his eyes and raised his head.

"Will you share it with me?"

"That could be arranged."

"Temptress."
Old 09-20-2022, 12:25 AM   #863
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Oooh, two snippets in two days:
Quote:
It was never wise to try to conceal things from Priscilla who, aside the familiarity granted lifemates, was perfectly able to See his presently rather tumultuous emotions.

"What's happened?" she asked, sharply.

Across the room, Padi's door snapped open and she strode out, her pattern fairly crackling with energy, and an expression of wide delight on her face.

"It worked!" she said exuberantly. "Oh, this is *excellent*!"
Oh, dear. Somehow, I'm suspect Shan is not going to be as ecstatic about this as Padi is...
Old 10-16-2022, 12:28 AM   #864
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Snippet Saturday: (from the current Redlands novel)

Quote:
"There you are, my dear!" said the agreeably rounded lady standing in the hallway. "I hope I haven't interrupted anything. I did so wish to continue our acquaintance."

Priscilla smiled.

"The only thing you are interrupting is some dreadfully dry reading. Please, Oracle, come in. I was just about to brew a pot of tea."

"Excellent!" Asta vesterGranz exclaimed. "It so happens that I brought cookies! We may have a lovely coze – and please. You must call me Asta."
Old 10-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #865
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And a Monday Snippet:
Quote:
Danae smiled, amusement plain for those who knew what they were looking for.

"Indeed, my own grandmother still tells stories of Er Thom yos'Galan's apprenticeship. It impressed her as few things have."
Old 10-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #866
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for the snippets.

"A comfortable coze" is just SO Georgette Heyer that it made me smile.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #867
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Thanks for the snippets.

"A comfortable coze" is just SO Georgette Heyer that it made me smile.
Indeed. And we all know that Lee&Miller much appreciate Ms. Heyer's work, so not a surprise.

And, just for that, another snippet:
Quote:
"What, is Civilization in need of us again?" asked Kencia, who had not much love for those On-Grid. "We had best draw up a schedule of fees, cousins."
Old 11-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #868
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
New Liaden short story in the Chicks in Tank Tops collection being released by Baen in January 2023. You can read it now in the sample chapters at Baen.

Quote:
Chicks in Tank Tops

THE CHICKS ARE BACK! CELEBRATING FEARLESS AND FEARSOME FEMALES WITH ALL-NEW STORIES.

Featuring all-new stories inspired by the classic Chicks in Chainmail series!
Spoiler:

A boy and his dog. A girl and her tank. Tropes have been with us throughout all of history. Any girl would gladly trade in her skimpy armor for a tank. While a little bit of chainmail can take a chick far, heavy armor can take one even farther.

Besides, what’s not to love about Chicks in Tank Tops? From pure near-future military science fiction to Pride and Prejudice with zombies, AI tanks, and true love!

All-new stories by: Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, David Drake, Jody Lynn Nye, Kevin Ikenberry, Esther Friesner, Joelle Presby, Robert E. Hampson, A.C. Haskins, Lydia Sherrer & David Sherrer, G. Scott Huggins, Philip Wohlrab, Marisa Wolf, and Jason Cordova & Ashley Prior.
Quote:
Gadreel’s Folly

A Liaden® Story

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller

ANGEL

Somewhere out in the sweet bye ’n’ bye, there’s a place made all of bright crystal, folding back on itself ’til it’s pleated like a fan, over, under, and around, containing the universe and everything in it.
Spoiler:

I see it in dreams, though I think it’s real—or was. A perfect place, cold, unchanging, breathlessly clear, with nothing warm to taint its perfection.

I’m imperfect; all us vessels of blood and electrons are. We fought against crystal perfection; committed the sin of Change. Took flight in our tattered armada of lifeboats, mining rigs, holiday ships, and surplus troop transports, going from crystal there to dusty here.

We wanted imperfection, and we pushed through the transition: heretics, sure, but alive.

The Liadens call the transition the Great Migration. Terrans are closer to the truth—they call it the Great Escape. To the Churchly—that’s me—it’s The Choice.

I’m no novice; I’ve had my training, and swore my final vows. I’d done well in combat training, strategy, tactics, but my Calling wasn’t the ministry of the High Command. I was Called to repair armor, and the wearers of armor, everything from the brave clanks on the front line, to the soldier fitted out as a turret-gunner. I was attached to field battalions as Sister Mechanic, or, as the soldiers called me—the Repair Angel.
It sounds like a lot of good stories so enjoy.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:29 AM   #869
CRussel
(he/him/his)

First, thanks Bernie for posting that link to the Chicks in Tank Tops collection due out in January.

Next, a snippet from the discovery story. But a warning -- this snippet may, or may not, appear in the final version of the current Work In Progress.
Quote:
The door opened and Mar Tyn pai'Fortana stepped onto the porch, sock-foot, shirt untucked, hair rumpled. Chaos swung from his shoulders like a cloak, and Tekelia heard dice clicking in the ether.
All I can say is that it certainly sounds like it should get things off to a good start!
Old 11-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #870
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
What I find happening to myself is that I am remembering bits and pieces of scenes that have must only happened in the short stories, but when I reread the novels themselves, I keep expecting those scenes to appear. When they don't, I spend a few moments wondering if I'm just so immersed in the Liaden Universe that I'm in-filling scenes on my own, lol.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote