Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Thumbs up Snow, Glass, Apples

So, I'm a longtime Neil Gaiman fan from his early comic book days (I started reading Sandman from the day it came out), but I had not read much of his other fiction until recently. I read "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" last year and really thought it deserved to win the Hugo. And of course Stardust and Coraline were both great.

But tonight I just finished "Snow, Glass, Apples".

I was blown away.

Perhaps the main reason why was that I didn't see the ending coming. It's such a rare thing these days, to be surprised, and it's so delightful. I don't want to spoil anything here, but suffice it to say I wish I could have written such a brilliant piece. If it wasn't for the smattering of adult content, I think this story should be required reading in High School curriculum.

Bravo, Mr. Gaiman. Bravo.

PS - This short story is available in Neil Gaiman's collection Smoke and Mirrors, available on Kindle.

Last edited by sirbruce; 04-17-2009 at 01:05 AM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Agreed. That and Murder Mysteries are must reads in Smoke and Mirrors.

Have you had a chance to check out Fragile Things? It's another one of his short story collections, I'll probably pick it up in paper form though one of these days, it has all the intros for each short story in the beginning much like Smoke and Mirrors (at least I think it does), and it's easier to flip back wood pages than e-pages I think.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read that Fragile Things wasn't as good. But I'm sure I'll get to it eventually!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thanks for bringing my attention to Gaiman's short stories - previously I had only read his novels & graphic novels.

I began with "Smoke and Mirrors" and encountered what I think is one of the greatest opening lines: "Mrs. WHitaker found the Holy Grail; it was under a fur coat." Just made me stop and stare at it for a few minutes - what a brain to come up with this.

Any further recommendations?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
If you're looking for more lighthearted and witty Neil Gaiman, I'd say check out Good Omens (co-authored by Terry Pratchett) and I recently finished his Anansi Boys, which is similar and also a great fun read.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooon69 View Post
If you're looking for more lighthearted and witty Neil Gaiman, I'd say check out Good Omens (co-authored by Terry Pratchett) and I recently finished his Anansi Boys, which is similar and also a great fun read.
Thanks - I have read Good Omens (when I motored through the Pratchett canon) - very fun & witty.

Haven't read Anansi Boys yet - it's sitting on my Kindle - I will move it up in my "To Read" queue.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Any further recommendations?
You can check out some more of his short stories on his website:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/Cool_Stuff

Including "How to Talk to Girls at Parties".
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
This short story is available in Neil Gaiman's collection Smoke and Mirrors, available on Kindle.
The short story is also available online here. No need to buy a Kindle.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 04-21-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Since the URL doesn't give permission to duplicate, you're not allowed to download it to your e-reader. Though I suppose with Kindle you could read it via the web browser.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Ta for that. I'll convert that to ePub and put it on my 505 for later reading
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Bought it just now, from your recommendation

I have one other fiction book to finish then I'll get started on it and report back with my opinion on it. Looks good!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Since the URL doesn't give permission to duplicate, you're not allowed to download it to your e-reader. Though I suppose with Kindle you could read it via the web browser.
Have there been any reports on reading directly from the web using the web browser - particularly for short stories that can't be downloaded? I'd think you would run into similar issues reported for web browsing - scaling problems, long loading times, etc. I am finding websites with short stories available only for online reading, which I would like to download for later reading away from the PC.

Has anyone had any experience using phonifier or skweezer, or similar software for cell phone browsing, on the Kindle? For some reason, I cannot focus to read off of a PC screen, but have no problem reading from a Kindle. This almost prevented me from buying an ebook.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

I've not read any specific reports but I'm sure reading via the web browser works fine it would just be slow. But usually I download the page into HTML and then convert it to MOBI and upload that to my Kindle. I was just joshing Moe since that's technically a bad thing to do. :P