Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
The X-ray may not "damage" the Kindle but if you put it through too many times, it may not be able to have any more baby Kindles.
If the K2 is an example of one of its 'babies', then that might not be such a bad thing.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
red1
red1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and Sony 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
"Hello from Amazon.com.

To address the question about weather the post you sent us was verified, Thank you for writing to Amazon.com."

It is probably just the English major in me, but these kind of mistakes put credibility issues at the front of my mind
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Thank you for contacting us regarding the possibility of damaged to your Kindle by the X-ray machinery at an airport. After researching this problem I have confirmed that this machinery does not damage the Kindle in any way.

www.amazon.com/kindlesupport"
Quote:
"Hello from Amazon.com.

Customer Discussions allow you to share your questions, insights, and views about products available on Amazon.com with other customers. This means that information that is posted to a forum may or may not be accurate. To address the question about weather the post you sent us was verified, I would need that customer call in. Currently there is not a possibility of damaged to a Kindle by the X-ray machinery at an airport. After researching this I have confirmed that this machinery does not damage the Kindle in any way. If there is a problem with a Kindle or Kindle 2 Amazon.com will covered these problems with our manufacturer warranty.

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com."
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1 View Post
It is probably just the English major in me, but these kind of mistakes put credibility issues at the front of my mind
Well, the exact same odd little mistake noted above bugged me. I'm on drugs and even I spotted those little gems. I noticed "weather" too .... who knows if English is their first language?? Customer support is global these days .... I'd hazard a guess than 90% of CS reps speak a primary language other than English.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes, I know thats what you said, and what you've been saying. And what I've been reading.

I just wanted an "official" statement for the "truth or myth" wiki!

Now, another myth can be put to rest.
I rather suspect that those of us who have backgrounds in science are better able to answer such questions than Amazon's customer support staff .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, the exact same odd little mistake noted above bugged me. I'm on drugs and even I spotted those little gems. I noticed "weather" too .... who knows if English is their first language?? Customer support is global these days .... I'd hazard a guess than 90% of CS reps speak a primary language other than English.
Still, amazon's english sounds better than what comes out of the mouths of most united states-ians.
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
ShaunHAppleby
ShaunHAppleby began at the beginning.

Device: none
wow .... just wow
ShaunHAppleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #22
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Actually X-Ray's can flip the bits in your FLASH memory but hey, everything is backed up on Amazon's servers so no need to worry right?

Just try not to get X-Ray'd on an Orange Day or when the President is in town, when they have the X-Ray machines set to "Lightly toasted".

During high security events they can turn the X-Ray output level up to ensure better visibility into things like unfamiliar electronic devices containing dense things like batteries that look alot like a chunk of C4. Also, when you see the belt go backwards and suck back into the machine? That's them dialing it up for a better look.

http://www.newser.com/article/d96jis...05-launch.html

Cosmic Ray's, X-Ray's it's all E=mc2 baby.

My advice: take your valuable electronic device out and put it in a separate tub. If you have several devices put them in one layer next to each other, don't stack them. That way they can usually get it on the first pass at low power. When I had to travel heavy and had crazy numbers of chargers and cables mixed in with my gear I've had them run the bag through 5 times. They've been taught not to trust hand inspections anymore. They need to see what's inside those little blocks.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I rather suspect that those of us who have backgrounds in science are better able to answer such questions than Amazon's customer support staff .

Absolutely you can. However, with Amazon's "official" response, there is now an awareness of a possible problem. They can't say there was no previous knowledge, or hadn't looked into the possibilities.

Should a problem like this arise, I would hope they would warn people so that proper precautions could be taken, such as the ones Scotty suggests.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #24
A&PinOKC
A&PinOKC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No Kindelings!

That is something to consider....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
The X-ray may not "damage" the Kindle but if you put it through too many times, it may not be able to have any more baby Kindles.
A&PinOKC is offline   Reply With Quote