Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #106
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
good god, WHAT ??? i didn't know that... suddenly feeling rather weak in the knees at the thought of the many times i've taken my card in and out of the reader...
I may have been a tad bit stong with the "grid" comment i.e. not 100% true and edited my message to tone down the possiblitlty of corrupting the 1150. However, it's better to be safe than sorry!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #107
pmdreamer
pmdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Zelda_pinwheel was writing her explanations on what to do way past her bedtime!!! She has given you some great ideas to further explore, like Mobi2IMP and lit2sb (i.e. .lit to .imp).

Allow me to further elaborate since these programs can be found here in the Fictionwise fourm, namely Mobi2IMP 9.4 with new Windows GUI & UTF-8 and Convert .lit directly into .IMP formats. I would also recommend, in the Format Conversion forum, PDFRead 1.8.2 released! for all your .pdf/.djvu converting needs.

The above programs are mainly useful in creating .imp ebooks using previously created ebooks (in a different format like .prc/.pdb/.lit/.pdf). I have a lot of hands-on experience with these programs since most were created/exploited by me.

For creating your own .imp ebooks from .html source, the most powerful software to use is eBook_Publisher. It has a steep learning curve, but what powerful software doesn't.

Ok, now enough with the introductory stuff, let's get you creating .imp ebooks:

- First, eBook Publisher requires that you to create a New Project (.opf file) using the File menu item.

- Next, you should enter the ebook details using Edition Setting... under the Project menu and save it using the name of your resulting .imp ebook. Ensure you uncheck "Require ISBN", enter Title, Author and Bookshelf Category at a minimum as these are required entries.

- Next, you can Add Files... any source .html, just change the file-requester's filetype from *.odf to *.html.

- Next make sure you change the Build Target from the default "OEBFF: All Targets" to "Grayscale Half-VGA" for the eBookwise 1150 .imp format.

- Last, select Build Edition... and determine if the Processing Successful message appears as the last line of the Errors and Messages window. If not, you may need to tweak your source .html and repeat Build Edition... until you are satisfied with the .imp output.

To get the .imp file onto the reader, just follow this.

Obviously, this is just a very cursory step-by-step, but it should point you in the direction. And yes, you will benefit by reading the eBook Publisher 2.1 documentation/manual (User's Guide).

Ask away if you get stuck, either here or in a new thread.

Enjoy!
Thanks soooooo much for the directions and info. you guys are great. I will work on this and read the manual for publisher.
pmdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #108
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If I may slide in here with a suggestion - you see, I'm not very techish. It has to be more pointy-clicky and less codey-changey for me. My simple solution, if EBW librarian wants to argue, is to just upload the .doc or .html or whatever directly to my EBW personal content bookshelf at eBookwise. The files may come out a few bytes bigger, but so far, it has never failed to produce a lovely .imp for me.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #109
pmdreamer
pmdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
what about PDB files? will they convert if uploaded to fictionwise? They didn't work with ebook pub.
pmdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #110
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdreamer View Post
what about PDB files? will they convert if uploaded to fictionwise? They didn't work with ebook pub.
If the .pdb is of the type "TEXt/REAd" (PalmDOC), then Mobi2IMP will convert it to .imp formats.

If the .pdb is of the type "PNPdPPrs" (ereader), then you're stuck as I don't know of any converter for it.
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #111
runaway2k
runaway2k began at the beginning.

Device: reb-1100
grid screen

Having a problem with a reb1100. When I turn it on, the
screen turns dark and displays a grid pattern. I have no
access to any of the content. I've tried the reset button a
couple of times. Is a grid screen. I think is because i
removed the card and i forgot to turn it off. Please what
can i do?
runaway2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #112
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by runaway2k View Post
Having a problem with a reb1100. When I turn it on, the screen turns dark and displays a grid pattern. I have no access to any of the content. I've tried the reset button a couple of times. Is a grid screen. I think is because i removed the card and i forgot to turn it off. Please what
can i do?
I don't own the device, but I would suggest that posting your problem in this thread might not get it the audience you need. Many people will only see that there's a new post in the "hands on review" thread, and not go looking. Whereas, if you post your problem in its own, new thread, you should get more responses.

You can do that by going to the eBookWise forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

and then clicking on the little blue button marked "NEW THREAD":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/new...ewthread&f=152

Making a quick use of the Search button in the top right (for "ebookwise" and "grid"), I notice there is mention in the following thread of that grid-pattern:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ebookwise+grid

I don't know if that thread is of any help. If not and you get no further responses here, as mentioned try starting a new thread.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #113
nrapallo

That's good information, Marc. The Legacy e-book forum would be the place for these questions, since, the ebookwise1150, although identical to the REB1100 in appearance, doesn't suffer from this type of error all to often. However, under the circumstances (distraught first time poster), I'll answer this here!

I have the REB1100, but have never managed to "grid" it.

This happens very often on the REB1100, primarily when removing the SM card.

I'm afraid that this may be permanent damage caused to your REB1100 device. You may find some detailed information in this post in the thread called Screen of Death returns when unplugged from AC outlet.

As a last ditch effort, you may try to Erase Internal Memory as indicated in this post.

Users with REB1100 should always be warned about removing the SM card with the unit on and are always advised to cycle the unit on-off after the SM card is removed, i.e.
Quote:
turn unit off, remove SM card, turn on the unit, then turn it off again prior to re-inserting the SM card

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-21-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #114
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Try the instructions given on http://www.iamnota.net/reb:flash%20recovery -- they always worked for me.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #115
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by runaway2k View Post
Having a problem with a reb1100. When I turn it on, the
screen turns dark and displays a grid pattern. I have no
access to any of the content. I've tried the reset button a
couple of times. Is a grid screen. I think is because i
removed the card and i forgot to turn it off. Please what
can i do?

I see this is your first post, so I'd like to welcome you to MobileRead.

nrapallo has offered some places you might look at in order find a possible solution to the problem you're experiencing with your ebook reader.

There was some response about posting to the thread that would be the most help. This is your first post and MobileRead can sometimes be daunting in the number of different areas that one needs to post in order to maximize the help needed.

Again, please see nrapallo's advice.

I, too, have a reb 1100. One was gridded and was only "fixed" while it was plugged in. Unplug it, and the problem recurred. Other people have had better success. What we own is what's called here on MobileRead a "Legacy" device. It's long out of production, but very much loved by those people who still have one.

I'm not an expert, by any means. Nrapallo, as mentioned before, is the person I'd call the expert.

Again, I welcome you to MobileRead and in hoping you get your Reader working again.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #116
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I, too, have a reb 1100. One was gridded and was only "fixed" while it was plugged in. Unplug it, and the problem recurred. Other people have had better success.
Don:

Did you ever get that REB1100 firmware refresh to "stick'?

And thanks for the kind words! We all do what we can to make this a better place to visit!

-Nick
Old 10-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #117
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, the change would never stay. It makes me wonder if something is fried in the ram. When I decided to move to Peru, I decided to leave that unit behind in Arkansas, and took my remaining other two units with me to Peru.

Now, one of those two units has decided to become unresponsive. The entire screen does not respond and is stuck on this one book. I can read the book, moving forward and backward, but pressing anything else doesn't work. When I do press some other area (to change to a different book, for example), it tries to go there and then goes back to the current book. Pressing any of the main control areas (new books, remaining battery life - whatever) doesn't do anything.

(I should add that at any odd given month - twice, now - I picked the unit up and it worked for a few moments, but then became "sticky" again. Strange.)

I even took the unit apart and reseated everything, but it still has this problem. I recharged the unit; still no effect.

So, out of - initially - three working units, I'm now down to one.

My main unit is my Sony 505, but I still get a great deal of pleasure out of these older units.

Don
Old 10-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #118
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
It seams that your touchscreen flat cable has bad contact in its socket. Take cable out, cut off couple millimeter, insert it back. In the most cases that helps.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #119
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
It seams that your touchscreen flat cable has bad contact in its socket. Take cable out, cut off couple millimeter, insert it back. In the most cases that helps.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I may go ahead and actually do that. I'll take it apart again and see how much "play" there is in the cable. I'll also try to jiggle it around to see if that is indeed the problem.

Don
Old 05-17-2009, 03:34 AM   #120
marypinchesme
marypinchesme began at the beginning.

Device: gemstar 1150
can you tell me where you can get magazines to download to my gemstar 1150?
marypinchesme is offline   Reply With Quote