Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
atesta
Banned
atesta began at the beginning.

Device: TBA
Crazy idea - search?

First of all, excuse some mistakes, I'm not very good at technical English...

So, I want to ask you (just theoretically) - would it be possible to make a hack for PRS505 that would allow us to search inside the books? I'm not very skilled in this hacking and flashing, I don't know the possibilities of the device, I'm just asking.
atesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Oh it is very possible
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
atesta
Banned

Really possible? As I read all the reviews, the lack of search feature is the second most mentioned drawback of PRS505 (the first one is the pdf zooming problem, solved by rasterfarian or conversion to another format). By the way, I looked closely at the hacks list. Those "hacker guys" are doing an incredible job!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Personally, I doubt it...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Oh it is very possible
Can you convince somebody to do it?
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
atesta
Banned

Well, it is possible to search the dictionary, so why not books? ;-) (Of course I understand it is something different and of course more difficult, but it would be nice...)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I would say that the lack of this feature makes the 505 useless as a research tool. Sony should be providing this themselves.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Skittels
Skittels began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/lc
well it definitely halts my need to digitize all my reference material
Skittels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If you open Ebook library on your computer and view a book there is a search function at the top right of the screen.
(I agree that this isn't a complete solution, but it is a small help.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I know it can be done, because it can be done on the Kindle. If you are looking at your library and type in a word to search, it will bring up a list of all the books containing that word.

So ... absolutely it is possible to do. It's just a matter of Sony deciding to implement it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Theoretically it can be done, but it will be a challenge and a lot of work.

It is trivial to search through text files, in the link you provided (the dictionary) we used the 'grep' utility to search an ASCII file.
However searching through binary files is not so trivial. A the PRS-500/5 supports a good number of binary files. You will need to read the file and know how to handle the binary encoding. Usually this requires writing much software and require the developer to be familiar with the binary structure. Sometimes API are provided that do reduce the amount of knowledge the developer must have in order to read through the file.

At this point you can do a search. In addition some files are compressed text such as ePub that is a zipped HTML, but may also include images (binary).

So the binary files you wold have to read are (may be missing some)
PDF, RTF, LRF, LRX,
Compressed HTML(text) and images
EPUB

You might want to first start with ASCII(text) files then slowly start adding binaries to your search program. I'd recommend the next file after the txt be either EPUB or RTF.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-21-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #12
leveck
Literate Gadget Fan
leveck is on a distinguished road

Device: Vulan Flipstart, Sony PRS 505
Then there is the whole stumbling block of user input of a search string.

This reminds me of my former career: I was the senior programmer at my last employer for 6 years before deciding to go back into electronics. VPs were always trying to add things to a project. Sometimes vastly extending the scope of a program, sometimes after most of the code for the original spec was already written.

The capabilities of this reader were known (or available to be known) before purchase for all of us. Buy the product which fits your needs and put an end to the requests for kludgey-shoehorn additions!

Last edited by leveck; 08-22-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: to correct a grammatical error.
leveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveck View Post
The capabilities of this reader were known (or available to be known) before purchase for all of us. Buy the product which fits your needs and put an end to the requests for kludgey-shoehorn additions!
We also knew there was no delete for books on the device and no ability to read in the epub format. And yet, now these features are available.

I am happy with my Sony, but I see no harm in hoping for or driving improvements where possible.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote