Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The symptoms you describe are nothing to do with Amazon locking anything down; it indicates a problem with your local 3G coverage. Try taking your Kindle a couple of miles away and try to connect again. I suspect the local cell tower has a fault.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #77
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I hardly use the 3G, but if I am on holiday I would use a three 3G card as it is 3Giga for 3 months with no contract. Though it will not work abroad as it is not registered, but the Kindle would then work - 3G is expensive for the three network - WHEN ABROAD.

There is a temptation to tether, but most people just would not be bothered (and there is the risk of bricking your Kindle, and being caught by Amazon), even 50Mega is enough for occasional use abroad.

BASICALLY IT IS A NOVELTY FOR MOST - OR FOR EMERGENCIES, WHICH ARE RARE.

Last edited by peter12345; 07-29-2012 at 03:48 AM.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #78
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
Hello Andrys,

No, I don't mind sharing a bit of information. I bought my Kindle Keyboard 3G in January 2011, ordering from my home here in Canada, and it was shipped to me from the United States. The only time I've taken my Kindle abroad was in May 2011, on a short trip to the UK. (During that time I did indeed use it for a spot of 3G connectivity whenever I couldn't get local access to wireless.) Since then it's stayed with me here in Canada. I have never been resident in the U.S. since owning the Kindle, nor have I pretended to be.
Thanks for that, Chamekke. Then it's just as it appears on the Amazon's page for non-USA owners.

Quote:
That said... I live very close to the American border. How close? Often, if I walk one block south of my home, my mobile phone chirps with an automated Telus text message welcoming me to the U.S.A. and reminding me of my roaming plan! (This is very common in my area of town, where our mobile devices get picked up by American 3G towers all the time.) I don't know if that's salient, probably not, but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention.
I guess it would depend on whether you were at home when you got the 50MB notice or one block south of your home. That's funny!

Quote:
Here's something interesting I discovered this afternoon! I was out on the balcony reading a previously-downloaded book sample on my Kindle. I hadn't bothered turning on our home network so, no wireless. I decided the sample was good enough to warrant buying the book at $10, and since Amazon IS supposed to provide continuous 3G connectivity to the Amazon Kindle store (and Wikipedia), even after the monthly 50MB limit has run out, I didn't bother running in and turning on our wireless -- I just pressed Buy and waited for the 3G connection to click in so that I could complete the transaction.

Whereupon I got a message saying I couldn't connect, and would I like to join a Wi-Fi network so that I could do so?
Their software would have to be reprogrammed to recognize the situation of a person who has used the 3G web browsing enough so that 50MB of data transfer had been logged. It's apparently just stuck in a binary Yes/No on whether you get any 3G at all. What you expected is logical but this 50MB rule is pretty new and all they've applied so far is a closed gate.

Quote:
I tried 3 or 4 times to get through to the Amazon Kindle store -- turning the 'wireless' on and off each time in the hope it would connect via 3G -- and never managed to get through.

So, erm, yeah. I'm wondering how many impulse buys Amazon may have lost because they've accidentally locked the 3G down too much?
I'll mention it when I blog the update later today.

Thanks!
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #79
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Yeah, I noticed! o_0

First head over the parapet, that's me.

BTW, I'd never even heard of tethering until this thread. Yikes, no wonder they established a limit.

You're famouse now, and also, promoting our beloved Forum / Site ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #80
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that is sad that Amazon started controlling or reducing 3G usage. This is in direct result of some people abusing of the service or using the Kindle for much more than reading ebooks.

Hope the Amazon store access won't be affected , don't think so, but this is why I've always being so reluctant of cracking and rooting devices; Long term, we end affecting those companies, even when it's not our intention.

I'm a strong advocate of paying for what I use or need, that includes Internet access.
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #81
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The symptoms you describe are nothing to do with Amazon locking anything down; it indicates a problem with your local 3G coverage. Try taking your Kindle a couple of miles away and try to connect again. I suspect the local cell tower has a fault.
The funny thing is that the 3G indicator is on when this happens, with a strength of 4 or 5 bars... that's why I thought it might not be purely a connectivity issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try!
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #82
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Their software would have to be reprogrammed to recognize the situation of a person who has used the 3G web browsing enough so that 50MB of data transfer had been logged. It's apparently just stuck in a binary Yes/No on whether you get any 3G at all. What you expected is logical but this 50MB rule is pretty new and all they've applied so far is a closed gate.
As I was explaining to Harry, my Kindle was showing as being connected to 3G (4 or 5 bars in strength) but when I tried to connect to the Kindle Store, I got the previously-mentioned notification telling me I'd hit my limit and that I'd have to go connect via wi-fi if I wanted to visit that webpage.

Harry thinks it might be due to a hiccup in my local 3G connectivity, and he could be right. I'll readily admit that my assumption it was to do with Amazon Kindle locking things down too far could have been premature.

Anyhow I'm a sample of 1, here... not enough to extrapolate from, I think!

On another note, I've been wondering if the 50MB cap is being introduced in the foreign market as something of a trial run, to test the waters and see how much public reaction/pushback Amazon Kindle are likely to get if they introduce it domestically.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #83
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I think that is sad that Amazon started controlling or reducing 3G usage. This is in direct result of some people abusing of the service or using the Kindle for much more than reading ebooks.
If someone isn't using the Kindle for "much more than eBooks," how the heck can they be using up more than fifty million bytes a month of internet?

Now, personally, I do use the Kindle for "much more than eBooks," because I use it at least as much to read essays and news articles as to read books. Some of this involves the browser, and some does not.

The great thing about the browser, for me, is that you can get a broader international perspective on the news. Here are examples that have rarely if ever been mentioned before on this site:

http://m.timesofindia.com/

http://k.nhk.jp/daily/

http://mobile.ghanaweb.com/wap

http://m.theage.com.au/

With large print, thanks to Robin Gardner's readingthenet.com, these are respectively:

http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=...mesofindia.com

http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=....jp%2Fdaily%2F

http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=...aweb.com%2Fwap

http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=...eage.com.au%2F

Above four in easy-to-enter format are respectively:

tinyurl.com/7gmf6ae

tinyurl.com/d9lwp85

tinyurl.com/d4qvhxm

tinyurl.com/cn6kr4l

Even if people add a bit of emailing to internet eReading of sites like these, I don't see getting to 50M in a month, especially after a confirming opinion in #68 (thanks andrys). Disabling of images recommended.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #84
jocampo
Layback feline

@Steve,

If the Kindle is hacked to be a wifi hotspot , it can certainly hit or allow high traffic. Now, I don't know exactly how much, but it can be several MBs or more depending of the site. That's what I was referring to when I made my comment. I can't imagine how someone can hit more than that using Wikipedia only.

Also, while I totally respect your opinion about using the Kindle for more than reading books or using Wikipedia, maybe emails, I think that the browser is totally useless. It's handy , but nothing more. The slow page refresh of the eink screen does not make the experience a good one.

I like o have the 3G because I can buy and download from everywhere, even when I'm visiting my family in South America. And for Wikipedia is really nice too, because Wikipedia is mostly text with a few static images.

I prefer a tablet for browsing Internet and use my Kindle 3G for reading only. Less distractions, the better.

Last edited by jocampo; 07-30-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #85
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What if Amazon made tethering legal, so they could charge like 10MB per pence for 3G when abroad, or home?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #86
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
What if Amazon made tethering legal, so they could charge like 10MB per pence for 3G when abroad, or home?
What if you requested that feature from amazon at their own kindle support website? Would they be more likely to see it then, and perhaps even respond to your "what if" proposal? Did you ask them? Did they answer?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #87
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well, I guess you can say "thank you" to people such as this guy.
We've all seen people like these around us, so selfish and foolish... Yet they think they're very smart as they're milking!

Sorry for my bad language, but one word can describe a person like HackJack: Bastard! Stupid!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #88
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Hello Andrys,

No, I don't mind sharing a bit of information. I bought my Kindle Keyboard 3G
[...]
Here's something interesting I discovered this afternoon! I was out on the balcony reading a previously-downloaded book sample on my Kindle. I hadn't bothered turning on our home network so, no wireless. I decided the sample was good enough to warrant buying the book at $10, and since Amazon IS supposed to provide continuous 3G connectivity to the Amazon Kindle store (and Wikipedia), even after the monthly 50MB limit has run out, I didn't bother running in and turning on our wireless -- I just pressed Buy and waited for the 3G connection to click in so that I could complete the transaction.

Whereupon I got a message saying I couldn't connect, and would I like to join a Wi-Fi network so that I could do so? {...}
This may not be triggered by the over 50M state.

I have had exactly this behavior here at home in the UK. The problem goes away in an hour or two or if I go for a walk to another cell.

What I theorise is happening is that the local cell/ tower is heavily loaded and is discarding lower priority requests (or the network itself has problems so even voice is problematical).

Thus if Amazon is only paying for a lowish data priority (possibly different for web browsing and Kindle store) the signal strength is indeed three bars but nothing can be sent.

Sometimes a message then follows suggesting I try a restart.

As to 50 MB a month being reasonable, I use the web browser to get a free daily newspaper at 1-5 MB per day
http://mythic-beasts.com/~mark/rando...an-for-kindle/
or download a book from Baenebooks.com at less than a MB.

So a couple of weeks outside Britain would get me over the limit.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #89
peter12345
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
I have not asked Amazon about this, as I know the answer, The Kindle Phone!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #90
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well, I guess you can say "thank you" to people such as this guy.
I wouldn't use Torrent with the Kindle but extensive surfng is fine. They give the option and I see no reason or guilt to do what you're allowed to do by the contract with Amazon.#

IMHO you're not a 'bad apple' if you hit that limit by surfing with your Kindle.

Last edited by joblack; 08-19-2012 at 06:58 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote