Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #1306
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, an indication of which books in the list had annotations would be good. But, with the recent firmware, you can get to them without opening the book. Long press on the book and the menu will have "Annotations" if the book has annotations.
Thanks, David - I had just come back to report this feature after playing with my Touch (ooerr!) this afternoon.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #1307
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
An option to remove all annotations (or by type: all highlights, all bookmarks...) would be useful too. Or is it there already? I looked for it (not very exhaustively) and didn't find it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #1308
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Yes, an indication of which books in the list had annotations would be good. But, with the recent firmware, you can get to them without opening the book. Long press on the book and the menu will have "Annotations" if the book has annotations.
I have my Kobo set up to update every night, and I don't have the "annotations" option. It says it was last updated this morning at 1:49 am.

Edit: going to do a manual sync now and see if that changes anything.

Edit edit: Nope, I still don't have that option in the long press menu.

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 06-17-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #1309
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
An option to remove all annotations (or by type: all highlights, all bookmarks...) would be useful too. Or is it there already? I looked for it (not very exhaustively) and didn't find it.
It's already there. Sort of. Kobo are working on the Annotations list. A partial update went out in FW3.4.1. But, that was only released for the Mini, and the Mini isn't using the new Annotations list, only those who sideloaded it on a Glo, Aura or Aura HD will see it. It will be on all devices for the next release.

I think I posted the changes elsewhere, but, they are:
  • Two views: Notebook (shows the annotations) and List
  • Search (not working yet)
  • Filtering by type - All, Highlights, Notes or Bookmarks
  • Sorting - Location or Recent (date created)
  • "Remove All" option
  • Tapping an entry in the Notebook view does the "Show in book" action
  • Display of the location in the book has changed
There are some other changes in the annotations as well that are interesting. When making an annotation, the note taking uses sentence case (turns caps on for the first letter after a dot) and shows a count of the number of characters typed (both useless and interesting).

From memory, all these changes are in FW3.4.1. But, there are a few problems. These should be fixed for the next release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #1310
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
I have my Kobo set up to update every night, and I don't have the "annotations" option. It says it was last updated this morning at 1:49 am.

Edit: going to do a manual sync now and see if that changes anything.

Edit edit: Nope, I still don't have that option in the long press menu.
What firmware version do you have now? I'm pretty sure the options was added in 3.3.0. That should have gone out to everyone by now.
Advert
Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #1311
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
What firmware version do you have now? I'm pretty sure the options was added in 3.3.0. That should have gone out to everyone by now.
My software version says it's 3.3.0, with a date of 4/17/14.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #1312
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My software version says it's 3.3.0, with a date of 4/17/14.
That's the latest generally available firmware. 3.3.1 was only for the Brazilian version of Portuguese and 3.4.1 was only for the Mini. I checked last night before posting on one of my Touches. I was thinking it had 3.3.0 on it, but I might have sideloaded 3.3.1.

Just to be sure:

- Open a book and add an annotation
- Close the book
- Go to the library list and find the book
- Tap the menu icon for the book to display the menu (or long press on it)

If the firmware you have supports it, "Annotations" will be the second item on the menu.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #1313
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
That's the latest generally available firmware. 3.3.1 was only for the Brazilian version of Portuguese and 3.4.1 was only for the Mini. I checked last night before posting on one of my Touches. I was thinking it had 3.3.0 on it, but I might have sideloaded 3.3.1.

Just to be sure:

- Open a book and add an annotation
- Close the book
- Go to the library list and find the book
- Tap the menu icon for the book to display the menu (or long press on it)

If the firmware you have supports it, "Annotations" will be the second item on the menu.
No joy. I did as you said, went back to the book, and this is what I have available from the long press menu:

View details
Mark as unread
Mark as finished
Add to collection
Remove

That's it.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #1314
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I have an Aura with 3.3.0, and I'm almost sure I saw the Annotations menu entry (I don't have it now with me), but it might have been elsewhere.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #1315
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I just checked, my other Touch was not running either 3.3.0 or 3.3.1. And I've just tried both of these, and neither have the annotations menu option. Look like it was introduced with 3.4.1.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:22 AM   #1316
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
would love full dropbox integration
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:07 AM   #1317
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The PDF reader STILL cuts off half pages. No other pdf reader on any computer does this.

It seems it uses the dimensions of the first page in the document. If there are bigger pages afterwards it will crop them. This is nonsense behaviour.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245627

Last edited by ksiflhjla8; 09-07-2014 at 11:05 AM.
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #1318
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
This has probably been mentioned before, but I haven't seen it recently, so I'll bring it up.

I would love the ability to see if there are any (and if so, how many) annotations for each book in my list. Right now, only the ones that appear on the main page show annotation information, but once they're bumped, that's it. There's no way for me to know which books in my library list have them.

Just a simple icon (the pencil would do) could appear under the percentage read, on the right-hand side of the book information. Touching that would bring up the annotations for each book.
Great idea!
+1
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #1319
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrispa View Post
I'd really appreciate
(1) The ability to hide the control surfaces in the Kobo Touch/Glo Web browser. I would love to have the websites in fullscreen mode and have the address bar/zoom visible when clicking on a certain area (like the controls when reading an ebook).

(2) The PDF support has gotten a lot better in 2.4.0, but I would like to manually control whether the page-turning margins are shown next to pages.
Totally agree with you, the web browser would be more usable with a fullscreen mode.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:48 AM   #1320
dennis123
dennis123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura HD
I have a single request:
I got a lot of e-books in my Kobo Aura HD. There is no way to check what the book is about. I don't see any summary so I have to Google the book titles.
(this does not apply to the books from the Kobo store). It would be really nice if there is some link to the book summary instead of only a small picture of the cover.
dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote