Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never heard of an arrangement like that! I very much doubt that will be the case. Bookeen have already announced that the CyBook will be available in "basic" and "deluxe" packages - the latter including a charger and a leather cover.
So the basic version doesn't have a charger or any sort of cover?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the basic version doesn't have a charger or any sort of cover?
That would appear to be the situation. USB charging only. I don't know whether the basic package will include a cheaper cover, but the "deluxe" package will include a leather cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #63
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
That would appear to be the situation. USB charging only.
Ah well, usb charging is allready one step up from the Iliad.
Zipped file support means that .cbr comics/manga will be no problem.
So, thats 2 steps up.
fast pageturn is step nimber 3.

Now all we need is a really, really decent batterylife and suspend mode.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5 View Post
Ah well, usb charging is allready one step up from the Iliad.
Zipped file support means that .cbr comics/manga will be no problem.
So, thats 2 steps up.
fast pageturn is step nimber 3.

But, the iLiad has a higher resolution and 16 shades. So it's still one up from anything else.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5 View Post
What do you mean by a "suspend mode", as a matter of interest?

With the Sony Reader, the machine never turns off - all the "off" button does is disable the screen and most of the buttons - so you turn it on and it's available for instant use. Do you mean that you'd like to see a real way of turning the machine off, so you'd increase the battery life at the expense of a longer start-up time?

I prefer the "instant use" of the Reader, personally. OK, the machine's battery goes flat after about 3-4 weeks, whether it's used or not, (because the operating system is always running) but I can live with that.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #66
Laurie M.
Laurie M. began at the beginning.

Device: Hiebook/PC
I am so glad I stumbled onto this forum. I almost went out and purchased a Sony, but once I received the email from Bookeen I decided to wait and see what all the talk was about.
Unfortunately I have still been using an old Hiebook reader, but it works and I can read my books while traveling. Reading this forum has helped me make a decision into which one to buy. I don't like being told where to buy my books in order for them to work on a device. I think I can wait until September and still use my PC and Hiebook.
Thanks for all the information!

Laurie
Laurie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Welcome to MobileRead Laurie. I hope the Cybook will be everything you imagine it to be. The Sony is a nice device, but I do feel that BBeB format is a highly restrictive format as far as widespread ease of purchasing books. MobiPocket will make a wider range of books available to you in DRM format then the Sony has. Plus the new Vizplex screen should be nice.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #68
Laurie M.
Laurie M. began at the beginning.

Device: Hiebook/PC
Thanks for the welcome. I read so much I have already burned through 3 Hiebooks over the years. I can't imagine traveling with paper books any more. When the Bookeen announcement came out, I was a little unsure of the date it would be available since they wrote "next" September. I also don't like the look of the Amazon Kindle and have a feeling you would only be able to buy from Amazon to read on it.
It will be nice to have a better screen to read with so I can't wait to see this new device.

Laurie
Laurie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #69
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
What do you mean by a "suspend mode", as a matter of interest?

With the Sony Reader, the machine never turns off - all the "off" button does is disable the screen and most of the buttons - so you turn it on and it's available for instant use. Do you mean that you'd like to see a real way of turning the machine off, so you'd increase the battery life at the expense of a longer start-up time?

I prefer the "instant use" of the Reader, personally. OK, the machine's battery goes flat after about 3-4 weeks, whether it's used or not, (because the operating system is always running) but I can live with that.
Right...your battery goes flat after 3 to 4 weeks but you can live with that and on top of that you have instant use.
I need to sit down now and have a strong cup of cofee.
You lucky ^#%*!! ( please note the smiley)

My Iliad can only be switched on or off completely, no instant use, has a battery life of just about 5 hours and has a startup time of at least 1 minute.
As you can understand I would absolutely love a suspend mode or as you call it "the machine never turns off".

Quote:
But, the iLiad has a higher resolution and 16 shades. So it's still one up from anything else.
Those 16 shades of grey do not impress me too much.
I use my ebook readers mostly for..well, reading.
With older ebook readers such as Hiebook (filthy green when backlit) and Rocket Ebook I never missed those greyshades.
The first Cybook ofcourse had colour but I never used that much.

The higher resolution is also not something I think I'll miss.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #70
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
@High5: Your 5 hours on the iLiad are not normal. It should be at least around 10.

Though i have to say, just for reading, i will probably like it. I have to get me one of those. It lighter, lasts longer, and if it can do PDF, its very interesting, even if the screen is smaller.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Sony does PDF. Poorly, but it does it. Unless the Gen3 has pan & zoom, then it's PDF display won't be any better then the Sony.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #72
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
The Sony does PDF. Poorly, but it does it. Unless the Gen3 has pan & zoom, then it's PDF display won't be any better then the Sony.
I don't really mind. I'm used to reading PDF files that are generated for the Sony PRS-500. I've tried using LRF too, but I like PDF better. The lack of hyphenation and of a proper justified text are enough reasons for me to read using PDF instead of LRF. I don't need to change the size of the text either once I've selected the right font & size for my device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I don't really mind. I'm used to reading PDF files that are generated for the Sony PRS-500.
Unfortunately when most people say "PDF" what they actually mean is "A4/Letter PDF" which, as you know, cannot sensibly be displayed on a screen 1/6th the area of an A4 screen.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And we have heard no word on how the Gen3 will handle PDF that is US letter sized.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #75
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Unfortunately when most people say "PDF" what they actually mean is "A4/Letter PDF" which, as you know, cannot sensibly be displayed on a screen 1/6th the area of an A4 screen.
It depends. Some PDF can. You can generate reflowable PDF too, although it's not supported on the Sony Reader. A simple support for this feature would be even better than pan/zoom.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote