Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Sell liseuses via 'tupperware party'?
Yes, we should be flogging liseuses like there's no tomorrow! 9 36.00%
No, selling liseuses is the job of retailers and liseuse manufacturers 3 12.00%
The blue one next to the fish 13 52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In accordance with item 2 of the Posting Guidelines, please keep this thread on-topic.

Thank you,

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm as likely to have a liseuse party as I am a LeWindows 7 party.

(For those who aren't aware, LeWindows 7 is an operating system made by Microsoft, more commonly called Windows 7) .
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In accordance with item 2 of the Posting Guidelines, please keep this thread on-topic.
Wouldn't a poll about lamps or antique writing desks be inherently off-topic on this site in any case?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Thank you,

[Moderator]
Is that aimed at me? Im serious I dont know what the word means?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Is that aimed at me? Im serious I dont know what the word means?
If "liseuse" then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
(For those who aren't aware, a liseuse is a ebook reader device, distinct from an ordinary PC with ebooks on it..)
If "spruiker", then...

Quote:
From Wiktionary:

Noun

spruiker (plural spruikers)

1. (Australian) One who promotes his own cause; one who toots their own horn.
2. (figuratively) A person standing outside a place of business trying to persuade patrons to enter, or vigorously trying to persuade customers to purchase their wares (ie. a fruiterer calling out the price of bananas).

Related terms

* spruik
Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
What's the point nobody will come, they will think I am trying to sell them some anti lice medication.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I moved this discussion to the Lounge, due to the inherent silliness of Tupperware Parties.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #23
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
spruiker (plural spruikers)

1. (Australian) ...one who toots their own horn.
We have a different word for that in the UK.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #24
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Maybe, if you included a free set of tupperware bowls with the lesuices.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
What's the point nobody will come, they will think I am trying to sell them some anti lice medication.
Exactly! It's been 5 or 6 yrs since the last time I got guilted into having a Tupperware party. But at least with those, you get lots of prizes for hosting. However, with an ebook reader (aka liseuseseesuess), where's my incentive to humiliate myself by forcing my friends to attend and guilting them into buying overpriced stuff they don't want or need? The satisfaction of knowing more people are reading isn't enough to make me want to invite/blackmail a bunch of people into my house for the presentation and cookies.

Whatever happened to Pampered Chef, Home Interiors, and Sarah Coventry Jewelry? I've done my share of hosting and/or attending those also. I've gotten old and mean, and learned how to say "no," so I haven't been invited to one in a long time. YAY!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #26
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Exactly! It's been 5 or 6 yrs since the last time I got guilted into having a Tupperware party. But at least with those, you get lots of prizes for hosting. However, with an ebook reader (aka liseuseseesuess), where's my incentive to humiliate myself by forcing my friends to attend and guilting them into buying overpriced stuff they don't want or need? The satisfaction of knowing more people are reading isn't enough to make me want to invite/blackmail a bunch of people into my house for the presentation and cookies.

Whatever happened to Pampered Chef, Home Interiors, and Sarah Coventry Jewelry? I've done my share of hosting and/or attending those also. I've gotten old and mean, and learned how to say "no," so I haven't been invited to one in a long time. YAY!
I hope I haven't gotten old and mean (and I seriously doubt you have either, DG ~ I've read your posts and know that's not possible) but I stopped going to home parties because I always feel guilty if I don't buy something.

If there were liseuse (ereader for the sticklers out there) parties, I would think it should be more of a type of tutoring rather than trying to sell them. I would be happy to hold tutoring sessions on using the Sony readers I own so that they are accessible to more people. I think they are a great product, warts and all, and could prove very useful for people who have difficulties with reading paper books (eye impairments, etc.).
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #27
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Worst thread ever?
I hope not
Quote:
I have no clue what the spruiker anyone is going on about.
My Australian English at work there with the word spruik
Example:

Last edited by AprilHare; 09-23-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Example
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
it soulds as if it should be beside a bidet...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #29
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I've tried to sell some of my fellow Americans on liseuses, but they usually say something like "I'd rather check out my livres from the bibliothèque"...

Oh, wait, they don't say that.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #30
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I've tried to sell some of my fellow Americans on liseuses, but they usually say something like "I'd rather check out my livres from the bibliothèque"...

Oh, wait, they don't say that.
Obvious language troll is obvious.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote