Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Sony PRS 600 cover with light

Sorry if this has been asked, but how will one operate the touch screen if it has a wedge light over it? I'm thinking of the light cover on my 505. Or, does anyone know if something different is planned for the light?
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you know, i was wondering the same thing. i wonder whether the screen will have to plug into the reader somehow (usb ?) and act as a digitiser, or whether you'll just have to turn pages with the buttons (but presumably that means no using the functions like search and notes with the lighted cover...) or maybe they're not going to make a light wedge cover but a clip-on light for it instead...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There are hardware buttons for page turning, so you should be able to change pages without removing the light. You will probably have to lift it for other operations that involve the touch screen.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I was more thinking on something comparable to the current way the lighting works on the 700 (but removable). A rim you put over the bezel that has lights that shine downwards.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
There are hardware buttons for page turning, so you should be able to change pages without removing the light. You will probably have to lift it for other operations that involve the touch screen.
seems likely, i agree. in that case i think a clip-on light might be a better choice.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I was more thinking on something comparable to the current way the lighting works on the 700 (but removable). A rim you put over the bezel that has lights that shine downwards.
would that work, with no pane to diffuse the light ? (sincere question, i really don't know).
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
would that work, with no pane to diffuse the light ? (sincere question, i really don't know).
No idea, as I've no idea how that light works with the 505 either. But how would it be different with a clip-on-light? If you shine downward, it should reflect off the e-ink surface, just like all light. But, with a clip-on-light, you need a fairly bright source of light because a lot get lost to the surrounding area. If you make a rim, with more smaller lights, the individual lights can be dimmer but the total would give the same amount of light.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
No idea, as I've no idea how that light works with the 505 either. But how would it be different with a clip-on-light? If you shine downward, it should reflect off the e-ink surface, just like all light. But, with a clip-on-light, you need a fairly bright source of light because a lot get lost to the surrounding area. If you make a rim, with more smaller lights, the individual lights can be dimmer but the total would give the same amount of light.
hm, you might be on to something. but i would think that with the lightsource so close to the lighted surface, and no diffuser, the light puddle would be very small because it wouldn't have enough distance to spread out, so to speak. i could be wrong though.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, you might be on to something. but i would think that with the lightsource so close to the lighted surface, and no diffuser, the light puddle would be very small because it wouldn't have enough distance to spread out, so to speak. i could be wrong though.
That might depend on what source of light you use. If the light itself was already diffuse, it wouldn't need much of a diffuser. You normally get that diffuse light if you move the light source away from your object. Or, if you put it at an angle to your object...

It will be LED based, I think we can all agree on that, but not all LED's are created equal...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
That might depend on what source of light you use. If the light itself was already diffuse, it wouldn't need much of a diffuser. You normally get that diffuse light if you move the light source away from your object. Or, if you put it at an angle to your object...

It will be LED based, I think we can all agree on that, but not all LED's are created equal...
hm, yes, good point. well, i really don't know !
Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I was wondering this same question as to the light. I have the 505 w/ light wedge cover and the 700, so I was wondering if that silver part just below the screen my also be a touch surface that could be used to "swipe" for page turning. As for the other options, I'd have to life the wedge.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
This is an interesting discussion. I have the 505 with the light wedge and it works great, but a bit too bulky and clumsy for reading in bed lying on your side. Thus my purchase of the 700, which also works great.

But I really do want the dictionary and handwritten note capability of the 600, so I hope there is a good solution for the add-on light for the 600.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm pretty interested in how this will work too. I have the light wedge cover for the 505, and I was kinda hoping that it would work with the 600 (unlikely I know). But I hadn't really thought about how the touch screen interface would change things...

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

We need some pictures of the various accessoires you can buy!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
mrgiedrnkr
Enthusiast
mrgiedrnkr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I got my 600 and 300 today. The 600 will not work with the light wedge. It is too thick - the light wedge won't lay flat. BUMMER. The 300 isn't large enough to clip into the light wedge but the wedge does lay flat on top of it and you could use it.
Stacy
mrgiedrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote