Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #1261
Davinia
Davinia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo, Sony ereader, Pocketbook 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpuncher View Post
I would like to see more sorting and searching options.
Here are some suggestions:

For the Library menu:

- Add a Authors item that leads to a list of all the authors on the device.
- Add a Series item that leads to a list of all the book series on the device.

For the suggested Author menu:

- Selecting an author would lead to a list of titles by that author, but the first items on the list would be:
+ Series by author leading to a list of series by that author, which in turn lead to a list of books within that series
+ Shelves containing books by author leading to a list of shelves, which in turn lead to a list of books within that shelf. Maybe with an option to show just the books for that author or show everything on the shelf.
- A way to only show books that don't belong to a series might be to have another item called something like Standalone books or a toggle to show/not show books belonging to series in the list.
Exacly what I wanted to suggest, only better formulated. I would just like to add that the books within a series should ideally be set in reading order (if you numbered them in Calibre).

I've had a couple of readers now and while I love my new Kobo glo, I still miss some of my Pocketbook features (yeah, I missed them in the Sony too). Pocketbook let you make your own structure, just the way you liked it, just by utilising explorer.
I've since gotten used to working with Calibre for my Sony and now my Kobo (Thank you (bigtime) David for the shelves-mod!).

I switched to Kobo purely for the nifty screen ilumination, but was sorely disappointed by the library options and desktop software by Kobo. It's nice that I can now sort (somewhat) my books with Calibre and de Shelves-Mod (by David). But that should really be standard.
Davinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #1262
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
I have a suggestion regarding the dictionary feature (using a couple of custom English dictionaries). I'm using a Kobo Touch N905 with firmware 3.0.0, just in case other hardware revisions or models handle it differently.

When selecting the word/phrase to be translated, a popup window appears. On the upper right corner, there is an empty space. Please put a dictionary selector/drop down list up there, so one can switch dictionaries without going to the menue (i.e. select word > click dictionary icon on the left side of "bottom menue bar" > select entry "Dictionary" > select another dictionary in the drop down list).

That would be great!
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #1263
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Bring back the Return to "Library" and Return to "Home" links from within the reading mode. It is getting quite annoying to have to return to Home before going back to the library and search once more to select another book that was near the first one. Also the removal of those links basically increases the wear and tear on the physical 'home' button, an unfortunate side-effect.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #1264
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
@Xennex1170, which firmware are you using? Because in 2.10 (I don't have 3.0) there's an icon (top left) to go back to the home page and "books" (bottom left) will bring you back to the library.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #1265
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
@Xennex1170, which firmware are you using? Because in 2.10 (I don't have 3.0) there's an icon (top left) to go back to the home page and "books" (bottom left) will bring you back to the library.
Using 3.0.1 that got downloaded today.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #1266
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Using 3.0.1 that got downloaded today.
As samhy said, you should see "Books" in the bottom left when you open a book from the home screen or the library list. If you open it from a shelf/collection, it will have "Collection" and if you open it from a search, it will be "Search". Pressing that takes you back the place displayed. This is a very welcome return of a function that was there a long time ago.

The other devices have a home icon in the top left of the screen. But, the Touch has the physical home button, so the icon isn't displayed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #1267
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As samhy said, you should see "Books" in the bottom left when you open a book from the home screen or the library list. If you open it from a shelf/collection, it will have "Collection" and if you open it from a search, it will be "Search". Pressing that takes you back the place displayed. This is a very welcome return of a function that was there a long time ago.

The other devices have a home icon in the top left of the screen. But, the Touch has the physical home button, so the icon isn't displayed.
My KT currently has 3.0.1 (644485e229, 11/21/13) installed and when I open a kepub, epub or newspaper, it makes no difference.. There is nothing on the lower left of the screen when I bring up the 'menu'. In kepubs I see a link labeled "xx% read" which when clicked brings up info on the kepub. I have a suspicion that something got reverted between 3.0.1 and 3.0.0.. The "Books/Collection/Search" does NOT appear on my device and did not appear on the previous firmware that was installed (2.5.2)
Old 11-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #1268
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
My KT currently has 3.0.1 (644485e229, 11/21/13) installed and when I open a kepub, epub or newspaper, it makes no difference.. There is nothing on the lower left of the screen when I bring up the 'menu'. In kepubs I see a link labeled "xx% read" which when clicked brings up info on the kepub. I have a suspicion that something got reverted between 3.0.1 and 3.0.0.. The "Books/Collection/Search" does NOT appear on my device and did not appear on the previous firmware that was installed (2.5.2)
No, I forgot that this wasn't added to the Touch. With 3.0.0, the Touch was updated to the new home page, but not the rest of the interface. What you are seeing is what is expected for this firmware on the Touch.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #1269
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
No, I forgot that this wasn't added to the Touch. With 3.0.0, the Touch was updated to the new home page, but not the rest of the interface. What you are seeing is what is expected for this firmware on the Touch.
Then, my bad Xennex1170
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #1270
emgeejay
emgeejay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I read a lot of non-fiction books, and clicking endnote links on my Glo is always a pain in the neck. The press always gets read as a page-turn, leaving me flipping back and forth until I finally manage to click the link after a dozen times or so.

I wish the Glo had an option where presses in the general vicinity of a hyperlink would get read as a press on that link rather than a page turn. Is this technically possible, or am I dreaming?
emgeejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #1271
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgeejay View Post
I read a lot of non-fiction books, and clicking endnote links on my Glo is always a pain in the neck. The press always gets read as a page-turn, leaving me flipping back and forth until I finally manage to click the link after a dozen times or so.

I wish the Glo had an option where presses in the general vicinity of a hyperlink would get read as a press on that link rather than a page turn. Is this technically possible, or am I dreaming?
Maybe give kepubs a try? Endnotes with kepubs work much better (then epubs, for me).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #1272
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to see a little change in the book menu behavior. I like to use the stats (while I'm reading) to determine how much time is left. Currently, while reading, I do the following:

1) tap on bottom to get book menu
2) click on percent to bring up the stats
3) the stats come up
4) click on the screen to dismiss the stats
5) click on the screen to dismiss the book menu

I would like to eliminate step 5, so that clicking on the screen while the stats are displayed brings me right back to reading.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #1273
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

John F: Based on that description, you are using older firmware. The way the current firmware works is probably even better for you:
  1. Tap screen bottom/centre to bring up book menu
  2. Tap graph icon to display the stats
  3. Tap the text are to dismiss the stats and book menu
  4. Tap screen bottom/centre to bring up book menu but, this time the stats will be displayed.

The change is that when the book menu is displayed, it remember if either the stats or navigation bar were displayed the last time. If so, it redisplays them.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #1274
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
John F: Based on that description, you are using older firmware. The way the current firmware works is probably even better for you:
  1. Tap screen bottom/centre to bring up book menu
  2. Tap graph icon to display the stats
  3. Tap the text are to dismiss the stats and book menu
  4. Tap screen bottom/centre to bring up book menu but, this time the stats will be displayed.

The change is that when the book menu is displayed, it remember if either the stats or navigation bar were displayed the last time. If so, it redisplays them.
That sounds nice. Once they bring back stats for sideloaded kepubs, I'll be all set.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #1275
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That sounds nice. Once they bring back stats for sideloaded kepubs, I'll be all set.
I knew you were going to say that