Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturox View Post
SWMBO want's the page goto so who am I to argue. ;-)

It seems quite a logical request, but on a personal note as I don't use a Kobo, outside of her asking, I'm not particularly interested in the problem.

The device I use does do page goto...

Bottom line I guess, I asked on her behalf, It doesn't, and it appears probably never will.

Thanks and goodbye.
Ax
Well the kindle held on to locations for years before implementing page numbers. But they did put them in eventually due to the huge number of people wanting page numbers and goto page numbers. Stands to reason that if Kobo can somehow figure out how to do it they will eventually.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Well the kindle held on to locations for years before implementing page numbers. But they did put them in eventually due to the huge number of people wanting page numbers and goto page numbers. Stands to reason that if Kobo can somehow figure out how to do it they will eventually.

Helen
But if they do I would expect to see it only in their kepub engine and not the adobe based engine for ePubs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But if they do I would expect to see it only in their kepub engine and not the adobe based engine for ePubs.
Probably you are right
Helen
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo
I'm still totally boggled that the writers of the software of ANY electronic book reader are such dumb (Rude word) that they don't/didn't incorporate a page Goto from the getgo.

I can only assume, aside from reading the Idiots Guide to Coding, they've never read a real book, ever.

Gordon Bennett, it's enough to make you bang 'yer head on the desk to make sure this is not the Twilight Zone.

Ax
arturox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #20
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

How interesting...
At the moment she has in use a Kobo Touch, but her previous older Kobo (Model from before the Touch) does have a Page Go in the menu options.

The firmware version of that is 1.910 (r32284, Sep 8 2011)

And it most positively does have a page GOTO, as I got her to demonstrate it.

So why is it not there in later models and firmware versions?

Ax
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Because the UI / UX experts at Kobo felt it was not needed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
SWMBO want's the page goto so who am I to argue. ;-)

It seems quite a logical request, but on a personal note as I don't use a Kobo, outside of her asking, I'm not particularly interested in the problem.

The device I use does do page goto...

Bottom line I guess, I asked on her behalf, It doesn't, and it appears probably never will.

Thanks and goodbye.
Ax
The device I use, a Kobo AuraHD, also "does do page goto", but that is with alternative reading software (Koreader).

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Perhaps. I rarely use the goto page number on my T1 because the slidebar works so nicely. Mostly I use goto to switch from reading my mini on the bus to my Sony because I want to continue to read the same book. Perhaps I would switch to my Aura HD instead if it was as convenient.

Helen
Old 11-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
arturox
Enthusiast

Quote:
That's a contradiction in terms... The Experts at Kobo, Pah!
If they felt it was not needed, why is it in some versions but not others, more like lazy coding?

And I bet they write from the bottom of the page upwards as well.

From what I've now seen of the User interfaces of two Kobo devices she has, I would seriously suggest your experts go back to the Dummies book of UIs and start again.

Ax
Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's a contradiction in terms... The Experts at Kobo, Pah!
If they felt it was not needed, why is it in some versions but not others, more like lazy coding?
The model that does have the go-to-page does not have a touch screen. Hence the navigation methods that could be implemented are different. A go-to-page option is the simplest way I can think of implement stepping through a book without the use of touch screen or mouse or similar.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
How interesting...
At the moment she has in use a Kobo Touch, but her previous older Kobo (Model from before the Touch) does have a Page Go in the menu options.

The firmware version of that is 1.910 (r32284, Sep 8 2011)

And it most positively does have a page GOTO, as I got her to demonstrate it.

So why is it not there in later models and firmware versions?

Ax
The Kobo and Kobo WiFi used a D-pad to navigate. No touch interface, no slider to move through the pages. As for selecting the page number to go to? Using the D-pad to do this -- down and left to a number, click the center of the pad to select, up and two right for the next number, click on it, down 2 and 1 right for the 3rd page number, click on it. Navigate up to the GoTo and click on it. About as convenient as entering a code on your game console. Sorry but I owned both of those Kobos and the touch screen/slider is a heck of a lot easier to use.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kobo and Kobo WiFi used a D-pad to navigate. Sorry but I owned both of those Kobos and the touch screen/slider is a heck of a lot easier to use.
Agreed.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just tried using the slider to navigate to a page, and I couldn't. I gave up after a minute of trying, the closest I could get was within 20 pages. This was on a Glo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just tried using the slider to navigate to a page, and I couldn't. I gave up after a minute of trying, the closest I could get was within 20 pages. This was on a Glo.
For a more serious challenge try it on a mini.
Rolling your finger on the bar can get you to within +/- 5 pages eventually though.

Helen
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
You've got me thinking dammit.
Do you mean that the goto page number function as in the goto page number in the my collections/shelf view is part of the renderer? I wouldn't think so, but what do I know.

Helen