Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
QED

58999999 +11 = 59000009
(I knew that.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I am in the field on a job, I will write in a restaurant. The room seems too lonely.

At home, I have a desk and computer in each of 2 rooms. My work room and my study (writing room) where I have most of my reference material. Still for a change I might use the kitchen table or even lay up in the bed if I am physically tired or under the weather.

I usually take 2 vacations a year. Usually the first is in the winter and occurs in warm sunny waters somewhere. I only write when my wife is asleep then, because that is her time.
The second vacation is usually my time, and she doesn't go because it is in the wild. It is amazing how after a hard day getting to where you want to be and then after another hard day of climbing, hunting or fishing, when you are finally by the fire at night, how ideas stream into your head. Usually not fine detailed finish writing, but outlining and brainstorming.

The important thing is to find a place where everything clicks!
I have found over the years that an assortment of places works best for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
Rinelle Grey
Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rinelle Grey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for ipad
I've commented on this before too. So many movies have huge plot holes, and yet people don't seem to complain about them. I wonder if this is, in part, due to the fact that I read book reviews, but I don't read movie reviews?

I try to make sure that there aren't any major plot holes in my novels, but sometimes, you just don't see them until someone points them out. Then of course, they're glaringly obvious.
Rinelle Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinelle Grey View Post
I've commented on this before too. So many movies have huge plot holes, and yet people don't seem to complain about them. I wonder if this is, in part, due to the fact that I read book reviews, but I don't read movie reviews?

I try to make sure that there aren't any major plot holes in my novels, but sometimes, you just don't see them until someone points them out. Then of course, they're glaringly obvious.
Welcome to MR and to Writers' Corner.

I do read some movie reviews (mostly on IMDB when I want to know why some crap movie gets a good rating, or a movie that I loved got a poor rating). IMDB even has a spot for goofs in movies, but most of these seem to be silly little things, continuity errors and the like. The holes you could drive a truck through seem to be a "given" and no one cares. (It's also possible that I may be being overly cynical, it's not as though I've done a scientific study of it.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Donald Bellisario used the phrase "Post-Creative Rationalization."
You do what you need to to move the story forward, and in episodic television, that means getting it done quickly, with far less time to revise the material than a typical published written work (unless you're Nora Roberts, who seems can produce a book a week.) and you make up a reason for it later if need be.
I'm sure if a future episode of Dr. Who required explaining the perceived time-line crossing, the Doctor would deliver an iron-clad, Time Lord-authoritative, timey-wimey answer.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 03-13-2013 at 02:42 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
A lot of the time when I see people pointing out "plot holes" in movies and television it's at least partly a failure of imagination and demand for pat answers on the viewer's part. For instance, a couple weeks ago on The Walking Dead someone fell unconscious from a point blank shot to the ribs while wearing body armor and a helmet, and there was a lot of "Butbutbut it didn't hit him in the head!" Well no, but it was still the force of a truck hitting him in an area the size of a fist, and it doesn't take a medical degree or more than eight seconds' thought to work out how that could lead to a temporary shutdown. Because it's not a set trope like the good ol' knockout blow to the head (a near impossibility in the real world without doing more serious damage), it might bring to mind the question, "Could that blow knock a person out?" but a high school graduate should be able to answer that question in the affirmative without blowing any fuses.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's an interesting example, taosaur, most movies get it wrong the other way. The bullet normally knocks the victim half-way across the room. It happens so often in the movies and TV shows that it looks wrong in the few that do it more realistically.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #23
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
That's an interesting example, taosaur, most movies get it wrong the other way. The bullet normally knocks the victim half-way across the room. It happens so often in the movies and TV shows that it looks wrong in the few that do it more realistically.
Actually, what happens depends on the type of bullet, whether armor is worn, just Kevlar or ceramic also, where the person is hit, bone or n ot, the person's size, and momentum, adrenalin, etc.

You might shoot a standing deer in the heart, and he drops straight down. Hit a running deer same place and he goes a quarter of a mile or more.

Of course Zombies are a whole other game. We could devote a whole thread just to shooting zombies.

Last edited by SeaKing; 03-14-2013 at 03:35 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #24
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Actually, what happens depends on the type of bullet, whether armor is worn, just Kevlar or ceramic also, where the person is hit, bone or n ot, the person's size, and momentum, adrenalin, etc.

You might shoot a standing deer in the heart, and he drops straight down. Hit a running deer same place and he goes a quarter of a mile or more.

Of course Zombies are a whole other game. We could devote a whole thread just to shooting zombies.
It's fairly simple physics. Momentum is mass x velocity. A bullet's maximum momentum is imparted when it leaves the gun, and conservation of energy requires that the gun (and therefore the shooter) feel the impact of the imparting that momentum (excluding recoilless systems for simplification). If the shooter didn't get thrown backwards then neither will the victim. All that body armour does is distribute the momentum over a wider area. Most movement on the part of the victim comes from shock, muscle reflex, and gravity - not the impact of the bullet. ... Oh, and zombies don't change the physics.

Last edited by gmw; 03-14-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #25
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
It's fairly simple physics. Momentum is mass x velocity. A bullet's maximum momentum is imparted when it leaves the gun, and conservation of energy requires that the gun (and therefore the shooter) feel the impact of the imparting that momentum (excluding recoilless systems for simplification). If the shooter didn't get thrown backwards then neither will the victim. All that body armour does is distribute the momentum over a wider area. Most movement on the part of the victim comes from shock, muscle reflex, and gravity - not the impact of the bullet. ... Oh, and zombies don't change the physics.
Actually, it's Newton's third law that covers that one. But besides that, yes you are correct.

As for Zombies ... they do change things because their bodies do not react to the impact in the same way. The same amount of force hits them, but their reaction would be different.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #26
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Actually, it's Newton's third law that covers that one. But besides that, yes you are correct.

As for Zombies ... they do change things because their bodies do not react to the impact in the same way. The same amount of force hits them, but their reaction would be different.
Given the context I should have said conservation of momentum, which can be derived from Newton's third law but is more general. But besides that, yes, you are correct .

How a self-powered body reacts to injury does not effect physics surrounding the impact of the bullet. (I can't believe I'm discussing the physics of shooting Zombies! )
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
How a self-powered body reacts to injury does not effect physics surrounding the impact of the bullet
Of course it does. If the dead flesh just ablates, it takes the energy with it. If more supple, living flesh stays connected to the whole structure, it can pull things very differently. Geesh, it's like you guys never shot a zombie before.....

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Of course it does. If the dead flesh just ablates, it takes the energy with it. If more supple, living flesh stays connected to the whole structure, it can pull things very differently. Geesh, it's like you guys never shot a zombie before.....

ApK
Silly me. I'll try to pay more attention next time it comes up.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #29
sargatanas
sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm sure deadlines and production costs play a large factor in inconsistencies, as well. Then it's up to the editor to try to make it work.
sargatanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #30
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I don't mind suspending disbelief for the initial plotline, but if I'm asked to suspend disbelief for side plots, I give up. I gave up on Revolution real fast. I'm barely hanging on to Falling Skies. That show and Terra Nova were hurt by poor casting on the male leads. I don't mind dubious science in science fiction, but I won't accept it in other genres. I hate impossibly noble men in romance and stupid women in all genres. For some reason, TV writers love stupid women, probably because the writers are men.
My wife just told me about the new science of electricity sucking computer viruses in the air in Revolution, and as a electrical type guy, I choked.
The EMPs, neutron bombs, slave collars, and Aliens in Falling skies are not so bad.

And who are you to dislike impossibly noble men in any genre.
Aren't we all either that or impossible tyrants?