Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
How does it compare to KU for authors and readers? It will have to be generous to draw market away from Amazon.
If you don't own a Kindle then KU is not useful. But if you own an ePub capable (with Adobe DRM) Reader, you can use Kobo Plus (as long as you live in a country where Kobo Plus is).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #47
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you don't own a Kindle then KU is not useful. But if you own an ePub capable (with Adobe DRM) Reader, you can use Kobo Plus (as long as you live in a country where Kobo Plus is).
You don't need a kobo for kobo plus?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #48
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
You don't need a kobo for kobo plus?
From what I've seen so far, you need either a Kobo device or a Kobo app for iOS/Android, a standard Adept device would not do.
(How could they track reading time?)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #49
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm trying out the first month free and have found that since Open Road Media is participating in the program I'll not have any problems finding plenty to read as I'm subscribed to a number of Open Road Media lists and frequently buy from them.

The program does not allow for the downloading of Kobo Free books in Adobe DRM format. This is a benefit to me as it means that I'll not get my subscription books confused with purchased books the way I did the one time that I tried Kindle unlimited but it does mean that a Kobo app or ereader is needed.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #50
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
The selection is pretty crappy. And then I’m left with over 300 books that I’m not reading because I’m reading some book I rented for ten dollars when I buy better books on sale for $1.99 No thanks.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I'm trying out the first month free and have found that since Open Road Media is participating in the program I'll not have any problems finding plenty to read as I'm subscribed to a number of Open Road Media lists and frequently buy from them.
Having Open Road Media books makes it several cuts above KU, IMO. Freading in the US carries ORM and I’ve got a long wishlist of books I’d like to read (and I do read them, but the wishlist grows faster than my inroads into it).

As an American with access to Freading, I have to hope that ORM doesn’t switch over to Kobo Plus when it rolls out here! Free is always better, of course, and the subscription model doesn’t really work for me anyway. I have no objection in theory to renting the odd book if it were the cheapest way to access a desired title as I don’t need to own what I read (obviously), but I’m very much a “reading what I want to read when I want to read it” type. I’d have to alter my mindset in order to get the value of a subscription.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
The selection is pretty crappy. And then I’m left with over 300 books that I’m not reading because I’m reading some book I rented for ten dollars when I buy better books on sale for $1.99 No thanks.
I would disagree. The Open Road Media books alone make it worth the cost. I've picked up about 6 so far on my free trial. Given the first month is free, I surprised that you have managed to spend $9.99 Cdn. considering how short a time ago the service started.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #53
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Does one need to be online to read these books? My Kobo reader is never allowed online, don't want to risk unwanted updates screwing it up. I'm tempted to do a free Kobo Reads trial, but not if I can't read offline.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #54
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Does one need to be online to read these books? My Kobo reader is never allowed online, don't want to risk unwanted updates screwing it up. I'm tempted to do a free Kobo Reads trial, but not if I can't read offline.
In Kobopatch, in the file libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml there are 2 possible patch to avoid firmware upgrading:
  1. Block WiFi firmware upgrade
  2. Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading

I don't know if You can use the android app or kobo desktop because here there is not Kobo Plus
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #55
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Thanks, I'll try that next time I patch. Also gonna check out Kobo Desktop if it still works on Windows 7 and see if it's any good. Been a couple years since I had it running on my system so I'm not sure if it's gotten any better. Hope so anyway.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
You can download the books to the Kobo app on your computer (PC or Mac) (they will show Kobo Plus instead of Kobo Epub as the file type) and then transfer them over USB. Though I'm pretty sure the earlier firmware versions will not support the DRM used on Kobo Plus books.

Personally, the DRM does not matter to me. I consider Kobo Plus the same as Kindle Unlimited or library books. I don't "own" them so I don't have any reason to remove DRM.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #57
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can download the books to the Kobo app on your computer (PC or Mac) (they will show Kobo Plus instead of Kobo Epub as the file type) and then transfer them over USB. Though I'm pretty sure the earlier firmware versions will not support the DRM used on Kobo Plus books.

Personally, the DRM does not matter to me. I consider Kobo Plus the same as Kindle Unlimited or library books. I don't "own" them so I don't have any reason to remove DRM.
Depends on how early the firmware is, let’s not forget Kobo Plus has been out in the Wild supported by all our Kobos for some time now. Likely all the way back in 2017 when the service was first introduced.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I take it that Kobo Plus eBooks are KePub yes?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I take it that Kobo Plus eBooks are KePub yes?
Yes. Plus a few extra characters to make my reply an acceptable length.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #60
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I would disagree. The Open Road Media books alone make it worth the cost. I've picked up about 6 so far on my free trial. Given the first month is free, I surprised that you have managed to spend $9.99 Cdn. considering how short a time ago the service started.
I did not spend any money on it yet of course. I could get the Open Road books off Freading at the library if I had any interest in them.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote