Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Karma system (closed)

I think many here are confused about "karma" and what it does. Hopefully this will clear some things up.

"Karma" is just a way of saying "I approve" or "attaboy" or "Thanks for the help" or "Thanks for uploading that book!" or any other positive message.

First of all, when you register, you are automatically awarded 10 Karma points.

You are allowed to "give" a certain amount of Karma.

The more you post, the more Karma points you are allowed to give. This is done automatically.

To give karma, click on the "karma" button at the bottom of that persons post. A window will pop up and say:

"Your comments on this Post" Here is where you can tell the person why you are giving them Karma. Not necessary, but helpful. We all want to know what we said to earn your approval!

Next, there is a box that says :

"Reduce (fine tune) you current reputation clout for this post"

There will be a number already in the box. You can choose to give the entire amount, or replace it with a lessor number. You cannot give more than what is shown.

Personally, I always give the maximum amount.....if a person is worthy of Karma, they are worthy of all I can give....but thats just me.

Now, click the 'add to reputation' button, and you are done.

To find out how much Karma you have, click your "User CP" button. See where it says "Latest Reputation Received"? To the right will show the current amount of Karma received by you.

Underneath will show the people who have given Karma, and the reasons, if they choose to say so.

If you've forgotten what the reason was,, click on the thread title.....it will take you to the post the person liked.

Clicking on that persons name will take you to their "visitor message" box......you can leave a "thank you" and anything else you'd like to say. Its always polite to thank people for giving you Karma, but not required.

I hope this has answered some questions, and if I've forgotten something, please let me know.

PS..........altho you may want to sometimes, you cannot give "minus Karma".
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Very nice - I think you covered everything!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Very nice - I think you covered everything!
Except karmawhoring
Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Except karmawhoring
Explain please
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Except karmawhoring
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Explain please
Astra, this one is up to you. I"m not sure how to explain it. Legitimate question, tho.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Astra, this one is up to you. I"m not sure how to explain it. Legitimate question, tho.
Oh well

Here you go:
astra
Quote:
In the past few months we got a bunch of flooders who post completely meaningless topics, who just swap karma here and there

IMHO. It is a shame that a good idea has been ruined.
As a side note, it would be interesting if posts posted in lounge would not be counted to a total number of posts of a poster and detracted from number of posts some flooders already have.
Quote:
It would be fun to do a few more things.

1. Stop adding posts made in the lounge to a total post count of a user.
2. Stop adding karma for posts in the lounge.
3. Subtract a number of posts made in the lounge from all current users
4. The last but not the least, subtract karma received in the lounge from all the current users.

I am very curious how many flooders would stay over there
desertgrandma
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra:
It also facilitates karma-whoring on the forum.

Karma whoring? What is that?
DaleDe
Quote:
Karma whore is when 3 (a few) people get together and just raise each others scores just to be silly and drive the value way up. It kind of defeats the idea of rewarding someone.
astra
Quote:
It is the internet forum term that is used on forums where giving karma or reputation feature is used. Karmawhore or repwhore. People who trade karma between "friends" in order to gain more of karma/reputation regardless of the original idea(not a law, just a common sense) why one should give away karma/rep. They also abuse the system by posting many meaningless posts (not necessary trolling just useless) in order to rise number of posts and have more power to give more rep/karma.
On many forums the result is usually either rep gaining/giving abilities are changed by implementing a new calculating formulas, thus leaving anyone who didn't participate in the active "trading" process forever behind, or/and removing the feature altogether because it has been misused. Another "preventative" measure that is being used is that a number of posts in flame/lounge areas of forums is not being counted (so useless posts are not added to a number of posts of a particular user). But if it happens after the system was abused it still leaves the abusers way ahead of anyone else.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Oh Dear.

Seems like you and I have a completely different perspective on both Karma, and posting on this site.

MobileRead is, to many, more than just an informational site, a place to get answers to technical questions.

Its a place to interact with friends made here, to escape for a while from the real world and to get support.

Thats why we have "The Lounge".

Now, why, in the name of all thats holy, would posts made and karma given there not count? Because they aren't "serious" enough?

PPFffttt!

So Astra, are you saying Karma should only be given to those whom you deem worthy?

Perhaps only to those who upload books, or provide other 'valuable' contributions to this site?

That would make this a very dull place to be.

We're MobileRead, dang it..not some dry, techno geek place.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm a karma-ho! Gimme! Gimme!

What many people don't realize is that you can collect karma and trade it for cash and valuable prizes. (Astra, this is a JOKE. You might want to look that word up in the new ebook dictionary to familiarize yourself with it.) (The other joke is that there is NO NEW ebook dictionary.)
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
What the heck!!!

I was told that whoever got to 1 million karma first got a free PRS-900.

All that work...all those posts. *sigh*

--------------------------------
Old 02-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Think I am going to post this vid here also just to have it on record.

freakin awesome lol
Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Original Karmawhore

Old 02-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
What the heck!!!

I heard 1 million posts. Is that wrong?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Wow, thanks for explaining what the heck karma is. I was really confused (though it didn't stop me from handing it wherever I could)!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
I like this definition most:

I see I have a "Karma" of 10. Others have huge numbers beside the word "Karma". How did I get it? - GlenBarrington

It's like kissing someone while wearing bright lipstick so that others can see how many times (and maybe where) the person has been kissed. And it doesn't come off no matter how hard they may scrub.
- VivaldiRules (currently to be found in pshrynk's signature)
Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
What the heck!!!

Well that won't be me although I think I might have got my first today - so maybe not a karma ho, but no longer a karma virgin - and also about to go give my first.........
Closed Thread