Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #42841
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I went to my friends' place this morning to look after dog Keira and cat Pien for two weeks. I spend the morning unpacking and cleaning. This afternoon I was able to take it easy, which was nice.

It's the first time looking after Pien. She isn't a lap cat, even less so than Maru and Luna, but she seems okay with me. Keira has calmed down with walk a bit more. Though she still has a thing for cars.

I already noticed that I need to keep a check on my doom scrolling. It'll just get me down, not something I want when I'm on my own. Though the feeling down might also be a side effect of the Prednison I'm taking. Just three more days.

It's almost time to walk Keira a third and last time today. After that I'm looking forward to a nice shower and maybe watching something spooky on my tablet in bed. The next two weeks I'm getting up extra early (less cars and other dog on early mornings). At least I have tomorrow off from work, so I can take a nap some time during the day.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #42842
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Cleaning up my files after a morning in court briefly paused to lockdown the courthouse for some protests going on outside...

Also battening down the hatches for Hurrican Isaias to arrive overnight! Charging all the lanterns and battery packs.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #42843
poohbear_nc
2020 Hindsight!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
here ... charging up all my Kindles too
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:26 AM   #42844
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Cleaning up my files after a morning in court briefly paused to lockdown the courthouse for some protests going on outside...

Also battening down the hatches for Hurrican Isaias to arrive overnight! Charging all the lanterns and battery packs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
here ... charging up all my Kindles too
Pooh and I lucked out save for some heavy downpours overnight. No power outages or downed trees! My wife and I spent the evening with some light-weight beer and playing board games listening to the rain.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #42845
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Just ordered my pin and tshirt from Concept2 for hitting a million meters on my bike erg. We got the bike in November and I am trying to bike 10-25k a day in addition to rowing 5-10k a day. The meters piled up fast!
Old 08-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #42846
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just ordered my pin and tshirt from Concept2 for hitting a million meters on my bike erg. We got the bike in November and I am trying to bike 10-25k a day in addition to rowing 5-10k a day. The meters piled up fast!
Well done!

I'm currently looking at getting an exercise bike. Normally I regularly cycle in summer, but it's just too busy (busiest cycle city in the world). Also there are many groups of "serious" cyclists who can be aggressive to the more leisurely cyclist. An added bonus is that I'm a good weather cyclist and don't do much cycling when it's wet/windy/cold. Inside it's always cycle weather, no more excuse.

If you have any tips of choosing a exercise bike it would be welcome.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #42847
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Well done!

I'm currently looking at getting an exercise bike. Normally I regularly cycle in summer, but it's just too busy (busiest cycle city in the world). Also there are many groups of "serious" cyclists who can be aggressive to the more leisurely cyclist. An added bonus is that I'm a good weather cyclist and don't do much cycling when it's wet/windy/cold. Inside it's always cycle weather, no more excuse.

If you have any tips of choosing a exercise bike it would be welcome.
We absolutely LOVE our BikeErg from Concept2. None of this fancy Peleton nonsense. My Concept2 Rower is as new as it was the day I bought it a decade ago. I oil it and that is all it has ever needed. The Concept2 has a seat that can be changed out if you don't like the standard saddle that comes with it. The onboard computer has a number of features and is USB and heart rate monitor compatible for tracking and logging purposes. No subscriptions or giant video screens.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #42848
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
We absolutely LOVE our BikeErg from Concept2. None of this fancy Peleton nonsense. My Concept2 Rower is as new as it was the day I bought it a decade ago. I oil it and that is all it has ever needed. The Concept2 has a seat that can be changed out if you don't like the standard saddle that comes with it. The onboard computer has a number of features and is USB and heart rate monitor compatible for tracking and logging purposes. No subscriptions or giant video screens.
I've chatted a bit with Stranger about her bike; I love my Waterrower. Until I developed an issue with my lower back, I was a fairly serious exerciser. I still have all my home-gym equipment (hope springs eternal--that or denial, take your pick). But regardless of how decrepit I get, I can always row on my Waterrower. What I love about it the most, oddly enough, isn't really related to the exercise, per se; it's the swooshing of the water. It's very relaxing. Sure, sometimes I run a video, or watch TV; but sometimes I just "zen out," listening to the swoosh of the water.

The downside is, you either need the space for it or be willing to pop it up vertically each day. If memory serves, Stranger's BikeErg is more compact.

You definitely want a softer seat, if you're bony, (like your humble correspondent here) on ANY bike. You want to be sure that you can work at a very slow rate, easier rate and a more challenging rate. I recommend going into a store, dressed (somewhat) for it and rowing away, see if you like it. Make sure that the layout of the bike FITS your personal anatomy--not all rowers will.

If you wish to compete with others, online, the BikeErg is "The One," complete with all sorts of online groups, competitions, groups and all that. If you're a more solitary creature and like the SWOOSH, then you may wish to consider the WaterRower.

Pro tip: there are a crapload of exercise bikes on the second-hand market. People with good intentions, who keep it for a year, use it twice, and then get rid of it. I'd always look there before buying new--but then again, I'm terminally CHEAP. :-) (As all y'alls know!)

Offered FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #42849
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I've chatted a bit with Stranger about her bike; I love my Waterrower. Until I developed an issue with my lower back, I was a fairly serious exerciser. I still have all my home-gym equipment (hope springs eternal--that or denial, take your pick). But regardless of how decrepit I get, I can always row on my Waterrower. What I love about it the most, oddly enough, isn't really related to the exercise, per se; it's the swooshing of the water. It's very relaxing. Sure, sometimes I run a video, or watch TV; but sometimes I just "zen out," listening to the swoosh of the water.

The downside is, you either need the space for it or be willing to pop it up vertically each day. If memory serves, Stranger's BikeErg is more compact.

You definitely want a softer seat, if you're bony, (like your humble correspondent here) on ANY bike. You want to be sure that you can work at a very slow rate, easier rate and a more challenging rate. I recommend going into a store, dressed (somewhat) for it and rowing away, see if you like it. Make sure that the layout of the bike FITS your personal anatomy--not all rowers will.

If you wish to compete with others, online, the BikeErg is "The One," complete with all sorts of online groups, competitions, groups and all that. If you're a more solitary creature and like the SWOOSH, then you may wish to consider the WaterRower.

Pro tip: there are a crapload of exercise bikes on the second-hand market. People with good intentions, who keep it for a year, use it twice, and then get rid of it. I'd always look there before buying new--but then again, I'm terminally CHEAP. :-) (As all y'alls know!)

Offered FWIW.

Hitch
For the record, we have two machines -

The Concept2 BikeErg, which is an exercise bike AND
The Concept2 Rower, which is a rowing machine.

I think Rumple was asking about bikes, so my comments were limited to that. I can wax POETIC about my rower, but I shan't for now.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #42850
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Yes, I'm looking for an exercise bike, though my father wants a rowing machine.

The Concept2 BikeErg looks great, but is about twice my budget.

So far my main requirements are that it's a stable and sturdy machine (weight loss is one of the reasons I want to get one), the saddle and handle bars need to be easily adjustable (my mother says she also wants to use it), the lightest setting needs to be fairly light (for my mother) and it needs to have a tablet holder for when I want to watch something. I need to do more research about the mechanism of exercise bikes and which are the best for my budget.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #42851
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
For the record, we have two machines -

The Concept2 BikeErg, which is an exercise bike AND
The Concept2 Rower, which is a rowing machine.

I think Rumple was asking about bikes, so my comments were limited to that. I can wax POETIC about my rower, but I shan't for now.
Oh! I'm sorry, what a maroon. For some reason, when I saw the ConceptErg, my brain just flipped over to rower. DUH. Mea culpa.

I've had a variety of bikes over the years; (exercise bikes, I mean); I have a Kettler Series Speed Pro/Spin, that I've had for...geeze, 8-10 years now (?) that I really like, but it's not quite as adjustable as Rumple's family seems to need.

Sowwy. I'm gonna go sit in the dunce corner now.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #42852
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

I know rowing is really good, but I still have flashbacks to summer days spend on the little rowing boat my father bought for me, wrestling with the oars, getting blisters and really having no where to row to.

I want to use the bike about an hour a day (cycle over 15km a day). I'm going to do it at my own leisurely pace, though I might get a bit more enthusiastic later on, who knows. Although my other says she wants to use it, I doubt she will.

Right now I'm enjoying the coolness of the morning. It's going to be a hot day today, 34-35C. So I've opened up the house to let the fresh air in and when it starts getting warmer outside than inside I'll close everything up until it cools down again tonight. This weather is going to last until at least Wednesday. Some time between Wednesday evening and Thursday evening the thunderstorms will come in (yay) and it starts cooling down. Depending on when they come Thursday might also be hot, though the current prediction is 27C and that sounds blissfully cool compared to today's temperatures.
Old Today, 10:33 AM   #42853
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I want to use the bike about an hour a day (cycle over 15km a day). I'm going to do it at my own leisurely pace, though I might get a bit more enthusiastic later on, who knows. Although my other says she wants to use it, I doubt she will.
I do 25k in right at an hour and five minutes. My wife can do 35k in an hour and thirty, which is still out of my reach.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?