Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
I may feel differently once I get to do some serious reading on an iPad, which has a lot more screen real estate, but now most of my ebook reading is done on an iPod Touch, and I don't want to waste any screen space. I love how Stanza will let me fill the whole screen with text. No page numbers, no title bar, and the only progress indicator is a very narrow, almost invisible bar at the bottom of the screen that shows how far into the book I've gone. I wouldn't want to give any more screen space to a persistent page number, but I do occasionally take advantage of the fact that a single screen tap will generate a pop up bubble with page and percentage information. To me, even with a print book, page information is not something you pay attention to on every page, but when you do look for it, you want it to be there, so physical books have to keep that information on just about every page just in case. But on an ebook, it makes perfect sense to me to hide that information until you want it. It seems to me to be a clear advantage of the electronic medium, and including page numbers on every page is to take a limitation of physical books and force it into electronic books where it doesn't need to be.

But, again, that's based on the sparsity of screen space on my iPod, and a more generous screen might change my mind.
I used to use Stanza exclusively and I know what you mean about more text. That was my major complaint when I first tried ibooks - too much white space and why can't I get rid of the clock.

But, now I am used to ibooks and quite like it. I agree, the ipad would be the ideal fit for ibooks.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote