Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 AM   #1
brenski
brenski began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Kobo Clara - Missing Aa Text Icon

I'm (almost) beaten by this: I can find no way on my Kobo Clara to adjust the fonts and text sizes.

User Guide Page 39/40 details how to do this:
Changing text and font options on your Kobo eReader
Your eReader offers several different sizes of text for most books. You can adjust the text size, fonts, line spacing, and justification to make reading easier on your eyes.

However, on "tapping middle of screen" the Reading Menu does NOT have an Aa Text Icon.

I've checked the firmware is up to date and - being new to this ereader - and navigated every conceivable setup menu I can find, I'm now stumped. I've also tried this with various epubs/pdfs etc and the

How do I enable/find this option - is there some setting somewhere that disables it? Or do I have a faulty Kobo?

thanks
brenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:10 AM   #2
brenski
brenski began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
I'd add that - all of the YT clips I've seen for the Clara have the Aa Text Icon - as well as a few other options.

My Clara has an icon that looks like a compass (four triangles surrounding a small circle). This icon allows for zooming in/out on pages, centre horiz/vert and rotate screen.

Is this a firmware issue? can I rollback to the firmware that had the Aa Text Icon option?
brenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenski View Post
However, on "tapping middle of screen" the Reading Menu does NOT have an Aa Text Icon.

I've checked the firmware is up to date and - being new to this ereader - and navigated every conceivable setup menu I can find, I'm now stumped. I've also tried this with various epubs/pdfs etc and the
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenski View Post
My Clara has an icon that looks like a compass (four triangles surrounding a small circle). This icon allows for zooming in/out on pages, centre horiz/vert and rotate screen.
Which means you are not reading an epub or kepub. The icons will only be displayed if you can use them. You cannot change the font for PDF or comic books. So, the font icon won't be changed. The zoom icon will be displayed. This allows you to zoom in and out on the page, and pan around it when zoomed in.

The font icon will be displayed for book formats that allow you to change the font. This includes epubs, kepubs, text and MOBI. For a kepub, the first page, and pages that only have an image, they will probably only show the zoom icon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Sounds like you're reading a PDF and you can't increase the font for those. It's a limitation of the format not the firmware.*

In case you're actually not reading a PDF, just struggling with the menus (happens to the best of us) see attached for a couple of screenshots that may help. The first is what you should see when you tap the centre of the screen.

The last one is what happens with a PDF. Note the "compass" zoom in icon instead of "Aa" font one.

(*actually it may theoretically be possible with some types of PDF but I've never heard of an ereader or app that supports it)

Update: davidfor beat me to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	193
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	173178   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	190
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	173179   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png