Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
KFX Soon?

Any word on when we'll get support for KFX format books in Calibre? I know the workaround - download to my computer and then suck into Calibre before sending to my Kindle, but it would be nice to be able to read the books from my Kindle directly. (Currently a Voyage or PW1. I have both.)

Thanks,
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It certainly won't happen unless/until the obfuscation is broken...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263902
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is no word on when KFX support may happen.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
KFX is not a format you want to add to your library. It is device specific, with images and probably text changed to best suit the device it is downloaded on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The change in this week's release to allow Calibre to see a KFX book on my Kindle actually covers the 80% case.
Advert
Old 01-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The change in this week's release to allow Calibre to see a KFX book on my Kindle actually covers the 80% case.

How is this achieved? I have a Kindle Voyage and latest version of Calibre V2.48 64 bit.
svenlind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
How is this achieved? I have a Kindle Voyage and latest version of Calibre V2.48 64 bit.
Have you *tried* looking at KFX books in Device View?

It should generate a popup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibre
The following books are in KFX format. KFX is a virtual book format, and cannot be transferred from the device. Instead, you must go to your "Manage my content and devices" page on amazon.com and download the book to your computer from there. That will give you a regular azw3 file that you can add to calibre normally. Click "Show details" to see the list of books.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The good news is that you can see that the book is on the device from within Calibre. Saves copying it again, creating a second version on the device. And since the formatting is device specific, I can see the choice not to allow conversion and entry into Calibre. Not sure I'm 100% happy with it, but I can live with the current workaround.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #9
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Have you *tried* looking at KFX books in Device View?

It should generate a popup:
I am aware how I download a book from Amazon and thus get an AZW/Mobi file that can be put into Calibre, and then the Apprentice can do his magic.

I always do this, when I have bought a book from Amazon (or anywhere else)

However I also often fetch the book directly to my Kindle from Amazon, and if it is delivered in KFX then Calibre will not (mostly) show that the book is on my Kindle.

Some KFX books in my Kindle are registered in Calibre, some are not.

So the problem is: The book exists in Calibre as mobi or AZW3, it also exists on my Kindle as KFX.

It would be nice if Calibre would show the book on the Kindle even if it is in KFX format. I have some times uploaded a book to Kindle from Calibre and then discovered that the book was aready on the Kindle.

It is however a very small problem for me.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, it is supposed to show it, as a "virtual book".

If it is not listed at all, open a bug report.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
However I also often fetch the book directly to my Kindle from Amazon, and if it is delivered in KFX then Calibre will not (mostly) show that the book is on my Kindle.

Some KFX books in my Kindle are registered in Calibre, some are not.

So the problem is: The book exists in Calibre as mobi or AZW3, it also exists on my Kindle as KFX.

It would be nice if Calibre would show the book on the Kindle even if it is in KFX format. I have some times uploaded a book to Kindle from Calibre and then discovered that the book was aready on the Kindle.
Is the book shown on the Kindle in the device list? If it isn't then calibre didn't find the book where it expects to. Or couldn't read it properly to get the metadata from it. Or from whatever other source is used the book metadata on Kindles. Or something, I'm not an expert on Kindles, so I don't really know why this didn't happen.

If it is in the device list, but doesn't show as also in the calibre library, it means that calibre couldn't match the book to a book in the library. And that probably the metadata in the book on the device doesn't match a book in calibre. In this case, you can force the match. Find the book in the device list, right click on it and select the match option. Then search for the book in the library, select it and press OK to save. Do that for all the mismatches. Then, right-click on the device button and select the "Update metadata" option (it's should be the last option in the menu). This updates a file on the device so that the books will be matched in the future.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #12
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

If it is in the device list, but doesn't show as also in the calibre library, it means that calibre couldn't match the book to a book in the library. And that probably the metadata in the book on the device doesn't match a book in calibre. In this case, you can force the match. Find the book in the device list, right click on it and select the match option. Then search for the book in the library, select it and press OK to save. Do that for all the mismatches. Then, right-click on the device button and select the "Update metadata" option (it's should be the last option in the menu). This updates a file on the device so that the books will be matched in the future.
That was that! Thank you very much.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #13
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, it is supposed to show it, as a "virtual book".
Thank you for your reply.

I suppose that a "virtual book" is a book that is only shown in the "Device List" ?

Never mind, I discovered the Device List and made good use of it.

The possibilities and features in Calibre never stop to amaze me!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

I suppose that a "virtual book" is a book that is only shown in the "Device List" ?
Effectively. But, it probably means a different thing for each device. You can probably think of it is: "a book the device know about, but calibre can't copy".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #15
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
sorry for the dumb question, been struggling with this for awhile and having to use the workaround of downloading, adding to Calibre to track the reading and then sending to the device from Calibre and when I go to read it having to remove the book then download the offical version so that I can use some of the features.

I would love it to show as a virtual book in the device list but it never does when I send it directly to the Kindle Fire HDX from Amazon.

Is there a setting I am missing or a folder I need to point calibre to so that it shows up as a viryal book, I can easily then fix the meatdata as I do that already for older non kfx books.

Appreciate the help
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, kindle