Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
nVidia EOL'ed 32bit drivers a... good long while ago, so, that probably won't help your case much if you're actually on a 32bit install.
@deback

Version 430.86 - WHQL
Release Date Mon May 27, 2019
Operating System Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Language English (US)
File Size 497.23 MB

That driver should run on Windows 10 64-bit. It's a much newer driver. So the thing to do dump 32-bit Windows for 64-bit Windows. There's actually no reason to run 32-bit Windows 10. You system is from 2017 and will support 64-bit. Why did you make such a mistake as to run 32-bit?

But, I just read that the GT 730 is EOLed and if that driver won't work on your card, you will need to buy a new graphics card or you'll be stuck on Calibre 3.48 for the res of your computer's life. There is only one version of the GT 730 still supported and if yours is not it, time to go 64-bit Windows and a new graphics card.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-22-2019 at 04:13 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #32
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@deback, pleas elet us know if that driver helps Calibre 4.2 to work.

One question. Why are you on a 32-bit Windows?
I installed it, it said it was successful, and I'll be installing Calibre 4.2 shortly. However, the system info and device manager are still showing the same version number that I had: Driver Version 23.21.13.9135. I'll let you know in a little while about 4.2, but I don't expect any difference, since it appears I was using the latest Nvidia driver version.

I'm still using 32-bit, because over two years ago (before I built this current computer), when I installed a new version of Windows, I chose the 64-bit version. After the installation, my computer had lots of problems. I'm not sure why and don't remember any of the details, but I knew the problem(s) had to do with the 64-bit version and maybe some incompatibility problems, so I reinstalled Windows using the 32-bit version, and those problems disappeared. I've had no problems since then, so I decided to continue using the 32-bit version, even when I built this computer, since I used Samsung's migration software to copy everything from the old hard drive to the new Samsung 500GB drive.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #33
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using the 32-bit version due to a choice and due to the problems I had with the 64-bit version, so it was not a mistake on my part.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
I installed it, it said it was successful, and I'll be installing Calibre 4.2 shortly. However, the system info and device manager are still showing the same version number that I had: Driver Version 23.21.13.9135. I'll let you know in a little while about 4.2, but I don't expect any difference, since it appears I was using the latest Nvidia driver version.

I'm still using 32-bit, because over two years ago (before I built this current computer), when I installed a new version of Windows, I chose the 64-bit version. After the installation, my computer had lots of problems. I'm not sure why and don't remember any of the details, but I knew the problem(s) had to do with the 64-bit version and maybe some incompatibility problems, so I reinstalled Windows using the 32-bit version, and those problems disappeared. I've had no problems since then, so I decided to continue using the 32-bit version, even when I built this computer, since I used Samsung's migration software to copy everything from the old hard drive to the new Samsung 500GB drive.
Well, it's time to try 64-bit Windows. If you have 4GB or more of ram, you are wasting some of it as Windows 32-bit only works with 3GB of ram. Plus as you can see Nvidia prefers 64-bit. Maybe back when you first installed 64-bit Windows, driver support wasn't good. But it is now.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #35
deback
Book E d i t o r

I don't think I'm ready to have to do a clean installation of the 64-bit version. If it's possible to upgrade and keep all of my current data, I'd do it, with no hesitation.

I have 16GB of RAM.

You're right that driver support might not have been available when I installed the 64-bit Windows. I'm not sure what the problem was.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 10-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't think I'm ready to have to do a clean installation of the 64-bit version. If it's possible to upgrade and keep all of my current data, I'd do it, with no hesitation.

I have 16GB of RAM.

You're right that driver support might not have been available when I installed the 64-bit Windows. I'm not sure what the problem was.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Do you realize that 13GB of your RM is sitting there going to waste.

You can keep your data. You would be best to backup the hard drive first. But if you cannot do that, backup your user profile and install 64-bit windows. But you may want to uninstall any programs you no longer use or will be installing the 64-bit version. You will have to reinstall your programs.

I know it's a hassle but if you don't do it for fear of losing data, you'll never do it and you'll always be on 32-bit. Heck, I did it. It wasn't as hard as it sounds.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #37
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Why are you on a 32-bit Windows?
Quote:
So the thing to do dump 32-bit Windows for 64-bit Windows. There's actually no reason to run 32-bit Windows 10. You system is from 2017 and will support 64-bit. Why did you make such a mistake as to run 32-bit?
This may come as a shock to you, but some of us actually use lightweight computers that neither need nor support 64-bit Windows.

I do most of my computing on an iPad mini; I’m responding with it right now. It’s handy, compact, and easily capable of handling most of what I do in an average day. For most of my other tasks, I use a $100 Win10/32 netbook with a small solid-state drive and an Atom processor. It may be slow, but I don’t need a lot of speed when I’m writing, editing, or fixing ebooks. Once in a while, for a couple of specific tasks, I drag out my full-blown desktop replacement laptop… but after setting my netbook up with calibre and moving my library to an external drive, I only need the big dog for things like high-resolution image processing or massive data-crunching.

I think I’ve said this to you before, but if so, it obviously bears repeating: Your use case is not universal. Other people exist and have needs and priorities which differ from yours, and that’s okay. We’re allowed to exist, and we’re permitted to have different opinions.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #38
deback
Book E d i t o r

I consider the computer I'm currently using to be the best computer I've ever had (I've built and/or upgraded most of them), even though it's using 32-bit Windows. I've had many computers since 1989, and this is, by far, the best and the fastest. I'm usually only doing one thing at a time, but I'll have Chrome open, with tabs open for the stock market, Gmail, Facebook, and maybe another site or two, ITunes, and a couple other programs I use--and I'll switch back and forth between Chrome and Calibre, or between whatever else I'm doing. I might also have a few File Explorer windows open, a PDF open in Chrome, and Calibre, when I'm editing a book (which is the only reason I use Calibre).

I don't play games on any of my computers. I have two 64-bit laptops that I use for specific purposes (usually when watching TV) and my old office computer that I gave to my cockatiel, who sits on the keyboard most of the time, watching his YouTube videos of other cockatiels. I recently gave away a computer case with everything in it, except the hard drives, since I retired over two years ago and no longer needed that computer.

I know I'll have to reinstall all of the programs I use when I upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, but everything works fine now, so I really don't want to spend several days doing a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit and then have to reinstall all the programs I use, including all my tax programs from when I was a tax preparer (in case any clients call me in the near future). I think I'll plan on doing all of this when I upgrade the processor and motherboard in the future. I usually do those upgrades every three or four years...

Thanks, Rev. Bob! And thank you, JSWolf, for being a bit less negative.

Last edited by deback; 10-22-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
<rant>
Welcome to the world where the OS (updates) obsoletes working hardware.
I just discovered that the latest W10 update no longer supports the scanner part of my 2002 era workgroup class MFC. First W7 dropped the network use of the scanner (still network printed) and FAX, but I could string a 16' USB cable across the aisle and scan. Nope, not even that (checked the MFG: Use MS W10 driver ). I broke out my old XP machine and a pen drive. Success
W10 dropped Media Center, so my HD tuner no longer worked (the suggested workaround did not work).
Anyone for a SCSI (HP4C) scanner? I binned all the Zip disks and drives, snails were faster and held more than100MB a trip .
How about letting stuff die out before burying it. Some of us just bought quality stuff because we either worked it hard or wanted dependable, trouble free usage. </rant>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
<rant>
Welcome to the world where the OS (updates) obsoletes working hardware.
I just discovered that the latest W10 update no longer supports the scanner part of my 2002 era workgroup class MFC. First W7 dropped the network use of the scanner (still network printed) and FAX, but I could string a 16' USB cable across the aisle and scan. Nope, not even that (checked the MFG: Use MS W10 driver ). I broke out my old XP machine and a pen drive. Success
W10 dropped Media Center, so my HD tuner no longer worked (the suggested workaround did not work).
Anyone for a SCSI (HP4C) scanner? I binned all the Zip disks and drives, snails were faster and held more than100MB a trip .
How about letting stuff die out before burying it. Some of us just bought quality stuff because we either worked it hard or wanted dependable, trouble free usage. </rant>
I had an HP laser printer that was made obsolete by HP because they would not come out with a 64-bit printer driver for Windows.

I agree that it's really annoying when good hardware is done because of the lack of a software driver for it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #41
deback
Book E d i t o r

I've had these kind of problems over the years, same as you. For most of them, I found ways to keep using programs and/or equipment, except for an old scanner that I didn't need anymore, anyway, and probably some other things.

So, it appears that the author of Calibre used 64-bit code in the 32-bit software. Is this correct? Because I know I downloaded the Windows version and not the Windows 64-bit version from the Calibre Downloads page. Anyway, I'm fine with using 3.48. It's the most stable version I've used since I started editing books in Calibre. But I'm wondering why my 32-bit system has one tiny problem with the 32-bit Calibre software???

I have been considering buying a new dual video card, though (I have my 50" TV hooked up to this video card, too, for those occasions when I want to watch something from the browser), because ever since I built this computer, once in a while, the monitor will freeze and will have squiggly yellow lines all over the screen. It happens randomly and only once in a while--and happens with various programs and not at any certain time or with any specific program...about once per month or so or less. Sometimes, the computer will restart itself, and sometimes, it will recover, and the screen will go back to normal. I'm not sure what causes this problem, but I thought I would start with replacing the video card. I just haven't done so yet.

So, if I upgrade this video card, do you think the 4.2 problem I'm having with the File Preview window will be fixed?

Last edited by deback; 10-22-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #42
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I had an HP laser printer that was made obsolete by HP because they would not come out with a 64-bit printer driver for Windows.
Me too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So, it appears that the author of Calibre used 64-bit code in the 32-bit software. Is this correct?
Incorrect.

Quote:
Because I know I downloaded the Windows version and not the Windows 64-bit version from the Calibre Downloads page. Anyway, I'm fine with using 3.48. It's the most stable version I've used since I started editing books in Calibre. But I'm wondering why my 32-bit system has one tiny problem with the 32-bit Calibre software???
As mentioned before, the internals of calibre have been updated. QT WebKit has been replaced by QT WebEngine for example. And that's the part of calibre that drives your display. 3.48 was the last version before the changeover so you are still using QT WebKit with a generous number of workarounds for it's bugs.

Quote:
So, if I upgrade this video card, do you think the 4.2 problem I'm having with the File Preview window will be fixed?
The problem may be fixed with a new video card/driver combo. OTOH, if you are happy with 3.48, you might want to wait until you upgrade your system before switching over.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #44
deback
Book E d i t o r

Ok, thanks, David.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've had these kind of problems over the years, same as you. For most of them, I found ways to keep using programs and/or equipment, except for an old scanner that I didn't need anymore, anyway, and probably some other things.

So, it appears that the author of Calibre used 64-bit code in the 32-bit software. Is this correct? Because I know I downloaded the Windows version and not the Windows 64-bit version from the Calibre Downloads page. Anyway, I'm fine with using 3.48. It's the most stable version I've used since I start editing books in Calibre. But I'm wondering why my 32-bit system has one tiny problem with the 32-bit Calibre software???

I have been considering buying a new dual video card, though (I have my 50" TV hooked up to this video card, too, for those occasions when I want to watch something from the browser), because ever since I built this computer, once in a while, the monitor will freeze and will have squiggly yellow lines all over the screen. It happens randomly and only once in a while--and happens with various programs and not at any certain time or with any specific program...about once per month or so or less. Sometimes, the computer will restart itself, and sometimes, it will recover, and the screen will go back to normal. I'm not sure what causes this problem, but I thought I would start with replacing the video card. I just haven't done so yet.

There is no 64-bit code in the 32-bit Calibre.

It was said by Kovid that the reason for seeing the unformatted eBook and then seeing it formatted is due to an old video driver.

I suggest buying the video card at a shop where you can return it if it doesn't work. But before you buy a video card, make sure the video car driver is fairly recent.

The laptop I'm using has dual graphics Intel HD Graphics 5600 and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M. I've run Calibre with both and it works no problem.