Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #61
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Ok...clear enough. I have a couple hundred audio books....but haven’t felt the need for playlists. I see how organization options would help.
I've got a bit over 700 and have a to be listened to list. Back when I used purely iTunes and playlist, when I bought a book (usually I buy several books at a time), it was added to iTunes and added to the to be read playlist. Ever so often, I would shuffle the location of the books in the playlist, arranging the audiobooks so I don't get burned out on too much of the same sort of book.

It really made it easy to keep track of what i had listened to and what I hadn't. My current system doesn't work nearly as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #62
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've got a bit over 700 and have a to be listened to list. Back when I used purely iTunes and playlist, when I bought a book (usually I buy several books at a time), it was added to iTunes and added to the to be read playlist. Ever so often, I would shuffle the location of the books in the playlist, arranging the audiobooks so I don't get burned out on too much of the same sort of book.

It really made it easy to keep track of what i had listened to and what I hadn't. My current system doesn't work nearly as well.
I have a note in OneNote with my "to be read" list
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #63
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Agree that Audible is not very helpful with even minimal organization. The ‘Finished’ toggle does not Sync with Read status Kindle app (e.g. if you have finished a book in ‘immersion’ mode). I wish they would just upgrade Kindle app to play audiobooks, and let you use the collections (as you can on Fire for example), goodreads sharing, etc. It does not integrate with KU and Prime Reading either: you should be able to borrow and return audiobooks in the Audible app directly. But now you can finally use credits in app if you subscribe.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #64
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
While we are complaining...it’s annoying that the collections in kindle app don’t sync with desktop app
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
While we are complaining...it’s annoying that the collections in kindle app don’t sync with desktop app
For macOS at least, they could do worse than to port the iOS app with Catalyst. The mobile apps are so much better.
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #66
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I don’t think I’ve even used the MacOS or Windows Kindle apps in years. Now that I no longer do any deDRM, I just don’t need them. They were never very good for some reason. Amazon never gave them as many features as the iOS version. For some reason Amazon seems to favor the iOS version over all the other Kindle apps as it usually has more features and/or gets those features before the other apps. I’m glad they do that as most of my eBook reading is on my iPhone and iPad using the Kindle apps. I don’t use my Kindle much.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #67
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
For some reason Amazon seems to favor the iOS version over all the other Kindle apps as it usually has more features and/or gets those features before the other apps. I’m glad they do that as most of my eBook reading is on my iPhone and iPad using the Kindle apps. I don’t use my Kindle much.
Last I checked, the Android version received new features earlier than iOS did.

That said, I doubt many people read on the Kindle for PC/Mac. It appears that apart from the bare minimum (support for new formats/DRM, bug fixes), Amazon's not really doing any development on these and choosing to put resources elsewhere.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Last I checked, the Android version received new features earlier than iOS did.

That said, I doubt many people read on the Kindle for PC/Mac. It appears that apart from the bare minimum (support for new formats/DRM, bug fixes), Amazon's not really doing any development on these and choosing to put resources elsewhere.
It's not just Kindle for PC/Mac. I think it's most people who read eBooks don't read on a desktop/laptop. They read on a Reader/phone/tablet. Way back when, before the PRS-500 came out, I was reading some on a laptop. But since getting my first Reader, I gave up reading eBook on the laptop have have never read a single eBook on a desktop/laptop since. Now I read using my Reader/iPhone/iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #69
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About the only time I would want to read on a computer via the Kindle app is if I was conducting research and wanted to copy and paste a lot of references. Plus it is exponentially easier for me to create documents on a computer than on a tablet/smartphone since you have mouse control and real keyboard and good documentation software to work with. Otherwise, no, I hate reading on a desktop version of Book, Kindle, etc.

Perhaps things have changed recently, but historically we used to see features in the iOS Kindle app long before they made it to the Android Kindle app.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #70
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
About the only time I would want to read on a computer via the Kindle app is if I was conducting research and wanted to copy and paste a lot of references. Plus it is exponentially easier for me to create documents on a computer than on a tablet/smartphone since you have mouse control and real keyboard and good documentation software to work with. Otherwise, no, I hate reading on a desktop version of Book, Kindle, etc.

Perhaps things have changed recently, but historically we used to see features in the iOS Kindle app long before they made it to the Android Kindle app.
I would imagine that nowadays it’s easier for them to bring it to android first, since their Kindle operating system is just a fork of android.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #71
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Here's one example of Android (Kindle 6.11) getting a feature before iOS (Kindle 6.11.2).

Of course, I think the e-ink readers got the new sort/filter features almost a year later.

As Dylrob mentioned, the Fire tablets use an Android fork so the code's probably shared between the Fire tablets and the Android app.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #72
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They are more or less in sync now, feature wise.

Android update on Aug 29 adds filter for ‘books borrowed from public library’. The iOS app doesn’t have that yet. And it has several features iOS app does not have (pinch/spread gesture to adjust text size, Word Wise, Word Runner, Book Updates, and of course in-app purchase).

The iOS app has the more or less useless Goodreads Community view. More importantly it supports iPad features like Slide Over, Split Screen. With iOS 13, there is opportunity to support custom fonts, multiple documents (iPad), and ability to import from internal storage directly. We’ll see how that goes.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #73
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Glad Apple is now keeping the Android version up to date. A few years ago that was a different story. Unfortunately most of the new features these days are nothing I care about as they are more about selling stuff than the mechanics of reading.

On another front, my MBP with Maverick just updated to Safari 13.0. I'm still on the fence about updating to Catalina, so I will likely wait at least a month after it is released before updating, if I update to it.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Glad Apple is now keeping the Android version up to date. A few years ago that was a different story. Unfortunately most of the new features these days are nothing I care about as they are more about selling stuff than the mechanics of reading.

On another front, my MBP with Maverick just updated to Safari 13.0. I'm still on the fence about updating to Catalina, so I will likely wait at least a month after it is released before updating, if I update to it.
Did I miss something? I thought we were talking about the Kindle app, which is written and maintained by Amazon. Does Apple even have any apps that runs on Android?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #75
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Did I miss something? I thought we were talking about the Kindle app, which is written and maintained by Amazon. Does Apple even have any apps that runs on Android?
You are not the thread police, so please stop acting like it. We got a bit off topic, big whoop!