Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #556
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I have 4.5.1 Moon+ Reader Pro and I have no idea where you are referring. Exactly where do you see "chapter end prompt?" I can't find this anywhere on my Nexus 7 v6.0.1 or my t80s.
This is what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-07-13-19-54-33.png
Views:	393
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	165028  
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #557
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
This is what I mean.
It must be a Android 7 and above item. I don't see it on either My Nexus 7 (v6.0.1) or on my t80s (v4.2.2). Looks like you should drop the creator of Moon+ Reader Pro a message. The website lists the following email for contact: seanyword @ gmail.com
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #558
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
It must be a Android 7 and above item. I don't see it on either My Nexus 7 (v6.0.1) or on my t80s (v4.2.2). Looks like you should drop the creator of Moon+ Reader Pro a message. The website lists the following email for contact: seanyword @ gmail.com
Thanks I might just do that. Although it's not the end of the world, in fact having justified alignment on with hyphenation making blurring (smear effect of words) on some lines is a more troubling thing but I think this has to do with the way the screen resolution and perhaps DPI is laid out. I mostly just use page turning as well anyways as the scrolling is not very fast and will really trick the eye where the line went lol. Well tired to get the images I took of the lines off the device but now MTP is not triggering on the PC the device just charges argh wonder why this is.

EDIT:Had a bad cable here is the pics explaining what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	650.4 KB
ID:	165029   Click image for larger version

Name:	hgscreenshot.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	635.9 KB
ID:	165030  

Last edited by rvcjew; 07-14-2018 at 12:50 AM.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:17 AM   #559
Simpetus
Enthusiast
Simpetus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have two questions about PDF support in moon+reader.

1. Lock movement issue. I read PDFs on my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. The display is pretty small, so I use album mode. The problem is that after I zoomed in (to crop left and right sides of a file) and pushed Lock movement button (double arrows), I am unable to scroll down a page. If I tap another page opens.

2. Is there a Crop Page option in the app or will it be ever implemented?

Thank you very much.
Simpetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #560
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I'm another user who would love to see current page/total page numbers. I don't give a whit whether or not they're relative, because once I start reading, I seldom make appearance changes.

Not sure why the author is so resistant. ...
probably because to calculate the total pages in a book, at your current settings ( using Moon's definition of pages i.e. screens, requires the app to background render the entire book and count them. and recount them whenever you change a display setting. That could take up to a minute each time, while you twiddle your thumbs and wonder if the app has crashed
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #561
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i have seen that chapter end warning option before in previous versions of moon+ and in android 6, but I don't use it. i suspect it is one of those preferences that only appears when you have a book open & applies only to that book, or only when you DON'T have a book open, but not both.
I could go look but as my current reading tablet is android 7 , I will leave it for soneone still on A6 to search for

Update, I cannot find it at all now, android 7 Moon 4.5.2. I suspect it only appears with certain permutations of other settings and I lack the patience to puzzle it out. Logically you only need a chapter end warning if you are in some auto scroll mode? If you read a screen at a time then the number of pages\screens remaining is shown in the footer, so a warning is redundant ?

Last edited by stumped; 09-19-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #562
Negativo
Chosen One Member
Negativo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Galaxy Note 10.1 V.2014, Moto G6 Plus
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpetus View Post
I have two questions about PDF support in moon+reader.

1. Lock movement issue. I read PDFs on my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. The display is pretty small, so I use album mode. The problem is that after I zoomed in (to crop left and right sides of a file) and pushed Lock movement button (double arrows), I am unable to scroll down a page. If I tap another page opens.

2. Is there a Crop Page option in the app or will it be ever implemented?

Thank you very much.
I don´t use this app for PDFs, they look like pictures. I use WPS. It converts it in "mobile" format, perfect for reading on small displays.
Negativo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #563
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativo View Post
I don´t use this app for PDFs, they look like pictures. I use WPS. It converts it in "mobile" format, perfect for reading on small displays.
agree. there are lots of pdf reader apps, including many free ones, that do a better job.

I currently use the free google pdf reader on my android tablets. Decided I prefer that to the free Adobe reader.

Much depends on what stuff you want to read in pdf. e.g. I would never read a pdf novel, I'd go out of my way to find an alternative epub or kindle version.
If its the user manual for the dishwasher or the microwave then i am not fussed what I view it with - it's never going to be on my favourite bed-time reads...and it does not need to be categorised onto a " shelf" or even placed in my calibre library - I will rummage in dropbox for it when needed or google up a fresh copy
Old 09-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #564
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Page Numbers and jumping to a particular page.

I'm trying moon+ reader pro again since Bookari has started not accepting some books the moon does accept. I'm having the same problem as 3 years ago that made me stop using moon. Can the current page number and the total page numbers be shown on the mini bar at the bottom now? Can you jump to a particular page now?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #565
stumped
Wizard

You can only see a page count for the current chapter.
That is not going to change, unless the author changes his definition of page, and uses something predetermined like Adobe and bookari do.
Unlikely.
I don't know of any way to jump to a numbered page, but page flips are so fast it is not an issue for me.
Just bookmark any page you plan to ever return to.
If I want an estimate of total book length, I use calibre page count plug in. Then I use moons % read to tell me my read progress. The expanded view of recent files shows % read for each entry.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #566
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for answering. I would think that in 4 years they would have updated it. Unusable for me over these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
You can only see a page count for the current chapter.
That is not going to change, unless the author changes his definition of page, and uses something predetermined like Adobe and bookari do.
Unlikely.
I don't know of any way to jump to a numbered page, but page flips are so fast it is not an issue for me.
Just bookmark any page you plan to ever return to.
If I want an estimate of total book length, I use calibre page count plug in. Then I use moons % read to tell me my read progress. The expanded view of recent files shows % read for each entry.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #567
stumped
Wizard

it would not be an " update" it would be a backward step, IMHO, to adopt a different , static page definition

surely the moon+ author is entitled to make a deliberate design choice: that in his app a " page" =" a single full screen of the device in use with the current font, margin etc settings."
why shoudl he have to "update" to what i think is in inferior definition of " page" , based on an arbitrary character count ; that definition, as used in adobe based renderers leads to the silly situation where a "page" goes on for 3 3/4 screens, then changes part way through screen 4. how is that better? I like seeing how many more screens will take me to a chapter end.

"page" is a paper book concept, "screens" is a better thing to count , and that is what moon+ counts, one chapter at a time
ok so a side effect of Moon's choice is that you cannot see the number of (adobe definition ) "pages" in a book in the screen footer. That's the trade off, and those who simply must see that at on every screen are welcome to use a different reader app.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #568
peaceridge
Guru

I could manage the pages on screen thing (it does show up elsewhere, so why not on the reading screen), but not being able to go to a particular page is still a problem - yes I could use bookmarks, but that seems like an awkward workaround for something like a slider. Moon + is so rich in other features that it just seems odd not to have something like that. That's why there are so many ereading applications, so we can each find one we like. Bookari is great for me, except for the 10% or so of ebooks that Bookari can't read, that the other ereaders can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it would not be an " update" it would be a backward step, IMHO, to adopt a different , static page definition

surely the moon+ author is entitled to make a deliberate design choice: that in his app a " page" =" a single full screen of the device in use with the current font, margin etc settings."
why shoudl he have to "update" to what i think is in inferior definition of " page" , based on an arbitrary character count ; that definition, as used in adobe based renderers leads to the silly situation where a "page" goes on for 3 3/4 screens, then changes part way through screen 4. how is that better? I like seeing how many more screens will take me to a chapter end.

"page" is a paper book concept, "screens" is a better thing to count , and that is what moon+ counts, one chapter at a time
ok so a side effect of Moon's choice is that you cannot see the number of (adobe definition ) "pages" in a book in the screen footer. That's the trade off, and those who simply must see that at on every screen are welcome to use a different reader app.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #569
stumped
Wizard

its all about choices as you say.
i will just play devils advocate re sliders , one time
i've lost count of how many times I have messed up a read by accidentally touching a slider ( in say the Kindle Libby apps) and ending up 100 pages away from where I was, with no way back. I have yet to see an undo feature for having touched a slider

its not only books though , I will confess to accidentally doing it in the old netflix android interface also

i cant recall ever " needing" to be able to go directly to a numbered page or screen, though ( but then I mostly read fiction, not reference books with indexes... )
Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #570
stumped
Wizard

ps that 10% failure rate for bookari seems high. my issue with Bookari was that app updates kept introducing bugs, but I don't recall books NOT working. It was essential to keep old copies via app backup/restore utilities, in case google store pushed out a disasterous overnight update
the app would often crash on the initial licences check/ T&C screen if you rolled back a version, unless you deleted all previous traces of the buggy newer version.
& the page count by chapter adding up to t total pages per book would go haywire if there was not a 1:1 match between chapters and html files. having mutilple chapters in a single file or having a chapter split over muitiple html did upset it, so I would manually fix that with calibre or sigil before reading
Bookari used to have a reasonable support function where you could send them the problem book and ask why?
i would check the affected books in Sigil , using its tools to see if it thinks the epubs are error free, if it says yes, then send copies to bookari as bug reports