Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Question 1.8.3 firmware update for N96, Max1 etc. stuck on 1.8.2 for over a year - any news?

Hello,

In a few days' time it will have been a year since the last firmware update was made available for Onyx readers. Ereader store shows 03 May 2017 date for version 1.8.2. Up to that version there were reasonably frequent releases and then they suddenly stopped.

I have heard from that store about the new update a few times but recently they just went quiet - no response to my queries:
  • 03/2017: "THe smoothness of scribbled lines will be improved in the update 1.8.3."
  • 08/2017: "Yes, the next update is coming soon."
  • 11/2017: "The 1.8.3 is still in work. We expect to finish it within of the next couple of weeks."
  • 12/2017: "1.8.3 (...) is ready to 87%."
  • 03/2018: no reply
  • 04/2018: no reply
  • 06/2018: "The update to 1.8.3 for N96 series will be released in 2 weeks. Update to 1.9.0 is in discussion." *

Does anyone know any news about the future updates?

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 08-24-2018 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Updated the title
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
That's a very good question.
Good and constant firmware updates were one of the points I liked more of my n96ml during its first year. I understand that they need to sell more and that they concentrate on new products but at the same time they should continue supporting "old" devices with improvements. Especially when a product is still sold.
This is always the same story for almost all small companies.. They seduce you and then they abandon you.

Hope somebody has some good news to share about firmware updates.
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
I understand that they need to sell more and that they concentrate on new products
They will be selling noting to me or my friends that's for sure until there are some news about the updates.

I'm wondering what firmware do readers like Note or Max2 run on. I would be surprised if they had anything different from the rest but they are not listed amongst the abandoned devices. Perhaps the firmware in these newer tablets depends on newer Android in which case best of luck to anyone who owns N96ML and such.

On the other hand how do you upgrade these newer devices? The ereader store's website doesn't say anything about it at all. I only found some mentions in the comments for Note:

Quote:
From Claus | 2018-04-23 22:33:38

Hi - I have had my Boox Note for a couple of weeks and I am very satisfied with it. Except for one thing: Is it really not possible to password protect the device?? That is really a must if you want to use it professionally. Will that feature be added in the next firmware update?
administrator

We have already added this feature (password protection) in our software. It will be available in next update very soon
and Max2:

Quote:
...After last update (of March) it is possible to use own Google apps that was already paid. We should remember that additional apps can shorten battery life...
This kind of confirms what you said about the older devices having been left behind despite the new firmware being "ready to 87%" as ereader store claimed in December last year.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
I'm wondering what firmware do readers like Note or Max2 run on.
Max2 firmware version shows up as "1.8.3". I suspect the different android versions between their current and older devices may be one of the reasons behind the delay.

There have been two firmware updates since Max2's launch in late 2017 - one in Jan 2018 and another in March 2018.

Last edited by gimble; 05-07-2018 at 11:10 AM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
AlexKidd
Enthusiast
AlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox 60, Onyx Boox Max Carta, Wexler Flex One
It is unthinkable that a device like the Onyx Boox Max Carta is left to itself so quickly
AlexKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #6
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
I won't risk updating my N96ML to a 4.4 firmware that is still listed as pre-release on their website after a year.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
machinogodzilla
Addict

Finally some news from Booxtor. Let's hope it doesn't become yet another bullet point to add to my list...
Old 06-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Unfortunately 2 weeks passed after the message of Booxtor but no update has been released so far.
I feel the N96 is almost abandoned.

I understand there are new products but, still, more than a year without updates is not a good point for Onyx.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
machinogodzilla
Addict

Meanwhile the firmware downloads page has disappeared...

Old 07-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
I hope the firmware update will be released: N96 and Max buyers were the first to fund that new line of products and these devices cannot be abandoned already.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:37 AM   #11
machinogodzilla
Addict

Boox official downloads page, it's quite informative.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
UncleZeno
Connoisseur

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
I hope the firmware update will be released: N96 and Max buyers were the first to fund that new line of products and these devices cannot be abandoned already.
I agree with you but I consider the devices already abandoned until I see a new firmware release. I am close to be upset with Onyx and indeed I did not buy the Max 2 anymore.

I am not going to spend a lot of money for a device that is updated only for 1 year after the release.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #13
machinogodzilla
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Unfortunately 2 weeks passed after the message of Booxtor but no update has been released so far.
6 weeks now.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I bought a Kepler Pro late last year. Like your devices, mine was supposed to receive a 4.4 update. Booxtor did send me two beta versions of the 4.4 firmware for the Kepler Pro: one late last year, and the second in February or March of this year. The first was largely unusable, as WiFi did not work. The second was much better, but needed work in several areas. For example, turning a page or changing a screen resulted in ghosting and artifacts from the previous page. Refresh did not work well. I have had no further betas.

I suspect that work on the Kepler Pro upgrade has been abandoned, or at least put on hold.

Booxtor has said that the firmware downloads page will be restored soon.

I went ahead and bought a Note a few months ago. I like it a lot - but yes, I know, I am taking the chance that there will be no updates after a year or so! However, in the case of the Note or the Max 2, Onyx can't blame the hardware for a lack of an update.

We shall see.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Boox official downloads page, it's quite informative.

I have just updated mine to 1.9.0. Can't find any difference yet
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote