Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Bryanhoop
Bryanhoop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Library overdrive and unregistered Kindle

I bought a couple of cheap PW2's off of eBay that cannot be registered. I normally sideload books so this was never a big issue for me. I want to try out my local library's new ebook system, is it possible to do so with an unregistered Kindle? I've read that in some instances you acn download a DRM'd ebook from Amazon and load it via USB, but I do not know if this is possible without having the Kindle registered to Amazon.
Bryanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanhoop View Post
I bought a couple of cheap PW2's off of eBay that cannot be registered. I normally sideload books so this was never a big issue for me. I want to try out my local library's new ebook system, is it possible to do so with an unregistered Kindle? I've read that in some instances you acn download a DRM'd ebook from Amazon and load it via USB, but I do not know if this is possible without having the Kindle registered to Amazon.
Probably not. My understanding is that the files you download through Download and Transfer via USB are specific for the Kindle you select. Therefore, an unregistered Kindle would not be able to read the file downloaded for a different device.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Wouldn't work. Even downloading to sideload requires you to pick the specific registered device it's going to be read on since the DRM is set to that device only.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
For four years I used an unregistered PW2 like this. However, I contacted Amazon and they set up an account for the kindle at their end. I began this via chat, then they called me. Then I was able to use the kindle while the kindle itself was unregistered. I recently registered it fully using a friend's wifi.

Is there some reason why it cannot be registered? Could you just contact Amazon and ask them to set up an account, as I did?

As to borrowing books from your library, you can do this in the US, but not in the UK. You don't give your location.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They are probably blacklisted and hence most likely stolen or otherwise illegitimately obtained. Blacklisted devices can't be registered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert