Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #1981
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Shards of Honor improved considerably after Cordelia's homecoming. The characters and events seemed much more grounded from there on. I started the second book
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #1982
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I think the first half was the first book she ever wrote. It sat for a while, not published, while the Miles books in the series took off. Later, she polished it up (and split it into two books) and published it as a "prequel" sort of thing.

If I recall what I read. (I'm sure I got if from her web site, so go look!)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #1983
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished "Into the Storm" by Larry Correa. A nice short read (8 hours) that was well done.

Just started The Sword of Summer, by Rick Riordan. When I read the ebook, I remembered that the book started kind of slow, but improved a bit once the main character got killed. (how's that for a teaser? ) But it still wasn't one of my favorite Riordan books. The reader starts slowly. Hopefully, he will improve or at least grow on me. If it doesn't improve soon, I might skip to the next book in my list (Into the Wild, the sequel to Into the Storm).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #1984
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to Double Share, book #4 of the Trader's Tale from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series from Nathan Lowell. This is a re-read of an old favourite. A comfortable and enjoyable book that is the complete opposite of dystopian. The reader, Jeffrey Kafer, is good, the book is a pleasure, and I know that ultimately nothing bad will happen. Though in this one, there might just be a few challenges before we get there.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #1985
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still going back and forth on whither to pull the plug and move on or finish The Sword of Summer. I'm going to be driving around a bit tomorrow, so by the end of the day, I should have my mind made up. Part of the reason I want to finish it is because I've already purchased the second book in the series, part of it is because there have been other books where the reader finally caught their stride after the first hour or so.

Reading an audiobook (or narrating as I like to call it) is different than reading from a picture book for a bunch of pre-K kids. Narrating is more using a natural speaking cadence like you are telling a story around a fire, while reading for a bunch of pre-K, the cadence tends to be more staccato as you carefully pronounce each word. The reader in this book started out staccato, but over the last chapter has been more natural.
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #1986
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
...The reader in this book started out staccato, but over the last chapter has been more natural.

So the second movement of this book is the lagato movement. Let us know if it concludes with a presto movement!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #1987
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A comfortable and enjoyable book that is the complete opposite of dystopian.
...which would be Utopian....
I'd don't know if I'd describe Lowell's "Golden Age" quite as a Utopia, but clearly, as the name "Golden Age" implies, we see it with a rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook.

Also, in saying "I know that ultimately nothing bad will happen" you might be either spoiling it for folks, or setting some folks up for disappointment.
I don't think it's spoiler to say, since Lowell's said it himself, that the books get darker as the Trader's Tale goes on....

BTW, I LOVE the series. About time for a re-listen, I think.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #1988
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...which would be Utopian....
I'd don't know if I'd describe Lowell's "Golden Age" quite as a Utopia, but clearly, as the name "Golden Age" implies, we see it with a rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook.

Also, in saying "I know that ultimately nothing bad will happen" you might be either spoiling it for folks, or setting some folks up for disappointment.
I don't think it's spoiler to say, since Lowell's said it himself, that the books get darker as the Trader's Tale goes on....

BTW, I LOVE the series. About time for a re-listen, I think.
Certainly not Utopian, but definitely "rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook". The space opera equivalent of an English Cozy, in some ways. And definitely books that lend themselves to re-read/re-listen.

They do, indeed, get a bit darker as the series progresses. I'm in the middle of a re-listen, or actually getting towards the end of it. Just started Owner's Share. We should soon have an Audible version of To Fire Called, the latest one. I know it's under contract and the narrator will be Jeffrey Kafer, who has done the previous ones.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #1989
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Whenever I get on the treadmill in the exercise room of the hotel at which I'm staying in Houston, I put on The Chopin Manuscript by Jeffery Deaver, David Hewson, James Grady, S.J. Rozan, Erica Spindler, John Ramsey Miller, David Corbett, John Gilstrap, Joseph Finder, Jim Fusilli, Peter Spiegelman, Ralph Pezzullo, Lisa Scottoline, P.J. Parrish, Lee Child, and (again) Jeffery Deaver; a "round robin" mystery-thriller. I'm about halfway through now and it's been quite enjoyable so far.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-23-2017 at 01:39 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #1990
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You'd get quite a workout just reading that list of author names aloud!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #1991
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Whenever I get on the treadmill in the exercise room of the hotel at which I'm staying in Houston, I put on The Chopin Manuscript by Jeffery Deaver, David Hewson, James Grady, S.J. Rozan, Erica Spindler, John Ramsey Miller, David Corbett, John Gilstrap, Joseph Finder, Jim Fusilli, Peter Spiegelman, Ralph Pezzullo, Lisa Scottoline, P.J. Parrish, Lee Child, and (again) Jeffery Deaver; a "round robin" mystery-thriller. I'm about halfway through now and it's been quite enjoyable so far.
I listen to audiobooks during my daily 30 minute treadmill sessions. My worry is I don't necessarily give them their due as I maybe associate them with pain and a desire to get it over with as soon as possible . That said, I'm really enjoying Stephen King's Dead Zone right now.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #1992
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Finally finished up Sword of Summer. It was one of those books that was never quite reached the point of giving up on, but was also annoying enough to never really get into. My basic two issues were the over the top PC nature of the book and the narrator.

Next up, Into the Wild, Book two of the Malcontents by Larry Correia.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #1993
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I finished up the two Cordelia books and the first Miles Vorkosigan book, which were plenty entertaining. Then, craving some fantasy, I took yet another stab at The Wheel of Time, and lo and behold, it grabbed me! Every time I've tried to start The Eye of the World in the past, I've been thoroughly put off by the melodramatic prologue and the coming-of-age shtick, but this time I persevered through the early bits and settled into the faux-archaic prose style and found the old-school D'n'D feel pretty engaging.

Right now I'm back in Vorkosigan with The Vor Game, but still feeling more of a fantasy mood. My eyeball read right now is Consider Phlebas, which has my space opera needs well met. I still want to finish The Vor Game before the loan runs out, then probably jump back into WoT.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #1994
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They do, indeed, get a bit darker as the series progresses. I'm in the middle of a re-listen, or actually getting towards the end of it. Just started Owner's Share. We should soon have an Audible version of To Fire Called, the latest one. I know it's under contract and the narrator will be Jeffrey Kafer, who has done the previous ones.
Finished listening to Nathan Lowell for a while. But wanted to repeat my comment that these are a real pleasure, and highly recommended. No big space battles, just a good yarn, well told.

Then I read an odd one -- Dennis E. Taylor's We Are Legion, the first of his Bobiverse series, read by Ray Porter. This was a KU+WhisperSync deal, and I honestly didn't hold out a whole lot of hope. But it started well, and I ended up liking it. Not 5 stars, maybe a bare 4? But fun. Not sure how well it will last, however. for future books in the series. But I'll give the next one a try.

Currently listening to A Peace Divided, the second in the Peacekeeper series from Tanya Huff. Lots of fun if you like MilSF and wierd aliens (good and bad) and a general irreverence. The narrator is Marguerite Gavin, so very well read indeed.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #1995
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to It's Always the Husband, by Michele Campbell, narrated by January LaVoy. This starts out with a woman being urged to jump from a cliff (with neither person being identified), then hops back to three roommates becoming friends during their freshman year at a hotshot college. The three are familiar types--the rich bitch, the ambitious townie, and the pathetic poor kid. They seem to do little but sleep around, get high, whine, backstab, and act out, but somehow we're supposed to believe that the three self-centered young women become fast friends. Eventually there's a tragedy.

Then we fast-forward twenty-some years to the present, when we find out who married whom, what happened to everyone. Someone's dead--murder? suicide? accident?--and the others worry that the investigation--by an outsider who's the new police chief--will dredge up the old tragedy. Oh dear.

No one is even remotely likable, either in their freshman personas or in their all-grown-up personas. The boyfriends and husbands of the three women were not well differentiated, and consequently hard to keep straight. The police chief starts out as a potentially interesting character, but then fizzles.

I kept listening to get to the end, in hopes there'd be something wonderfully twisty or exciting to redeem the story, but the twists that came weren't much of anything; it was too hard to care about this set of characters and their motivations. Yuck!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations