Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #361
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
wow. they realesed it in the uk but not in the u.s. that's new for me, since michio kaku is american (of japanese descent).

what the hey?
Nothing to do with the nationality of the author. Probably the usual situation of different UK and US publishers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #362
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nothing to do with the nationality of the author. Probably the usual situation of different UK and US publishers.
Also OUP has the advantage that making money isn't it's main objective.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #363
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
wow. they realesed it in the uk but not in the u.s. that's new for me, since michio kaku is american (of japanese descent).

what the hey?
No surprise really. I'm waiting for several John Irving books to be released for Kindle, including The World According to Garp of all things. All are available from Amazon UK, not Amazon US, though John Irving's a Yank.

As Harry says, it has to do with the publisher, not the author.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #364
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
No surprise really. I'm waiting for several John Irving books to be released for Kindle, including The World According to Garp of all things. All are available from Amazon UK, not Amazon US, though John Irving's a Yank.

As Harry says, it has to do with the publisher, not the author.
It works the other way around, too, of course . Sometimes the US publisher releases the ebook, but the UK publisher doesn't. Eg, Azimov's "Foundation" trilogy is available as ebooks in the US, but not in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #365
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Felony & Mayhem Press has come out with the first four titles in Patricia Moyes' Emmy & Henry Tibbett series, and hopefully will keep more coming! A little expensive at $7.99 each for an old backlist series, but this is one of my favorite series, so I may try to figure out some way to use Kobo points (couponable at Kobo...) for these books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Emma Lathen's John Thatcher series

R. B. Dominic's (pen name for Emma Lathen, which is itself a pen name for Mary Jane Latsis and Martha Henissart) Ben Safford series

Margot Arnold's Penny Spring/Sir Toby Glendower series

Patricia Moyes' Henry and Emmy Tibbett series

Richard and Frances Lockridge's Mr and Mrs North series (other than Dishonest Murderer)

Michael Pearce's early Mamur Zapt series (the last few have come out in ebook)

Manning Coles' Charles and James Latimer books and The Far Traveller

the rest of Helen Chappell's Hollis Ball/Sam Wescott series

Marvin Albert's Stone Angel series (supposedly coming sometime from Wildside Press - the first one is out, but no more have followed)

the early Andrew Greeley Bishop Blackie books (the beatitudes titles)

William Marshall's Yellowthread street series

Philip MacDonald's books (The Rasp is coming, perhaps the others will soon)

most of Delano Ames' books

Caroline Roe's Isaac of Girona series

and a whole bunch more authors...some of whom have one or two out in ebook, but not all...

Timothy Holme, Charles Goodrum, Kathryn Lasky Knight, Constance and Gwyneth Little, Frank Parrish, Hilary Waugh, James Yaffe, Richard Martin Stern

and Alfred Crosby's The Columbian Exchange
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #366
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Open Road Media obtained the USA eBook rights to Graham Greene’s books - three of them are available from your favorite e-tailer: The End of the Affair, The Power and the Glory, and The Quiet American (top 3 ranked on Goodreads).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:14 AM   #367
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Felony & Mayhem Press has come out with the first four titles in Patricia Moyes' Emmy & Henry Tibbett series, and hopefully will keep more coming! A little expensive at $7.99 each for an old backlist series...
Isn't it funny how we will wait and hope for a book to come out electronically, then when it does the first thing we do is gripe about the price?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #368
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Isn't it funny how we will wait and hope for a book to come out electronically, then when it does the first thing we do is gripe about the price?

My first step is to immediately make a request for my library to add it. That doesn't always work, but sometimes it does! Got to reread 'The Once and Future King' that way recently as I saw it was available as ebook, but couldn't afford to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #369
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I guess most of my griping about the price of an old series is that I almost certainly have them in DTB, so it's really hard to justify $7.99 each just to get them in e-book. And many of these books, I also probably have a PDF that I have scanned in, so even harder to justify the price just to get a nicer e-book version. So for me, I'm happy to see the e-book, but frustrated that it's not priced reasonably enough for me to get it.

And I'm not even sure it's good for the publisher...

If these were priced at $2.99 or $3.99, I'd end up buying them all over time. At $1.99 each, I'd probably buy them all at once. But at $7.99, I will never buy them, so they'll get nothing from me.

Maybe there are enough people who don't have in DTB, or are willing to pay that sort of price for "upgrade" to e-book, so that $7.99 on the demand curve maximizes profit for the publisher, but I just have a tough time believing it...

Quote:
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #370
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
I guess most of my griping about the price of an old series is that I almost certainly have them in DTB, so it's really hard to justify $7.99 each just to get them in e-book. And many of these books, I also probably have a PDF that I have scanned in, so even harder to justify the price just to get a nicer e-book version. So for me, I'm happy to see the e-book, but frustrated that it's not priced reasonably enough for me to get it.

If these were priced at $2.99 or $3.99, I'd end up buying them all over time. At $1.99 each, I'd probably buy them all at once. But at $7.99, I will never buy them, so they'll get nothing from me.

Maybe there are enough people who don't have in DTB, or are willing to pay that sort of price for "upgrade" to e-book, so that $7.99 on the demand curve maximizes profit for the publisher, but I just have a tough time believing it...
I completely agree. I snap books up when ereaderiq tells me they're at $1.99, and often grab them at $2.99.

It's also frustrating when a small, decades old book is the same price as a new much larger book. (Starship Troopers, published in the 60s is under 300 pages and $9.99. So are all of the Wheel of Time books...the most recent one published in 2013 and 1025 pages. It's ridiculous that they're the same price.)
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:51 AM   #371
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I completely agree. I snap books up when ereaderiq tells me they're at $1.99, and often grab them at $2.99.

It's also frustrating when a small, decades old book is the same price as a new much larger book. (Starship Troopers, published in the 60s is under 300 pages and $9.99. So are all of the Wheel of Time books...the most recent one published in 2013 and 1025 pages. It's ridiculous that they're the same price.)
I also. I have a lot of boxes of old paper books I would replace with ebooks for a reasonable price, possibly as much as $4 depending on how much I like them. But for decades old books that I have read many times and still own $8 is NOT reasonable for me. I'll just read my paper books if I feel like reading them again. What's funny is that judging by some of those books' Amazon Best Seller Ranks the publishers are making dismal sales on them. I wonder if the price has something to do with that?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #372
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I also. I have a lot of boxes of old paper books I would replace with ebooks for a reasonable price, possibly as much as $4 depending on how much I like them. But for decades old books that I have read many times and still own $8 is NOT reasonable for me. I'll just read my paper books if I feel like reading them again. What's funny is that judging by some of those books' Amazon Best Seller Ranks the publishers are making dismal sales on them. I wonder if the price has something to do with that?
Same here. If I already have a paper copy, I'm not going to pay full whack for a replacement electronic copy; it's just not worth it (unless I have to move house again). This is why I religiously check the Daily and other deals on Amazon (I tend to avoid Kobo because of ADE). My limit is £1.99 - but 99p is preferred.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #373
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Ah, ah.

This thread promted me to do some search.
And some books I gave up seeing re-edited are available as e-book

I'll try to get in touch about the rest of the serie.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #374
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

Oh yeah, I don't disagree. I don't usually buy +$7.99 books myself.

It's just funny that we think "Oh wow! Finally an ebook of XYZ. I never thought that would be released! $7.99? They can go to hell!"
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #375
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
My first step is to immediately make a request for my library to add it. That doesn't always work, but sometimes it does! Got to reread 'The Once and Future King' that way recently as I saw it was available as ebook, but couldn't afford to buy.
I picked up The One and Future King for $1.99, thanks to the discount forums here.