Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Battery Saving Tips

My several years old Galaxy Note 8 tablet battery was rapdily draining to the point where I thought I had to get the battery replaced (if possible). However, as a last resort I reset the tablet to factory default and disabled all apps from updating. . . voila! the tablet's battery life is almost as good as new. Any other battery saving tips out there?
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Leave the wifi off if you don't need it.
Keep the light at the lowest setting you can see with.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I also forgot to metion I left the tablet to the original Android 4.4.2 version. Usually, I'm a fan of updating everything all the time but for this old tablet the older firmware seems to be conserving battery life better.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:18 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Check the Behind the Scenes Apps too.... they can drain a battery quick
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Ok, there does seems to be a lot of useless programs running in the background ( I just stopped google maps which I've never used on my tablet at home). However, when I check the battery setting the biggest drain on the battery is the screen with 59% (google maps was 2%). I usually like my screen bright however I may need to follow advice of Cinisajoy and lower the screen brightness.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've always done a factory reset on all my devices at least once a year. It avoids a lot of problems. It's one of the reasons I don't keep a lot of books on my Kindle or have a lot of books on my laptop.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

For the tablet I think the issue was that as I keep adding apps over the years they were constantly trying to update which drained the battery very quickly. The factory reset was an easy way to delete all apps and start fresh with the factory firmware. However, for a laptop I wouldn't worry about having too many books on it. Besides everything is nowadays on the "cloud" so there isn't really no need to download everything to your device.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:54 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Any thing Down Loaded CAN get stuck Indexing...so if you suddenly notice a power drain DELETE what you recently add till it stops then re-add 1 at a time & Done indexing.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Good point. In order to save battery life on my android device I've also downloaded battery saving apps which I don't think were particularly effective. One thing they did show is how many programs were running in the background and offer to stop it. However, invariably the same programs would start up again.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Good point. In order to save battery life on my android device I've also downloaded battery saving apps which I don't think were particularly effective. One thing they did show is how many programs were running in the background and offer to stop it. However, invariably the same programs would start up again.
You can uninstall or disable many of those app if you don't use them. I have a Samsung S6 edge. I don't use Facebook and many of the Samsung apps that come preinstalled so I disable them. Good thing is in the latest firmware many of these if you disable actually release most of disk space as well.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #11
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

That's good news. Before I reset my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tablet to factory default firmware I tried to uninstall many preinstalled Samsung apps like (tripadvise) which was impossible. It has since been disabled.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Leave the wifi off if you don't need it.
Keep the light at the lowest setting you can see with.
This has a big impact as it keeps the phone from continually reaching out to find WiFi.

Also turn off Bluetooth and data.

You can also replace the background with a black wallpaper which takes less energy to display.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I just thought of one more thing. Don't check Mobileread 20 times a day.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote