Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
hakama
hakama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PP3
Problems with backlight - 2 new Paperwhite 3

I bought two pieces of amazon.de (.
On the second day I began to see a defect in backlight - not always noticed me but it bothers me - at Kobo Aura - nothing like that.

Ps: The photo effect is increased by the camera, live not so bad

Most visible at 10-12 points (in the night), at 20+ it is ok

- Is there a chance the other Kindle have a similar problem or no - I did not break the sales packaging.

1. In all there is or is defective unit? In principle, such Is backlight?
Ps2: Tomorrow I will compare my Kindle vs oldest Paperwhite 3 reader, bought a few months ago!

2. Return to the Amazon - I do not know how about logistic (hard to come back from Bulgaria to Germany, because they included bateries)
3. Sell in Bulgaria ...

Sorry for my bad english.

http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/471/8502471h.jpg

http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/475/8502475Q.jpg

Image url deleted.

Last edited by issybird; 12-06-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Inappropriate content.
hakama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
I don't see anything wrong in your pictures. If you mean the shadow at the bottom, that is normal. There are four led lights at the bottom that emit this little shadow at the bottom.

Last edited by ashort; 12-07-2015 at 09:19 PM.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 04:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
hakama, what do you see as being wrong with it? As ashort says, it looks normal to me, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I also looked at the images and they look normal to me too.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
gmercator
Enthusiast
gmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: PW2, PW3, Fire 7, Fire HD8
Hey guys,

Let me know if I should start a new thread... longtime member here but first time poster...

I just received a brand spanking new Paperwhite 3 and noticed the "gray blobs" or "shadows" at the bottom of the screen, especially when it is dimmed down for nighttime..

I am on the west coast of USA, and my PW3 screen looks EXACTLY like the OP's pictures of his screen

I take it that it is considered normal... never had a lighted e-ink device before, only read on android tablets... I was ready to call Amazon to investigate a return...

Thanks for your help (and hope I didn't hijack too much)
gmercator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 04:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The shadow cones are entirely normal. They are shadows cast by the lighting LEDs at the bottom of the screen.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
gmercator
Enthusiast
gmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: PW2, PW3, Fire 7, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The shadow cones are entirely normal. They are shadows cast by the lighting LEDs at the bottom of the screen.
Thank you for the quick response!

Without me doing a lot of searching, is the current Kindle Voyage the same as the Paperwhite3 in regards to the "shadow cones?"

I would also be curious as to what the OP finds wrong with his or her screen....

Hope my questions helped
gmercator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:41 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, the Voyage has a different lighting system that doesn't cast shadows. Perhaps due to the fact that it has a "flush" screen.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My Voyage has no shadows or cones, no matter how low in light I go and even if I am in a totally dark room. My PW1 had a lot of them, very distracting to read on. I have recently seen a PW3 and it looked way better than my PW1, but still had some very faint little shadows on the screen, kind of like on the pictures. They were not very noticeable though.

But my Voyage has none of that. Maybe like Harry said, to do with the flush screen? No idea. But I think they really almost eliminated the issue on the PW3 also now. I think its going from a tablet screen to a e-ink. Its a bit different. Try just reading on it. Just read a book.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
hakama

Really?
Now do you see the difference in bottom side?
- All photos were taken in the dark with other readers /8-14points backlight/ !

mine:
http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/471/8502471h.jpg

a strong example:
http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/764/8494764d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5754/...92fb4c79_o.jpg

Examples (it is fine)

http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/893/8510893f.jpg
http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/895/8510895a.jpg

other:
http://postimg.org/image/m37stl4hf/
http://postimg.org/image/bqli7iayb/
http://postimg.org/image/5e6cxo7w3/

other:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/109889...7659938488084/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/109889...7659938488084/

and other...
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5754/...92fb4c79_o.jpg

Why they are sold at the same price readers of varying quality?

Last edited by hakama; 12-11-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Those are the shadow cones of the lighting LEDs; it's entirely normal.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
hakama

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Those are the shadow cones of the lighting LEDs; it's entirely normal.

I know what I see...
Look last 8 links - there is not shadows...
Old 12-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've told you what it is. Believe me or not as you wish. I really don't care one way or the other.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And, it is not a backlight, but a front light.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
flybor
flybor began at the beginning.

Device: None
I am in California and was also unpleasantly surprised when I saw the dark shadows at the bottom of PPW3, just bought from Amazon. I am in a poorly lit environment most of the time and need some light and the shadows are visible and start bothering me from level 8 and above. They are very distracting for me for the last few lines of text.

I got another unit from Amazon. This one has a much yellower background, so the shadows are slightly less visible because there is less contrast between darker and lighter areas, but otherwise they are the same. Another problem is that the leftmost shadow is not a diffuse blob but has a distinct cone shape on the left side, a line at 45 degrees. Quite distracting.

Then I tried Voyage from Best Buy. It seems to have 6 or so LEDs at the bottom and the shadows from them are much smaller and very, very faint. I don't notice them, even at max light. Beautiful bottom of the screen. However, the top coloring is very uneven, with a pink area over the home button, followed by a big diagonal greenish blob… None of the two PPW3's have this unevenness...
flybor is offline   Reply With Quote