Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
one gripe thus far... system font change does not seem to be working..... I have a fonts folder in the sd card.....maybe that is the problem.
It will work on the SD card. Is it at the root of the card? Is it really fonts all lower case? Inside are there font files with an extension of .ttf all lower case? If so you should be able to see them in the fonts menu as user fonts. Do you see the ones you loaded? Did you select them and say Ok? Are you using a format that supports changing the system fonts. EPUB does not support this and FB2 and Mobi do it a bit different.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #32
readinggal
Enthusiast
readinggal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Samsung Tablet w/ Nook App, PC w/ Windows 8 Kindle App
Is this for the 6" EZReader also?
readinggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
worked fine on the lbook. Loaded astak.... had it on the root of the SD card. connected to the computer....the computer fixed some problems on auto scan and wiped out all my books on internal memory....ugh... Now back on lbook and it does recognize my fonts in lower case and all my fonts in lower case with .ttf ..... the menu does change when I use a user font... may do Astak again but not for a while...

want to have Astak FW. but not after so many problems... no worries will come back to it in the future but for now sticking with lbook.........
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readinggal View Post
The firmware is not, but external fonts do work. I do not know what you mean by "this." The topic has drifted from the start.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #35
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
This is for 5 inch. 6 inch next week likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readinggal View Post
Dear Readinggal:

This one is for the 5 inch Pocket PRO. The 6 inch EZ Reader Basdic should be into Astak this week and then we will test it and beta it. Hope to have it up late next week!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #36
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cloggy is good people!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
Hello Robertd,

Many thanks for the heads-up about regarding the 6" firmware version. I'll keep a close eye on this forum to check when it becomes available for download.

Also many thanks for your very comprehensive answers. Much appreciated!

Regards,
Dick
Dear Cloggy:

Glad I could help. We are making progress and that makes for a better device.

Still more Astak news is coming and I hope to announce them soon.

I am happy that you are posting freely. We have a very happy group here and the members really try to help each other.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #37
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Cloggy:

Glad I could help. We are making progress and that makes for a better device.

Still more Astak news is coming and I hope to announce them soon.

I am happy that you are posting freely. We have a very happy group here and the members really try to help each other.
When will I stop fooling myself into believing yew actually HAVE gotten LIT working? ARGH!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is there an improvement over the the .Lit?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #39
ashdragon
ashdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 5" Pocket Pro
Haven't done any extensive testing but the first LIT file i tried in mine since flashing crashed it, so 1st impressions aren't good
ashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #40
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Is there an improvement over the the .Lit?

Don
There is not.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #41
Robertb

I do not do the changes, the factory does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
When will I stop fooling myself into believing yew actually HAVE gotten LIT working? ARGH!
Dear Thomas:

The factory engineers do the changes. I ask for changes to be made in very simple bullet points like:

"The .LIT still is not working well and numerous people say it is not working at all. Please find the problem and fix it."

Then, weeks later, the factory tells me a new FI is coming and I ask what is on there and they say:

"we improve .LIT to work"

Thomas, they swear to me that nobody else but USA is having any problem. I tell them "that is impossible... it is awful". They try again.

I WISH I was an engineer and could solve this. NOBODY feels worse than I if they again fail.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #42
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
LBook FW *may* be better for LIT

Quote:
There is not.
Hiya TM.

I don't have much need for reading LIT files, but a buddy of mine lent me one of hers for testing, and it seems the LBook firmware that some of us are experimenting with may do a better job with LIT files. I'm attaching photos of the same book page shown under the recent April Astak firmware, along with one from the LBook firmware that has been discussed recently. While the LBook version still looks a bit "off," it seems a bit better than the Astak one.

The new Astak FW seems OK, although from my perspective it's not much of an improvement over the "recalled" March firmware. It restored TTS, which is nice for those who use it, but CoolReader3 needs to be "tricked" into reading TXT and HTML files, in addition to EPUBs. Those two formats, along with the still-functioning RTF all used to open in CR3 without file extension hijinks in the previous Astak version. Hopefully this version takes care of some of the battery issues a few were experiencing--my battery didn't appear to be impacted.

For now, with all due respect to Astak and those who prefer keeping their PP "all Astak," I'm going to continue using the LBook firmware. It not only has all the functionality of the March Astak firmware, with the addition of TTS, but it also allows you to delete books from the reader without using a computer, as well as several other nifty features. (I have dreams of putting an English-English dictionary on this thing to replace the English-Russian one that is included in the firmware.)

Oh...another added 'plus' is that the little pop-up menus that appear in the lower left corner don't require 20/15 vision or a jeweler's loupe to read. Same thing for the 'long press 1' menu for CoolReader. Nice for these middle-aged presbyopic eyes o'mine.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LitPageAstakFWApril2010.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	49480   Click image for larger version

Name:	LitPageLBookFW.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	49481  
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #43
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Hiya TM.

I don't have much need for reading LIT files, but a buddy of mine lent me one of hers for testing, and it seems the LBook firmware that some of us are experimenting with may do a better job with LIT files. I'm attaching photos of the same book page shown under the recent April Astak firmware, along with one from the LBook firmware that has been discussed recently. While the LBook version still looks a bit "off," it seems a bit better than the Astak one!
That can't be right? I tried to load a LIT file with Lbook and I had to push the RESET button on the back of the device.

Mind yew, I did only try it with that one file. I'll try another one!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #44
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

Thomas, they swear to me that nobody else but USA is having any problem. I tell them "that is impossible... it is awful". They try again.

I WISH I was an engineer and could solve this. NOBODY feels worse than I if they again fail.
What yew need to do then is send this "factory" one of the devices from here in the USA that is not reading it correctly so they can see what the problem is.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #45
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What yew need to do then is send this "factory" one of the devices from here in the USA that is not reading it correctly so they can see what the problem is.
Are (Our) devices are the same as their devices. It is not the device but sending them some flaky books to test will might be ok. Also just saying it is broke is no good for a programmer. Examples and exactly what does work is in order with duplicateable step by step process.