Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glsparks2 View Post
I truly hope that you choose option 1. Please.
Me, too. It also appears that my main tablet is still on 6, so I just have to make sure it never updates past that. Thanks so much for this thread or I would never have known!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The new version of CC will use the "pass file names" method on Android 6 and down.
Unless I'm confused, If you can accomplish this there is no need for 2 versions. As long as it works in some manner on my android 4.2 eink device I'll be fine. If not I'll just squirrel away the current version for use on my older android devices.

Quote:
Abandon CC as it is, no more updates, probably making it free. At some point it will stop working. This will happen eventually as I get older and more cranky, but I think I have a few years left.
More cranky???

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-05-2018 at 11:17 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #18
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Unless I'm confused, If you can accomplish this there is no need for 2 versions. As long as it works in some manner on my android 4.2 eink device I'll be fine. If not I'll just squirrel away the current version for use on my older android devices.
How do you squirrel it away, I'd like to to that also.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
How do you squirrel it away, I'd like to to that also.
I went to the Play Store and searched for APK backup or export programs. The one I grabbed was APK Export and used it to email myself the CC APK from my tablet.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-06-2018 at 12:35 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I went to the Play Store and searched for APK backup or export programs. The one I grabbed was APK Export and used it to email myself the CC APK.
Thanks so much, will do.
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #21
Ghod
Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nook HD+, Nook Personal Touch, Nook Personal Touch with Glo
Question

Quote:
Some points:[LIST=1][*]The "can't pass file names" problem exists with Android 7 as well.
That's interesting. Recently, I installed Nougat 7.1.1 on my Nook HD+, but I'm not having this problem. I copy my books to it wirelessly with CC, then use the import feature in Moon+ Reader Pro v4.5.1. Concerned that I might have duplicates (this was before I learned about this issue), I checked... and it appears that Moon+ Reader Pro is using the CC folder, and not having to copy them.
Ghod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghod View Post
That's interesting. Recently, I installed Nougat 7.1.1 on my Nook HD+, but I'm not having this problem. I copy my books to it wirelessly with CC, then use the import feature in Moon+ Reader Pro v4.5.1. Concerned that I might have duplicates (this was before I learned about this issue), I checked... and it appears that Moon+ Reader Pro is using the CC folder, and not having to copy them.
This is a bit complicated.

Android apps can "target" specific versions of Android. The device is supposed to do what it can to ensure compatibility with that version. The current version of CC targets Android 6, so your device is emulating that Android version. This is good.

Unfortunately, starting in November this year Google requires app updates to target Android 8 or later. This leaves me with the choices described earlier: stop all updates (effectively abandon the app) or make CC respect the rules introduced with Android 7. What I want to do is make CC use paths for Android 6 and earlier, and use copies for Android 7 and later. This has turned out to be rather hard, but I think I will get there.

You will of course have the option of not installing CC updates, effectively choosing the first choice for yourself. I will probably publish these APKs so people can buy CC then back up to the version that targets Android 6.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #23
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Countdown started: less than 1 month to Nov 1 deadline.

You being busy, still can you let us know the CC status now?

I am thinking of getting a Huawei Mediapad M5 which is installed with Oreo, Android 8. Don't need it but there is a "need" to get myself a pre-Xmas present. Will the current CC pass file-path/name or will it require copying of the file for MR+ or just have MR+ read the file directly? Or would I need to wait for the next version of CC for use with Oreo?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote