Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Web2Book Alpha version

Hi all

I order to expedite the next release of rss2book (which is now called web2book) I am making available an alpha version of the new app here. I'd appreciate those who have the time and inclination to try it out and tell me what is broken. A few things I know of:

- "Cancel" buttons typically don't revert changes
- tabbing through controls may be pretty randomly ordered

A few things worth noting:

- you should remove any old feeds you may have that have isHtml checked, and make these web pages instead (there is a separate tab for web pages)

- web pages and rss feeds can be published/subscribed to; Gutenberg books and wikipedia entries not (as they are trivial and too numerous)

- web pages can recursively fetch additional content, as can Wikipedia entries. Be warned with wikipedia this can quickly get out of hand (e.g. "lobster" links to over 200 additional entries). Use the Depth setting under the advanced options to set these; Depth 1 is the initial page, Depth 2 the page plus those it links to, etc. Links are only followed if they're hosted on the same site.

- there is no "number of days" setting in the options anymore, just the per-feed values

- all output conversion is done with plugins - that includes HtmlDoc. Similarly for hardware synching although there's only one plugin for now which is the Sony Reader

- the fictionbook.ru plugin worked but is now useless as all the English books have been pulled from the site a few days ago

- Gutenberg plugin has only been tested with a couple of books and may be very broken for others. Also there is no real attempt at formatting

- I have some code written for an Outlook tasks/notes/contacts plugin; it isn't finished and I'd be interested to hear whether anyone actually wants this

- the C# files for the plugin interfaces (ISyncDevice for devices, ISource for HTML source, IHtmlConverter for back-end converters) are included for those who might be interested in extending the app. I'll probably write up a tutorial at some point.

- the "Go" button will only update and sync content associated with the current tab (i.e. feeds OR webpages OR wikipedia OR...).

- you can post bug reports here or even better file them at this link

Last edited by geekraver; 02-16-2007 at 01:01 PM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I'm probably missing something obvious, but where can I download the alpha?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

hi geekraver ,

great work

http://www.hdbeat.com/rss.xml
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/rss.xml
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/rss.xml

are working now . thanks

i have 2 questions :

1- why are the files not date stamped ?
2- how can we make the web2book app automatically generating the rss feed without needing to press GO manually everytime ?

thanks for your hard work .
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar
I'm probably missing something obvious, but where can I download the alpha?
the link is above , in the first line .

http://www.geekraver.com/Web2BookSetup.msi
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny14
hi geekraver ,

great work

http://www.hdbeat.com/rss.xml
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/rss.xml
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/rss.xml

are working now . thanks

i have 2 questions :

1- why are the files not date stamped ?
2- how can we make the web2book app automatically generating the rss feed without needing to press GO manually everytime ?

thanks for your hard work .
1. The rss files should have the date they were generated in the title (but no longer the date range). If not then that's a bug; I'll check.

2. Under Tools - Options menu, there is an "Output" tab with a auto-sync daily checkbox and time setting
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

it's working now , both the auto sync and the date stamp .

you are the king , thanks .
Old 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Well, I knew I missed something obvious. That's what I get for posting before having coffee.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

geekraver for some strange reason , these rss feeds don't work :

https://www.mobileread.com/feeds/full_rss20.xml

http://www.pvrwire.com/rss.xml

http://ces.engadget.com/rss.xml

Last edited by bugsbunny14; 02-16-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny14
You need to push the number of days back. The engadget css RSS feed is nearly a month stale. The pvrwire is about two weeks stale.

The mobileread one doesn't work because the content is encoded in CDATA blocks; I'll look into dealing with that.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:07 AM   #10
geekraver
Addict

Okay, the mobileread one should be fixed, along with a few other bugs and better Gutenberg book support (e.g. try author "Carrol" and name "Alice" as an example)
Old 02-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
You need to push the number of days back. The engadget css RSS feed is nearly a month stale. The pvrwire is about two weeks stale.

The mobileread one doesn't work because the content is encoded in CDATA blocks; I'll look into dealing with that.
There's a lot of feeds with content encoded in CDATA blocks, usually feeds with heavy content use CDATA blocks.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver

sorry , my mistake i should've noticed that .
Old 02-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #13
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
There's a lot of feeds with content encoded in CDATA blocks, usually feeds with heavy content use CDATA blocks.
The problem wasn't actually with the CDATA per se, but rather because the body is in an <encoded> element. The app handled <description>, <summary> or <content> elements only (although the customize settings can override the content element name that so it could have been fixed through configuration rather then a code change).
Old 02-23-2007, 03:55 AM   #14
geekraver
Addict

Just thought I'd mention that the latest drop includes basic LRF output support. I still need to set the author and title to something other than "Unknown" but otherwise it is working.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
kschan
kschan began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Hi Geekraver,

Many thanks for your wonderful program and continued improvement. I have been using both rss2book version 20 and web2book version 21. For some strange reason, when I used the html2doc pdf version with the option
--links --toclevels 2 --gray --header ... --footer ... --textcolor black --verbose

web2book did not generate any table of content. But rss2book did generate a table of content with the same options.

Thank you.

KSC
kschan is offline   Reply With Quote