Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I've seen this repeatedly in various models of Kobo, but most often on my Kobo Aura (6-inch, pre-2017), regardless of brand (I mostly use Sandisk) and capacity; always formatted properly as FAT32 . I suspect one of the reasons Kobo has dropped Micro SD slots on their recent devices -- a big step backward in my view -- is that they never managed to get the engineering bugs out of their implementation, and threw up their hands in despair.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I've seen this repeatedly in various models of Kobo, but most often on my Kobo Aura (6-inch, pre-2017), regardless of brand (I mostly use Sandisk) and capacity; always formatted properly as FAT32 . I suspect one of the reasons Kobo has dropped Micro SD slots on their recent devices -- a big step backward in my view -- is that they never managed to get the engineering bugs out of their implementation, and threw up their hands in despair.
One reason to remove the card slot is the waterproofing. You cannot have a card slot and have an ipv8 rating.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One reason to remove the card slot is the waterproofing. You cannot have a card slot and have an ipv8 rating.
Than bump it down a couple of ratings and add the sd card slot back.

I believe there are water-proof cameras with higher ratings and sd card slots, so it should be doable.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Than bump it down a couple of ratings and add the sd card slot back.

I believe there are water-proof cameras with higher ratings and sd card slots, so it should be doable.
It's doable. Look at the original H2O. But, the original H2O has a cover for the ports that some find annoying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's doable. Look at the original H2O. But, the original H2O has a cover for the ports that some find annoying.
And it also has a different "waterproof" rating. For me, I would want an SD card slot and a reasonable water resistant rating (survives a quick drop in the toilet bowl: just long enough to get my grabber so I don't need to use my hand. )
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #21
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you check the SD Card standards, SDHC SD cards go up to 32GB capacity and use FAT32. Cards larger than 32GB (up to 2TV) are SDXC and use exFat for the file system. I have one friend who has formatted 64GB SD cards wih FAT32 using the EaseUS partition utility but have never tried one in my Kobo ereaders. Even it it worked, I would not trust the card using a non-standard format.
They might come preformatted like that but you can pick whichever filesystem you please. So if formatting with FAT32 solves the issue, there's nothing wrong with doing that.

My WebPortal mod has a ServiceMenu applet that lets you check the internal and sd card for read errors, I think KSM had something similar? With it you could check whether the card is recognized at all (even if unformatted)

Kobo only supports ext2/3/4 filesystems (but not on the SD cards, unless you mod it - I posted a hack for that here, not sure if it still works) and FAT16/FAT32. So anything else like ntfs/exfat/etc. won't work.

Kobo expects the SD card to have a single partition (number 1) with FAT32 filesystem.

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-19-2017 at 08:37 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:46 AM   #22
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Does the new 4.4.9349 firmware, which fixes "External cards without a label were not being mounted." fix this problem?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, micro sd