Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
minerin
minerin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader of 9,7 inches. Onyx M92 or Excel Icarus

Hi!

First of all I am sorry for starting a new thread but I promise that I have not found the information I need in the existing ones. During the last week I have spent more than twenty hours surfing on the internet in order to find the best 9,7 inch ereader. However there is not enough information so maybe you can me

Firstly I am going to say that I just want it for performing a professional use, this is reading scientific pdfs, djvus and make annotations.

At the time of choosing between Onyx-92 (black cause I think they have run out of the white ones) and Excel Icarus (I know the entire topic about the rebranding of the M92), which one would you choose? Is there any difference between them?

At first I was decided to buy Icarus, but after surfing on the internet I noticed that there is not a lot of information about it and there are some parts of its website that I did not like so I started feeling distrusted (pages that cannot be opened, lack of news etc.) so now I think I am more convinced with the M92, but for me it is a pity because Icarus is newer.

Would you recommend any another one (I do not like much kindle dx)

The place where M92 is cheapest it is directly on its website (something like 333 euros, and I guess that something like 10 for the shipping to Europe). On the ohter hand Icarus is about 350 euros in its website.

Any other recommendation??

Which one would you choose??

Thanks in advance, I do not have a lot of money and I do not want to spoil it!

minerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your primary use is reading an annotating PDFs, then I'd honestly suggest that you get an iPad with the "Goodreader" app. It's pretty hard to beat for that purpose, and much, much better for the task than any eInk device, I think.

You can get 2nd hand or refurbished iPads2's at very reasonable prices these days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The Excel and the M92 are the same (so the Excel is not really newer), but the M92 usually comes with the cover included, whereas Icarus lets you buy the cover separately.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'm not sure of the prices, and it's not new, but the enTourage eDGe is a good machine with a 9.7" e-ink and a 10.1" Android LCD screen in one device. However, it is no longer being manufactured, so the iPad or M92 might be better if you want company support.

The best support for enTourage is right here on MobileRead!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
minerin
minerin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your answers!

Even tough some people used Ipad as an ereader i do not like it in this sense. I already have one and but for my puropose which is working I strongly prefer an ereader.

Now that you are also telling me that Excel is equal to Onyx-m92 I am very close to buying the M92.
minerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
I would probably be happy with either. But yeah, is there ANY real difference at all between Icarus Excel and M92?
(aside from free cover above )
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
I would probably be happy with either. But yeah, is there ANY real difference at all between Icarus Excel and M92?
(aside from free cover above )
There seems to be one significant difference: the Excel claims to support Mobi, where the M92 doesn't.

http://www.icarusreader.com/excel vs. https://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-m92/specifications/
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
hmm, that sounds pretty major. Since Amazon sells mobi, and I'm guessing I might be forced to buy a mobi format book at some point.
(I'm sure I can convert all formats with Calibre, but I'd rather minimise the work ^^)

Any M92 users tried/tested mobi format?
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I'm 99.9% sure that the M92 supports mobi.
As the M92 and the Excel have basically the same firmware it would be very surprising if there is a difference in format support.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
hmm, that sounds pretty major. Since Amazon sells mobi, and I'm guessing I might be forced to buy a mobi format book at some point.
(I'm sure I can convert all formats with Calibre, but I'd rather minimise the work ^^)

Any M92 users tried/tested mobi format?
Be careful, even if it supports mobi, it may not support DRM'd mobi, so you would only be able to buy books from Amazon that do not contain DRM. (Or use tools to remove the DRM, in which case you could change format just as easily).
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
I'm 99.9% sure that the M92 supports mobi.
As the M92 and the Excel have basically the same firmware it would be very surprising if there is a difference in format support.
Agreed, and it turns out there isn't. I don't know why the specs page doesn't list it, but the M92 manual mentions non-DRMed mobi as a supported format.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Agreed, and it turns out there isn't. I don't know why the specs page doesn't list it, but the M92 manual mentions non-DRMed mobi as a supported format.
Possibly because the Mobi support is poor. This is "unofficial" Mobi firmware and, on other devices at least, it tends not to work very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #13
Irratzo
Enthusiast
Irratzo began at the beginning.

Device: M96, Pocketbook 903
Why is Icarus so much more expensive?

But why though is the Icarus at least 50 € (66 $) more expensive than the M92?

It can't be just the brand and slightly better MOBI support, can it?
Irratzo is offline   Reply With Quote