Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #421
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
For me, the issue is that an ereader makes a lousy audiobook player. Ereaders are too large and fragile to be used in most situations when I want to listen to an audiobook, i.e., when I'm on the move. I also suspect the controls aren't nearly so good and then there's the memory issue. So that being the case, to the extent that a native player on an ereader would add to the cost or bulk, I don't want one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #422
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Lenovo A10-70, Motorola Z2 Play, 1st Gen Kindle Fire
I wouldn't use an audio book feature on my eReader, but I don't mind if it is there for two reasons.
  1. Maybe I'd like it if I had it, and who knows the future.
  2. Other consumers might find it useful. I just don't want to pay anything extra for it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #423
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I'd pay good money right now for an e-ink e-reader which had audiobook integration and would allow me to read a book when waiting somewhere, and would read the book to me when driving (say patched in through an aux cable).
Search ebay for a Kindle keyboard. It had an audio out, did tts and would play back mp3 files. So that's not really "audiobook integration" but it's not bad.

Otherwise the Oasis 2 will do Audible but then you need a bluetooth adapter and it's more expensive to begin with.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #424
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Maybe a dumb question but is there a way to attach a speaker to the Oasis so can listen out loud? like a mini speaker that gets plugged into the power outlet
The original Oasis did work with a usb audio dongle that you could plug earphones or speaker into, like the PW3 or Voyage for the VoiceView Screen reader. But with subsequent updates that enabled Bluetooth and Audible, I don’t know if that still works.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #425
SleepyBob
Addict
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I cannot totally agree. Easy to buy or download ebooks in Kindle compatible formats from other vendors and either crossload them from your computer to the Kindle reader or use it's email address to send them to it via email. I have used both techniques to obtain books formy Kindles. I believe ebook sellers like Dreamspinner can be given the email address of a Kindle device and email all books purchased through them direct to your Kindle.
If you want to buy a niche ebook, yes. If you want to buy a mass market book, no.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote