Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 11-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #166
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader running on Android phone(s), Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7
I primarily listen to audiobooks on my Android based Smart phone using Mort Audio Player and LG bluetooth earbuds. I also use Fbreader's text to speach add-on so that I can also listen to my ebooks on my phone.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #167
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My second set of Sennheiser MX 365 earbuds has now failed. That's the end of that brand for me; having two sets with the same defect (one side losing sound) is unacceptable. Plus I don't want to deal with trying to get an in-warranty replacement again, if they'd even allow a second replacement.

I thought it would be easy to find something this time around since I didn't need a right-angle plug (because the placement of the jack on the AGPTek player is more conducive to the usual straight-in plug), but it looks like the old-style type that don't go into the ear canal are a dying breed.

I ended up ordering these ; the brand is unfamiliar to me, but the reviews are good.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #168
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My second set of Sennheiser MX 365 earbuds has now failed. That's the end of that brand for me; having two sets with the same defect (one side losing sound) is unacceptable. Plus I don't want to deal with trying to get an in-warranty replacement again, if they'd even allow a second replacement.

I thought it would be easy to find something this time around since I didn't need a right-angle plug (because the placement of the jack on the AGPTek player is more conducive to the usual straight-in plug), but it looks like the old-style type that don't go into the ear canal are a dying breed.

I ended up ordering these ; the brand is unfamiliar to me, but the reviews are good.
It took me several years and a few dollars to grok this, but 1) little tiny thin wires break easily, and 2) for my applications, many cheap earbuds perform and fit as well as much more expensive earbuds. So now I just try cheap ones, and if I like them, I buy several more as backup and treat them as disposable.

That's also even more true with Micro USB A/B cables, where the prices difference is even greater.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #169
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It took me several years and a few dollars to grok this, but 1) little tiny thin wires break easily, and 2) for my applications, many cheap earbuds perform and fit as well as much more expensive earbuds. So now I just try cheap ones, and if I like them, I buy several more as backup and treat them as disposable.

That's also even more true with Micro USB A/B cables, where the prices difference is even greater.
The wires breaking were the reason all my previous straight-in-plug earbuds failed--with the Sans Clips having the jack on the side, the bending eventually did in the wires.

I considered getting a Skullcandy model--what I had before the Sennheisers--but the price was $30 (I'd won my set in a contest), and I didn't want to pay that much. I may yet talk myself into them, though--sound was good, and they were very comfortable.

I've never had any trouble with USB cables. I don't believe I've ever had to replace any that came with a device.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #170
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla that doesn't do Bluetooth, so when I'm on the road I hook my iPod via cable to my Amazon Tap. I tried connecting via Bluetooth, but the static, produced I assume by the car, was terrible.

BTW, the book I'm currently listening to on that setup is Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta, an excellent tale of forbidden love.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #171
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I've never had any trouble with USB cables. I don't believe I've ever had to replace any that came with a device.
At the rate I go through micro usb cables (and the way my son now goes through earbuds, come to think of it), I wish they came on a big Costco-sized spool, and I could rip a fresh one off each time like the the plastic bags in the produce section.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #172
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:

The most durable earbuds I've had were JVC Gumys. But they still eventually failed. My fault though, for running them through the laundry in a pocket.
They weren't the best sounding for music (I'm rather fussy about music), nor were they the most comfortable, but they were OK and took a lot abuse.

Years ago I found some phillips buds that had great sound, fit well, but were easily broken. I bought about half a dozen pairs when I found them cheap on ebay. I think I might still have a pair somewhere in a drawer, but the others lost sound on one side after some months of use.

My favorites right now, are the semi-in-ear ones that came with the Fire phone. They're very comfortable, sound good and have held up for a good while. I feel like I should buy a few spare pairs while they're available, but I'm trying to get out of the "gotta have a backup" mindset.

As far as playback, I've finally got a 21st century car, which came with a bluetooth capable receiver. Quite a luxury to watch it sync to my Fire 7" automagically and just hit play without fussing with cords or tricky settings.
I'm using Overdrive and Audible for books and Amazon Prime for music.
I use the Fire 7 in the car and various no-contract phones for portable music. Mostly using the Prime app, but experimenting with Pandora and Spotify too.
I'm thinking I'll get the Amazon unlimited subscription if they ever put the 6 month or year subscription on sale (maybe on Prime day?).
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #173
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
My favorites right now, are the semi-in-ear ones that came with the Fire phone. They're very comfortable, sound good and have held up for a good while. I feel like I should buy a few spare pairs while they're available, but I'm trying to get out of the "gotta have a backup" mindset.
I agree they are the best earbuds I've own. I have three pairs now. They work great for music, voice and any audio I've tried. They are very comfortable. The only con is hard to clean.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #174
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
iPhone 6s and these:

Plantronics BeatBack Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-27-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: image exceeds 600x600 max allowed
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #175
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
The wires breaking were the reason all my previous straight-in-plug earbuds failed--with the Sans Clips having the jack on the side, the bending eventually did in the wires.

I considered getting a Skullcandy model--what I had before the Sennheisers--but the price was $30 (I'd won my set in a contest), and I didn't want to pay that much. I may yet talk myself into them, though--sound was good, and they were very comfortable.

I've had Skullcandy. Great little earbuds.

How was the sound on the Sennheisers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #176
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
I've had Skullcandy. Great little earbuds.

How was the sound on the Sennheisers?
The sound was fine--I only used them for audiobooks, though. But to have two sets fail in the exact same way after only a few months puts me off the brand. Especially when I didn't abuse them in any way.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #177
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Not sure if any of you saw this Kickstarter project for a waterproof android device that would clip on your goggles. I'm liking the idea because I could run the Audible App on it and keep sync'd between the pool and the car. I'm currently using their headset in the pool, and it works well, so they have a certain credibility with me. IAC, I signed on for the $180 early bird special, but otherwise have no connection to them whatsoever.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #178
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not sure if any of you saw this Kickstarter project for a waterproof android device that would clip on your goggles. I'm liking the idea because I could run the Audible App on it and keep sync'd between the pool and the car. I'm currently using their headset in the pool, and it works well, so they have a certain credibility with me. IAC, I signed on for the $180 early bird special, but otherwise have no connection to them whatsoever.
I like the concept, but it's too rich for my blood. At those price points, storage should be at least 64GB for the base model. Audiobooks have huge files.

Good luck and be sure to give us a review once you get one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm listening to audiobooks with my iPhone 6s.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #180
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like the concept, but it's too rich for my blood. At those price points, storage should be at least 64GB for the base model. Audiobooks have huge files.

Good luck and be sure to give us a review once you get one.
Size is more important than storage for this application. It needs to be comfortable clipped to your goggle strap. That has been hard to find, except for a retro-waterproofing version of iPod that is, frankly, not that great a solution, and doesn't support apps such as Audible's app.

Sent from my Amazon Fire with Tapatalk. Blame autocorrect for the spelling.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote