Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
RG9400
RG9400 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Starting calibre as a Windows Service via NSSM

My end goal is to be able to use calibredb to read and write to my books directory on Windows 10 boot. Currently, I've saved a shortcut of calibre.exe in my startup folder which launches the interface when I log in. This works fine, but I would like to accomplish this without a required log in. I use NSSM for the rest of my services, but pointing NSSM at the executable does not work. When launching via NSSM, nothing happens.

Anyone else figured this out? Should I use NSSM for the server only? My settings launch the server when I start the application.
RG9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC there were a few posts from people that managed to run calibredb.exe as a service by using a wrapper for it. Some googleing should help you find those posts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I use NSSM as the wrapper to run caliber as a service on my 2012R2 server. I have never tried doing so on Windows 10.

I prefer the old server interface, so I am still running 2.85.1 64bit on the server. I did test NSSM with version 3.x and it ran with no difficulties.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
RG9400

I would prefer to use NSSM since everything else I use is running via that. Do you use it to launch calibre.exe or calibre-server or calibredb? I would appreciate it if you could tell me how you configured it when you tested to see if it would work with 3.x.

On a separate note, if calibre is running, is there a way to run the metadata download and count pages automatically when adding books? Right now, I have to manually run them each time via the GUI.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG9400 View Post
I would prefer to use NSSM since everything else I use is running via that. Do you use it to launch calibre.exe or calibre-server or calibredb? I would appreciate it if you could tell me how you configured it when you tested to see if it would work with 3.x.
Did you as Kovid suggested, search the Calibre forum?

I just did a search for "NSSM", one of the several threads listed documents how a user runs calibre-server as a service using NSSM Ψ²

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
RG9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you as Kovid suggested, search the Calibre forum?

I just did a search for "NSSM", one of the several threads listed documents how a user runs calibre-server as a service using NSSM Ψ²

BR
Actually, I did read through the threads, but I think I am getting confused with Calibre and all of the components. The latest thread states this:

"I consider the contents of this thread obsolete for at least two reasons:
Calibre 3 no longer supports running the content server and GUI simultaneously."

Does this mean I need to run calibre.exe via NSSM or calibre-server.exe or calibredb.exe? In another thread, Kovid had mentioned just running calibre.exe (by putting it in the startup folder), and letting that start calibre server as a sort of best practice. The threads, on the other hand, seem to be more geared towards launching calibre-server via NSSM
Old 06-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@RG9400 - I'm only aware of people running calibre-server.exe as a service, either via NSSM, AlwaysUp, or Powershell commands. Not heard of anyone running calibre.exe or calibredb.exe as a service.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
RG9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@RG9400 - I'm only aware of people running calibre-server.exe as a service, either via NSSM, AlwaysUp, or Powershell commands. Not heard of anyone running calibre.exe or calibredb.exe as a service.

BR
It works, but does this mean that running the GUI will cause problems? Should I keep "Run server automatically when calibre starts" checked?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should never rin the main calibre program and the server simultaneously. Either run the main program and its embedded server. Or run calibre-server.exe and shut it down before starting the main program.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
RG9400

That's what I figured, which leads me to trying to run calibre.exe via NSSM instead.

calibre-server.exe works via NSSM, but calibre.exe does not. I just point it at the .exe and use --start-in-tray as an argument (I tried it without as well)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I highly doubt, calibre.exe is going to work via NSSM, it assumes access to the windowing subsystem.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
RG9400

Is there any other way that you know of to run calibre.exe as a Windows Service?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nope, sorry.