Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #1
Multics
Enthusiast
Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Looking to replace sony prs-t1

I really like the sony prs-t1. I have a t3 that I don't like as they seem to have taken all the good features away. If SONY still sold the PRS-T1 i but another. I've been getting by using ebay to buy replacement units in advance.

I have almost 800 ebooks in Calibre to load.

Requirements:

Either load or have an option to mark all read with the minimal keystrokes.

Sort either up/down by author, title, or filename.

have many collections/book shelves where the books are sorted by the user assigned author. There should be at least 300. A special bookshelf for 'unread books'.

Search on all the sorting factors (Partial or full)

search in a book for text.

goto page by number within the book

change fonts as needed.

The dictionary should be optional. You should be able to turn off the context sensitive touching so only page turning, home, return, and help/option button can be pressed.

WIFI is not needed nor any of the functions that come with it. Browser, reader store, google, etc. are not needed.

Charge, load new content, etc via micro-USB

On/Off button

reset button

I don't need any audio jack as I don't load audio on my ereader/

At least 20 hours continuous reading on the battery.
Multics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Your best bet is probably a Kobo. Options are limited. You could get an Android ereader, but you wont get 20 hours on the battery.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, a Kobo device matches your requirements the best. The missing requirements are:
  • Sort by filename - but there are six different sorts including by series.
  • Sort is only one direction, but the lists wrap so it is easy to get to the other end of the sorted list.
  • goto page by number within the book - There is a scrollbar to navigate close to where you want.
  • Dictionary lookup cannot be turned off.

The rest of your requirements are either part of the device, or can be achieved from calibre. I probably shouldn't say it, but, the Kobo support in calibre is probably the most complete for any of the dedicated ereader devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:19 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I went from a PRS-T1 to a Kobo Aura H2O and I've been using my H2O for about 6.5 years. I really like the larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
goto page by number within the book - There is a scrollbar to navigate close to where you want.
This is one of my most-missed features. Close only counts in horseshoes, as they say, and the larger the text and the smaller the screen the more inadequate the scrollbar is as a substitute.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This is one of my most-missed features. Close only counts in horseshoes, as they say, and the larger the text and the smaller the screen the more inadequate the scrollbar is as a substitute.
I think it would be good to have both the scroll bar and to be able to type in a page number. That way we'd have the best of both depending what works best.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #7
Multics
Enthusiast
Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
The goto page by number is mandatory. The scroll bar is pretty useless for me.
Multics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
This may not be an acceptable method or not; but if you are open to using KoReader on whatever device you get, KoReader has a goto-page in the menu.

KoReader is available for Kobo, Pocketbook, and Kindle (although I've only used it myself on Pocketbook, because I wanted the white-on-black capability it offers)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=216960 is one of the threads; koreader is available on github.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Getting into alternative reading software at this stage can be confusing. The thing to do is to wait until the user has used the Kobo enough with the exiting reading software to be able to decide if he/she wants to try something else.

So I suggest stopping mentioning KOReader every time someone mentions maybe getting anew Kobo.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I apologize, I thought this was a forum where opinions were sought. And the OP specifically said not having a go to page option was completely unacceptable: "The goto page by number is mandatory. The scroll bar is pretty useless for me." I was just offering my opinion, that perhaps, just perhaps, even if the built-in reader doesn't offer that option, all is not lost, if they were to choose Kobo anyway.

Whether or not the OP wants to accept that opinion or discount it, is up to them, isn't it?
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I agree the OP should be aware of Koreader as an option. Basically it's a 3rd party reader you can add to the Kobo if you wish. It may be too much for you, but be aware that the Kobo is very open an can be heavily customized to suit your experience, unlike a Kindle which is completely shut down.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I agree the OP should be aware of Koreader as an option. Basically it's a 3rd party reader you can add to the Kobo if you wish. It may be too much for you, but be aware that the Kobo is very open an can be heavily customized to suit your experience, unlike a Kindle which is completely shut down.
That depends what firmware the Kindle is shipped with. If it's not too new, it can be jailbroken. How difficult that is, I have no idea.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multics View Post
The goto page by number is mandatory. The scroll bar is pretty useless for me.
Why? Page numbers in ebooks are pretty much arbitrary. There are almost as many ways to calculate the page number as there is ereader software. And none of the numbering systems are transferable to different editions of a book or paper books. And at least one will get messed up if you don't compress the book properly.

If the point is to be able to get to the same place when reading on another device, then a text search is probably better. Or, "About halfway through chapter x". That's the way I did it even with paper books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:24 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Search can work faster than Sync!
The system TOC is more use than a scroll bar or page numbers. A problem if there are no named breaks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Let's say you have a Kobo and a Pocketbook both running RMSDK. Being able to go to a specific page number would be useful. But other then that, I cannot see it being any more useful.

Tags
replacement prs-t1