Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
PRS-300 VS Kobo?

So I'm tossing between these two because of simplicity and cost. I want something that I can sync with Calibre (I imagine that Kobo will work with Calibre at some point if it already doesn't) to read blogs and news and maybe a novel every now and then. My blog reading has increased and I'm getting tired of staring at this computer screen. It's an eye sore.

As you can tell from my name I am or at least was a Kindle user. The latter is true. I want something very simple and I want the price to match that. When the Kobo comes out in the U.S. it'll be slightly cheaper or at the same price as the PRS-300. Obviously the screen size is a difference and Kobo has a comparison chart on their site: http://www.koboereader.com/comparisons.html

But I'd be interested in hearing feedback on both devices-feedback that isn't discussed on a commercial comparison chart. Any Canadians have anything to say about the Kobo? Any PRS-300 users anywhere wanna talk about your experience? Are you ok the screen size being a trade off for value?
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I noticed a mistake in that comparison chart. Sony 300 does not have memory expansion.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a Kobo and my wife has a PRS-300. I got my Kobo first, and I decided to get it over the Sony because it has the SD Card slot and I figured the 1" of screen would be a nice upgrade. Plus with Calibre I figured I could convert everything to ePub anyways.

My wife saw the benefits of having an eReader after I got one and decided she wanted one as well. She chose the PRS-300 because she could get it in Pink, and I said it really wasn't that much different then mine.

The Sony is a tiny bit heavier, but its not as big and with the page turn button in the center you can really hold it. I find with the Kobo I use 2 hands because the page turn button is so far to the right that its hard to hold only in your right hand. (However I am left handed and that might be why as well)

The Kobo has the font resizing issue on some ePub, but putting the same ePub on the PRS-300 works fine. If Kobo can fix this then Sony will loose this advantage but its currently a plus on Sonys side.

The Kobo has 5 Font Sizes (when you change the ePub to get it working) which I think is a bonus. The Sony's small font might be just a little too small but moving to medium is a fairly big jump compared to the differences between each of the Kobo's fonts. Also since screen is smaller you get less text per screen, so if your using small fonts its not that much different but the larger you go the more you'll notice that inch.

I like the clean look of the Kobo, but when you sit the two together I think the Kobo looks cheaper. This doesn't effect how it works but it might bother some people.

I haven't really used either software extensively or anything, I just loaded an SD Card for my Kobo and loaded it that way. The Sony software was easy to use and it showed All books on the device with an easy way to delete the preloaded content.

I'm happy with my choice, but I think I would be equally happy with the PRS-300.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote