Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
SeptemberWasp
SeptemberWasp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
"I'm reading" list removal and syncing

I've installed the software on my Win7 computer and used Calibre to move over a bunch of DRMless epubs. I've opened many of them randomly as well as opened a few of the free and included books (on the kobo ereader).

Needless to say that through all this my "I'm Reading" list is cluttered. The help indicates that I can plug it in to my computer and modify it from there but that does not seem to be the case. The software seems completely bare and I can't see anything to do with my device on it other than the bottom left showing that its connected and the website just keeps reminding me that I have yet to purchase a book and how to get started.

Is it impossible to modify that list via the device? Can I not manipulate that list when non-kobo documents/books are involved?
SeptemberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
protodoll
protodoll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Droid RAZR
I'm having the same problem -- I ended up going into my Android phone (using the old Shortcovers app with no bluetooth sync, natch), removing them from I'm Reading (or ImReading, as it's called there), hitting "update library" in the software on my Win7 machine and then syncing my device to the
PC.

Not terribly convenient, but I guess it's the best I can do right now?
protodoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
I'm struggling with book management also. I'd really like the desktop app library to match the Reader library. Hopefully some day
In the meantime, I've discovered I can delete books in the I'm Reading section by deleting the file from the Kobo Reader icon on my desktop.
When you plug the Reader into your computer (I use a Mac) it treats the Reader as a virtual drive. That way you can drag books onto the icon so they can be synced to the reader. I click on the icon to open the virtual drive and delete any book files I don't want to show up on the Reader anymore, then sync. Voila!
Of course this also deletes them completely from the Reader.
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
I am playing with a mass delete of 717 ebooks in Adobe right now. I will post on the results.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
I am playing with a mass delete of 717 ebooks in Adobe right now. I will post on the results.
Hey, it worked!

I opened up Adobe Digital editions. I clicked on the Kobo bookshelf and all 717 ebooks appeared. I did a shift-click on the first and last and then pressed the delete key and they took a while to leave but now they are all gone.

However, I have not figured out how to get a book out of the reading list with out deleteing it.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
karenv
karenv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader, iPhone
Count me in with the same conundrum. I hope they fix that soon.
karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
canreader
canreader began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
The only way I've discovered is to skip to the end of the book and "finish" reading it. It goes back into your library and out of the I'm Reading section.
canreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
aar3on
aar3on began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by canreader View Post
The only way I've discovered is to skip to the end of the book and "finish" reading it. It goes back into your library and out of the I'm Reading section.
... and that is exactly the response I got from Kobo's help desk:
"To remove books from I'm reading on the Kobo eReader open the book you want to remove go to menu go to table of contents and go to the last chapter, open the last chapter and page to the end of the book as if you finished reading. When you go to the home page the book will be moved. "
aar3on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Margok
Margok began at the beginning.

I have a book without table of contents. What now? DD
Margok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by canreader View Post
I used this method too..god I hope I had other ways. I have a lot of books which are without table of contents, the other lot which have TOC happens to have over 50 pages in the last chapter. I'm waiting for a solution.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
According to the User Guide that's in the eReader itself, it's possible to remove books from the I'm Reading list by means of their Desktop Application.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
According to the User Guide that's in the eReader itself, it's possible to remove books from the I'm Reading list by means of their Desktop Application.
Just one of the many mind-boggling flaws with the User Guide. You can't access your "I'm Reading" list from the desktop application.

The only way to alter your "I'm Reading" list is to sign in to your account on the Kobo website. I believe you can remove items from your reading list there, but only items that you've purchased. You have no access to any books on your "I'm Reading" list that are among the 100 pre-installed files.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
Just one of the many mind-boggling flaws with the User Guide. You can't access your "I'm Reading" list from the desktop application.

The only way to alter your "I'm Reading" list is to sign in to your account on the Kobo website. I believe you can remove items from your reading list there, but only items that you've purchased. You have no access to any books on your "I'm Reading" list that are among the 100 pre-installed files.
Actually it seems you've got to go on your kobobooks.com account, remove the book from there (from the I'm Reading list) and then sync and it's gone...
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
darkadept
darkadept began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Just to note I'm working on an application that will be able to edit that status of books etc. I just need more time to work on it! =)
darkadept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
suburbanite2
suburbanite2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
For the technically inclined, you can edit the raw data in the SQLite database used by the Kobo eReader. Not as hard as it sounds. I downloaded SQLite2009 Pro (free) and opened the database file KoboReader.sqlite. You can edit the values in the content table to clear items from the 'I'm Reading' list.

This is not supported and probably not recommended by Kobo.

Take a backup of your database file before touching it.
suburbanite2 is offline   Reply With Quote