Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
barnacle
Enthusiast
barnacle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Pocket
How tough is the 300?

As it says in the title, basically - has anyone dropped one, accidentally sent one through the wash, left it out in the rain, walked on it, sat on it? And how did it survive, or not?

Neil
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I've done none of those things, but it looks and feels tougher than most portable electronic devices. I use the Sony case, and feel if I dropped it from table height onto a tile floor it would make it........ I'm too chicken to try though
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The weakness in all these devices is the very thin and delicate glass substrate of the eInk screen. This will shatter if subject to a sudden shock. Avoid sharp impacts, though, and it's relatively tough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
As it says in the title, basically - has anyone dropped one, accidentally sent one through the wash, left it out in the rain, walked on it, sat on it? And how did it survive, or not?

Neil
I've dropped Kindle 2 and Sony 300 (both at once) from a height of about 1.5m. Both have been in their respective covers. Both with no visible damages.
But they just fell to the floor, didn't collide with anything.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I've dropped mine a couple of times and had it survive.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've dropped Kindle 2 and Sony 300 (both at once) from a height of about 1.5m. Both have been in their respective covers. Both with no visible damages.
But they just fell to the floor, didn't collide with anything.
I wager that was a special moment for you.........
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
They are pretty hardy I'd say. I'm not quite at the stage where I throw it about the room like I do with my eeepc just yet, but it should survive a drop from a table onto the carpet and general day to day abuse.

All bets are off though if you drop it face down on something pointy though.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Dropping PRS 300

I dropped my PRS 300 from about 5 feet. It was in the cover that comes with it and it slipped out of my hands onto a concrete floor.

There was a very minor smude/scratch on the corner it fell on. The reader automatically reset due to the hard impact.

i lost about 50 books because it reset to the setting prior to my last down load.

I also dropped it from about 5 feet, out of the case onto a linolium floor. No damage and no reset.

Have had absolutely NO problems with it at all. So, I'd say it is pretty sturdy.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
barnacle
Enthusiast
barnacle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Pocket
Thanks! This is very reassuring. Mine got crushed under an opening door and suffered no more than a slight scratch in the anodisation; even that appears to be healing itself.

Neil
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
muchelaguito
muchelaguito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Ok, If mine suddenly started healing itself... I would be VEEEERY scared... Did you wake up at night and suddenly found yours holding a knife by your night table?

Ok, I think I'm reading too much S. King.
muchelaguito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And remember, the sleeve is almost useless. Get a proper cover to go with the 300. Once you remove the 300 from the sleeve it's naked and vulnerable. A cover will keep it a lot more protected.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I did buy the regular cover for it but I find the 300 uncomfortable to read with the cover on. Because of the button placement it is easier for me to use the 300 without the cover. I really do not worry to much about my 300 being naked and vulnerable.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We have had stories of people in bed reading and falling asleep to wake to find the reader on the floor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #14
delbunk
delbunk began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
I dropped my prs-300 down a the stairs...and land on a tile floor on the bottom. It was in the Sony premium cover, and suffered no damage or ill effects whatsoever. I freaked out until i realized it was fine...
delbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
My purse fell off 3-4 ft counter at Gander Mountain, where the top of my purse landed first. My 505 was in it's case (the original) and it hit the floor so hard that where the case attaches to the "hinge" it was indented with the case's imprint in the metal, but no internal errors. I've also dropped it on gravel from 4-5 ft with no internal damage and even one time where the entire bottom shifted over a good 2 centimeters. I could still use all the stuff on the bottom but you could see where it shifted (I used to walk my cat outside on a leash while trying to smoke and read at the same time-obviously it never worked out too well for me). I have yet to drop either of my 600's. Wait that's a lie! I did the whole reading in bed thing and started dozing off, only to wake up to the sound of my reader hitting the floor. But thats carpet and it's only a 2 foot drop . Sturdy little thing, I sure do love my Sony!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote