Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #301
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
B&N would do well to implement rotated 90-degrees landscape view, specifically for the visually-impaired, so that large fonts would be more usable.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #302
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
Just go to the B&N support boards and ask there.. Staff answer questions and it was at that site where I saw it
You keep repeating this and ignoring what B&N crystal clear policy is:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35611

5. Can I buy and use a NOOK if I reside outside the United States?
No. Barnes & Noble's agreements with publishers require users to have a billing address in the United States. Books and periodicals may only be purchased from within the United States. For details, please see Appendix B of the NOOK User Guide.

And, should I actually try to order it I get this message:

In compliance with shipping regulations, some item(s) in your order cannot be sent to Toronto in Canada.

End of story. You cannot buy a Nook for shipping and use in Canada.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #303
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
OK I have posted my question here

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...hread-id/14021

there seem to be a consensus regarding the shipping for Canada. It is not accepted.
There are some problems with registering the device or downloading books from B&N if you do not live in US...

The other question that I posted there and I should ask here to is this: do I have to register in order to use the device or to get software updates ?

thanks to everybody
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #304
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Have you completely ruled out the Kobo? It sounds like it would be so much easier for you.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #305
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
Hey guys, you can buy a nook and use in Canada or internationally. All you have to do is use a fake USA billing address and home address when you setup your e-reader. All you have to do is use your real email address and real CC. Barnes and Noble never ships anything to your home address and all confirmations of purchases and everthing else is sent via EMAIL.

If you liveoutside the USA you can either buy it off of ebay or there are numerous shops out there that sell e-readers like "STR" I know http://www.shopereaders.com does.
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #306
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
That will work fine as long as you don't mind not having a warranty. B&N won't offer support for readers that are sold internationally.
Actually I think B&N would offer support for readers, but international customers must bear the return shipping. Kindle is essentially the same if there's no local Amazon. For my country, Amazon does not ship the Kindle here nor extend support, but I have not seen problems with people needing an exchange and forking out money for shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
Hey guys, you can buy a nook and use in Canada or internationally. All you have to do is use a fake USA billing address and home address when you setup your e-reader.
(Emphasis all mine)

Wouldn't the billing address have to be real for the Nook to arrive safely? I just placed an order and used a freight forwarding company.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #307
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
Actually I think B&N would offer support for readers, but international customers must bear the return shipping. Kindle is essentially the same if there's no local Amazon. For my country, Amazon does not ship the Kindle here nor extend support, but I have not seen problems with people needing an exchange and forking out money for shipping.
They *may* offer support but they are under no legal obligation to do so.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #308
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
You keep repeating this and ignoring what B&N crystal clear policy is:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35611

5. Can I buy and use a NOOK if I reside outside the United States?
No. Barnes & Noble's agreements with publishers require users to have a billing address in the United States. Books and periodicals may only be purchased from within the United States. For details, please see Appendix B of the NOOK User Guide.

And, should I actually try to order it I get this message:

In compliance with shipping regulations, some item(s) in your order cannot be sent to Toronto in Canada.

And as I said the first post, people use too ..this must be a NEW rule (as of a few months ago) they stopped it.

see here
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ht/true#M76571

and see here

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...da/ba-p/410312

If you want to have answers from B&N it's better to ask questions on their forum than here....
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #309
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
And as I said the first post, people use too ..this must be a NEW rule (as of a few months ago) they stopped it.

see here

and see here

If you want to have answers from B&N it's better to ask questions on their forum than here....
This was from one year ago: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ht/true#M12131
I've been reading the boards there for over a year and I've never read that B&N would ship a NOOK internationally. As Doug Pardee said in a post on your first link:

"...there's a certain business sense in not selling something to someone if that sale might well cause both the buyer and the seller grief. B&N isn't making an extra $140 or $280 on the sale. They're probably making a few dollars in profit after shipping. And since they can't sell e-books to you, that's basically all they're ever going to make from your sale.

There are ways for you to buy a NOOK, just not directly from B&N to Canada. B&N takes no responsibility for those sales, and if your NOOK has problems or if you aren't happy with it, it's not B&N's problem."
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #310
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:

see here

and see here

Hi Iandix

The second thread is irelevant, it is two years old
The first one seems to be referring to books not nooks ...for me the issue is quite clear now, unless you use some tricks or speculate some flaws in their selling process there is no way to legally receive one in Canada.

The only way to get it is to use a proxy US address, there are some companies providing this kind of services, they will receive the package on your behalf and forward it to you, not sure how that works and not intrested to find out since I am near the border and I will drive to US to buy one
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #311
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is still true and has always been true since the Nook launched in Nov 2009. I try every two or three months. The Nook and most ebooks are not now and never have been sold directly to Canadian residents by Barnes and Noble. It also has nothing to do with Investment Canada as one of the posters in the quoted thread states. I have been buying from Amazon.com for over a decade.

What has shifted recently (last month?) is quite a number Nook ebooks seem to be orderable. Unfortunately, without a Nook, you are limited to reading on a PC or other device thanks to the "special" DRM variant B&N uses. If it were standard Adobe DRM, I could buy ebooks from B&N and use them on a Kobo (or Sony if I had one). So, alas, a bit better but essentially still no go outside of the US.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #312
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
They *may* offer support but they are under no legal obligation to do so.
But why would they bother checking each customer's possible location when the customer is the one paying for shipping?

Even if it's an international customer, he is the one forking out the money to send it back to B&N in the US, who would ship a replacement or repaired set back to the US-based freight forwarding company, which the customer would pay for to have it shipped back to wherever he is.

What if it was a US resident who is travelling abroad for a long period of time? Would they reject such a request just because the package came from outside US?

To say that B&N would not repair a product that came out of their warehouse and shipped to a local address because of legal issues is absurd. This would only be a problem if the item is sold internationally, and you want to have it fixed at a different location as where you bought it (from what I understand about Apple: buy in USA and your warranty is USA-only, but they do not discriminate between citizenship/residency so you can repair it only in USA).

I'm not sure about Kindle, but would the warranty be valid in UK where you are travelling if you bought yours in US? How does that work out?
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #313
Rabinca
Rabinca began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Simple Touch
Hi all. Been finding conflicting info on the purchase and use of a NOOK in Canada. Here's an edited version of the chat I just had with a B&N guy.

8:25:43 PM : Carl: Initial Question/Comment: I live in Canada, have been researching e-readers, decided that the new Nook Simple Touch met the most of my needs and then found a good deal of information on the internet indicating that a) there is no warranty support for the device in Canada, b) purchasing ebooks from B&N in Canada is either not possible or seriously restricted. Please comment?

8:27:32 PM : Jules: Thank you for your question. Let me help you today.

8:28:13 PM : Jules: Carl, you are asking if we can ship and you can use the ALL NEW NOOK in Canada. Right?

8:29:39 PM : Carl: Yes. I know I can "use" it in Canada, i.e. turn it on and read books with it. But will the device be fully supported (hardware warranty) and will I have access to the entire library of B&N e-books as if I were in the US?

8:30:38 PM : Jules: Currently, NOOK, NOOK Color and the ALL NEW NOOK are not available for sale outside of the United States.

8:31:32 PM : Carl: Oh. Direct and simple answer. Thank you! Not the one I was hoping for, mind you, but thank you nonetheless. Will they be any time soon?

8:32:18 PM : Jules: Because selling books in digital format to international customers involves international copyright laws, tariffs, VAT taxes, currency conversions, etc., only US and Canadian residents are able to purchase NOOK Books on the Barnes & Noble website at this time.

8:33:03 PM : Jules: Please note that there is a limited number of ebooks for our Canadian customers.

8:34:11 PM : Carl: Hmm. Confused again. If I understand correctly then, the NOOKs are NOT available outside the US - this means they are NOT available in Canada. But SOME ebooks ARE?

8:35:37 PM : Carl: You said, "only US and Canadian residents are able to purchase NOOK Books on the Barnes & Noble website at this time." And then said, "limited number of ebooks for our Canadian customers." Have I understood correctly?

8:35:56 PM : Jules: That is correct. I apologize for any confusion but there are ebooks available for our Canadian customers but very limited in titles.

8:36:31 PM : Carl: And this has mainly to do with copyright and contractual agreements with publishers?

8:37:16 PM : Jules: That is correct.

8:37:31 PM : Jules: Is there anything else I can help you with?

So it appears getting a NOOK would involve faking an address (or addresses) to get around restrictions and ending up with no warranty on the hardware and limited number of titles available through B&N (or more faking of addresses). Very disappointing indeed.
Rabinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #314
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
If you send your device in to them, I can't see how they would not honour the warranty. It would just take more time and you would need to use one of the shipping options mentioned in this thread to have the device sent back to you. Or if you know somebody there send it there and get them to ship it to you.

Faking the address is simple. They don't actually check, and the B&N staff don't care where you are. They always ask me how to get around it so when their Canadian customers come into the store they can give them a way around it.

I am going to the US in a couple weeks and going to get a Nook Touch. I already have a Nook Classic and Nook Color and don't have any problems with buying books or anything else. I have picked them up for others here in Canada, so if anybody wants one, we can work something out. I usually just ship it from home (unless you are close).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #315
ORLOV
ORLOV began at the beginning.

Device: none
What exactly is "3G" . I had thought it meant third generation, but on reading several posts it sounds like something altogether different and specific.
Probably a stupid question, but I am not good at computerese .
ORLOV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas