Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
nemo81
nemo81 began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505
new version 6.12 does not start

Hello,
I just finish to install the new version 6.12 on my laptop with windows xp service pack 3.
Good installation proces, but if I try to lunch the program, nothing happen. The hard disk work for 2sec and then nothing.
already tryed a second installation and varius restart.
any idea?
nemo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
nemo81
nemo81 began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505
actually I uninstall the version 6.12. I have only the installer of version 6.07 on my laptop, so with this everything work.
waiting for version 6.13 in order to solve the problem.
nemo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
awake738
awake738 began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
same problem here with 0.6.12 - calibre process starts up but dies almost as quickly.. unfortunately I don't seem to have an older rev to hand...
output from calibre-debug is as below.. hopefully this means something to someone... ;-)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 10, in <module>
File "calibre\__init__.pyo", line 16, in <module>
File "calibre\startup.pyo", line 35, in <module>
File "calibre\utils\localization.pyo", line 66, in set_translators
File "calibreutils\localization.pyo", line 27, in get_lang
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 23, in <module>
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'special_folder_path'

this is on WinXP SP2 BTW...

Last edited by awake738; 09-12-2009 at 09:19 AM.
awake738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
labhaoise
labhaoise began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Same as

I have the same issue as all of you. Upgraded to version 6.12 and now it is not opening. I actually have the same results on debug as Awake does, so it's not just something I did. I have opened a ticket on the Calibre website, so hopefully this can be seen and resolved.
I am running it with Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Last edited by labhaoise; 09-12-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: system running under
labhaoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Works for me in Vista.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
I upgraded from version 0.6.11 to 0.6.12 and calibre seems to be working fine for me (Windows XP, SP2, and Avira AntiVir Personal edition).
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post the result of running

calibre-debug -c "from calibre import plugins; print plugins['winutil']"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
labhaoise

As I am getting the same error, line for line as awake738, I entered what you suggested and this is the result:

C:\Documents and Settings\Louise>calibre-debug -c"from calibre import plugins; print plugins['winutil']"
File "calibre\startup.pyo", line 35, in <module>
File "calibre\utils\localization.pyo", line 66, in set_translators
File "calibre\utils\localization.pyo", line 27, in get_lang
File "calibre\utils\config.pyo", line 23, in <module>
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'special_folder_path'

I tried a fresh reinstall, and still getting the same result.

Last edited by labhaoise; 09-12-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try first uninstalling and then re-installing.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
labhaoise

I initially upgraded from 0.6.11 to 0.6.12. I then uninstalled and reinstalled. I unfortunately am getting the same outcome. I hope that I can resolve this, as this is an excellent program
Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Download the build linked to below and then try the debug command I typed previously, it should give us more useful information about the problem.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downlo...bre-0.6.12.exe
Old 09-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Not sure what the issue is I am using .612 and it is working great on my win 7 32bit setup

I do have to stop the anti-virus service if I wish to import ebooks

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
dreamers
dreamers began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch, iPad, iPhone
i am on win7 64 bit with nod32 and it works like a charm.
dreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
labhaoise

This is the result after doing a fresh install with the link you gave me:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Louise>calibre-debug -c "from calibre import plugins;
print plugins['winutil']"
File "calibre\startup.pyo", line 31, in <module>
RuntimeError: Failed to load the winutil plugin: DLL load failed: This applicati
on has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reins
talling the application may fix this problem.

Thank you in advance for any solutions you can give me

Last edited by labhaoise; 09-12-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK next thing to try is

uninstall calibre, then manually delete any files remaining in C:\Program Files\calibre (or wherever you chose to install it) and then re-install