Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which hand is dominant? Which do you write with?
Right 53 58.89%
Left 28 31.11%
Both 7 7.78%
None 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #46
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Mine's more naughty than sinister [slaps own left hand off thigh - "Good sir! You assume too much!]

Cheers,
Marc
You are always the exceptions to all the rules.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #47
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
You are always the exceptions to all the rules.
I'm going to assume that you're saying "You're exceptional, Marc!".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #48
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm left-handed and about to take offence...
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #49
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
...take offence and castigate, I bound, unless I hedge my bets, ha-ha.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #50
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Don't be offended We're just jealous
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #51
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is an old Paul Simon song sung by Simon & Garfunkel called A Simple Desultory Phillip with the lines:

I been Ayn Randed
And nearly branded
A Communist
'Cause I'm left handed
That's the hand to use
(Well, never mind.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #52
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Lefties, in league with the Devil?
Seriously, I know people who were forced to learn to be right-handed in order to drive the Devil out of them.
The more important question should be: do lefties find using a ebook reader awkward, and is there demand for a leftie Sony Reader?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:24 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Well the left hand used to be considered evil. Hence our jokes on sinister (Latin for "left" is sinistra, and gauche- french for left). I think it all harkens back to the days before toilet paper where you wiped yourself with the left hand. Nobody would want to shake that. But I could be wrong.
No, it has nothing to do with that.

The idea that the left was "unlucky" goes back to Roman times, when the practice of "augury" was used to determine how favourable (or otherwise) the "omens" were before any official state occasion. Augury was based on watching the flight of birds. A bird seen on the augur's right side was considered favourable, one seen on the left side was unfavourable. That's why the Latin for "left hand" - "sinistra" - became the English word "sinister", with its meaning of unlucky or ill-omened.

On a somewhat-related note, the modern word "inauguration" comes directly from the Roman practice of an augur taking the omens at the start of any official occasion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #54
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I use my right hand to write and my right foot to play soccer. I guess the right handed people are the evil ones, because that means their LEFT part of the brain is the dominant one! :O
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #55
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The more important question should be: do lefties find using a ebook reader awkward, and is there demand for a leftie Sony Reader?
I'm a rightie and I use my left hand on the page-turning buttons because I find it more comfortable to do so. I use the rocker/joypad instead of the arrow buttons next to the number keys. I find that using the arrow keys makes my right hand cramp.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm left handed, but can use my CyBook very comfortably with either hand.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #57
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And i find the Sony PRS500 and PRS505 very comfortable with either hand.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #58
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
left rules!

who would want to be otherwise?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #59
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
I'm a total lefty... my right arm (hand) could pretty much just hang there most of the time and I wouldn't know the difference. Except... when it comes to the Wii... for some reason, I Wii with my right almost as much as my left

Growing up, all of us kids were lefties, but my older brother was in school at a time when if you were left, they made you right...write.. right? So, he became a really bad righty... and my mom swears, dyslectic after that. My younger brother writes left, but repairs mechanical things and bowls () righty. My new found older half-brother... is a lefty as well.

All of our parents were/are righties, our grandparents, aunts and all but one uncle... righties. I've got 16 or 17 first cousins on my da's side... all righties (as are their 10 or so kids!); 6 on mom's side... all righties.

My nephew started out messing around left, then right... and seems to be a righty so far.

So, out of approximately 60 people, 3 of us were lefties, 1 went right and dinner time was always fun with the relatives, those elbows... oi, those elbows.

I find the kindle perfect for me! I use the left to go one way, the right to go the other... and rarely if ever switch

Last edited by Ceili; 01-31-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: must have been a right handed space bar ;)
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #60
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Ceili, I'm a total lefty, too, except for using a mouse and Wii remote. Perhaps the Wii remote is similar to a mouse, so that's why we put it in the right hand for some things?

Like most lefties, I never bothered to learn how to use a mouse left-handed. (Well, I think most lefties use a mouse right-handed, anyway.)

Sadly for them, I come from a family of all-righties.

I have no trouble at all using my iLiad left-handed.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hand, left, write