Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
BJWanlund
In eBook Heaven
BJWanlund is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone (owned), Kindle
Might as well post my requirements for eBook readers...

Well, everybody and their sister are looking to be more environmentally friendly, and I'm no different. I read quite a few books within the span of a year or so, so saving trees is becoming quite the priority for me personally (and buying used real books doesn't seem to ease my conscience...).

Here are my main requirements:
  • Easy to use (total dealbreaker if it's not easy to use)
  • e-ink display (doesn't have to be color, but dealbreaker if it isn't e-ink)
  • PDF support (isn't an absolute dealbreaker requirement, but it'd be nice nevertheless to have true PDF support without some sort of stupid workaround if absolutely necessary)
  • Ability to sync with Macintosh (in the case of Kindle, what if I'm in a wireless dead zone? If I can't sync with a Mac, it's a dealbreaker for me)
  • Ability to purchase eBooks and be able to read them within a few hours (left intentionally broad for a reason)

I think that covers it. So, any thoughts? Any suggestions?

in advance for your advice.

BJ
BJWanlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Most any e-INK eBook reader will meet your needs depending on how you define things. What does sync to a mac mean? All the units will mount as a memory device to the mac and to the pc. This means you can drag files across the boundary back a forth. If you want a program to manage the eBook interface then that is a different thing.

PDF support is on all readers except the Kindle which will translate it for you if you submit the file to their web site. however PDF support works very different among the various readers. Read the first article in the sticky portion of this forum for more details. PDF support is problematic for all readers less that the 10.2" version by iRex.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
What kind of PDFs are you wanting to use? Are they mostly text or full of complicated graphs and tables?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
BJWanlund
In eBook Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Most any e-INK eBook reader will meet your needs depending on how you define things. What does sync to a mac mean? All the units will mount as a memory device to the mac and to the pc. This means you can drag files across the boundary back a forth. If you want a program to manage the eBook interface then that is a different thing.

PDF support is on all readers except the Kindle which will translate it for you if you submit the file to their web site. however PDF support works very different among the various readers. Read the first article in the sticky portion of this forum for more details. PDF support is problematic for all readers less that the 10.2" version by iRex.

Dale
Thank you. For the sync to Mac thing, I was more or less looking for a management software for when the Kindle (if that's my reader of choice) hits a dead zone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
What kind of PDFs are you wanting to use? Are they mostly text or full of complicated graphs and tables?
Mostly text. I don't think it should pose that much of a problem.

BJ
Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, I think for the most part, buying ebooks and being able to read them quickly is a given on most any of the readers, eInk or not. Personally, I was not particularly happy with the synching ability of any of the readers for Macs; you might be able to upload to the reader through the Mac, but reading books on a Mac could be a bit trickier if you wanted to read DRM'd books. None of the big three formats (Sony's .lrf, Amazon's Kindle and Mobi) that are popular on dedicated eBook readers provides software for reading on a Mac (Though Sony and Mobi can both be read on a PC). You can read non-Drm'd books via Stanza or FBread.

PDF's are the biggest problem. I think at the moment, that Sony is the only one that supports re-flowable PDF's. Without that ability you either have to look at only part of a page at a time or deal with really tiny type. You could also get one of the larger IREX readers but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well if the PDFs are mostly text, I think the Kindle fits your requirements (yes, I'm prejudiced).

* Easy to use (total dealbreaker if it's not easy to use)
The Kindle is very easy to use

* e-ink display (doesn't have to be color, but dealbreaker if it isn't e-ink)
No e-ink readers available to the public are color.

* PDF support (isn't an absolute dealbreaker requirement, but it'd be nice nevertheless to have true PDF support without some sort of stupid workaround if absolutely necessary)
For text PDFs, amazon will do the work of converting them for you and send them directly to your Kindle via Whispernet. The turnaround for conversion is very fast. Usually minutes and once in a blue moon an hour or more (if it's wireless network problem).

* Ability to sync with Macintosh (in the case of Kindle, what if I'm in a wireless dead zone? If I can't sync with a Mac, it's a dealbreaker for me)
Use this link to check availability or strength of Whispernet in your area. I've had my Kindle wireless work in areas where my cell phone didn't... go figure. You can still download to your computer and transfer books via USB cable.

* Ability to purchase eBooks and be able to read them within a few hours (left intentionally broad for a reason)
You can start reading within minutes of purchasing Amazon books on the Kindle.

You can also try the Kindle for 30 days and return it for a refund if it doesn't work for you.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One really doesn't need "sync" or "management software"; all modern devices simply mount as a drive via USB, and one copies files to them as one would any other drive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One really doesn't need "sync" or "management software"; all modern devices simply mount as a drive via USB, and one copies files to them as one would any other drive.
True, but on the flip side, I think it is nice if there is an additional layer of abstraction involved. After all, some books might be simple text files, where others might be a directory with several sub-directories. While this will cause no problem for a techie, it might lead to a certain amount of confusion for others. So a library gui and or a synching function where all one sees are the books they own and which exist on the device probably is a useful feature.

--
Bill
Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
True, but on the flip side, I think it is nice if there is an additional layer of abstraction involved. After all, some books might be simple text files, where others might be a directory with several sub-directories. While this will cause no problem for a techie, it might lead to a certain amount of confusion for others. So a library gui and or a synching function where all one sees are the books they own and which exist on the device probably is a useful feature.

--
Bill
What eBook format is anything other than a single file?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What eBook format is anything other than a single file?
If they use html with images it will be. Also, I suspect the same might be true of ePub, except they might hide it all by zipping it up in a container file.

--
Bill
Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

True about HTML, but I've never thought of it as an "eBook format". You're correct about ePub - it's basically a renamed ZIP file with HTML content, but there again that's pretty much what LIT and MobiPocket books are too.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
BJWanlund
In eBook Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well if the PDFs are mostly text, I think the Kindle fits your requirements (yes, I'm prejudiced).

* Easy to use (total dealbreaker if it's not easy to use)
The Kindle is very easy to use

* e-ink display (doesn't have to be color, but dealbreaker if it isn't e-ink)
No e-ink readers available to the public are color.

* PDF support (isn't an absolute dealbreaker requirement, but it'd be nice nevertheless to have true PDF support without some sort of stupid workaround if absolutely necessary)
For text PDFs, amazon will do the work of converting them for you and send them directly to your Kindle via Whispernet. The turnaround for conversion is very fast. Usually minutes and once in a blue moon an hour or more (if it's wireless network problem).

* Ability to sync with Macintosh (in the case of Kindle, what if I'm in a wireless dead zone? If I can't sync with a Mac, it's a dealbreaker for me)
Use this link to check availability or strength of Whispernet in your area. I've had my Kindle wireless work in areas where my cell phone didn't... go figure. You can still download to your computer and transfer books via USB cable.

* Ability to purchase eBooks and be able to read them within a few hours (left intentionally broad for a reason)
You can start reading within minutes of purchasing Amazon books on the Kindle.

You can also try the Kindle for 30 days and return it for a refund if it doesn't work for you.
EDIT: Scratch that. I just found that out on the Amazon page. I'm TOTALLY sold now. Updating profile, even tho I haven't got a Kindle yet...

BJ

Last edited by BJWanlund; 10-15-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Yay!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
And we have another convert......enjoy! And if you haven't already, go to Amazon's Kindle page, and watch the informational video.....thats what sold me. Ignore the 'celebrities' videos......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XGWP875P4A5MF5

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-15-2008 at 08:45 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #15
BJWanlund
In eBook Heaven

I've seen that video already. Seeing it again.

BJ

EDIT: I also like seeing testimonies from celebs, Martha Stewart, et al.

Last edited by BJWanlund; 10-15-2008 at 10:56 PM.