Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
atom
atom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
So I just ordered a Sony PRS 505.

I can't wait to get it! Anyway, I have some questions.

1.) I have mainly read books on my computer that are in PDF format. These books are purely in text form and do not really have many illustrations, if any. I heard the 505 is bad with PDF's... if this is the case, is there any way I can convert the PDF to the Sony format so its read better?

2.) To read manga do you have to put the JPG's into a PDF? Any tutorials on how to optimize them for the reader?

3.) Any hard case? The reader is going to be my backpack and I do not want the presumably fragile screen to be killed...

Thanks in advance!
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi atom and welcome to the Forum. I have the MEdge Leisure cover that affords pretty good protection. You place the reader into a padded frame then zip the clear plastic cover shut. Although not waterproof, it is water resistant. Good cover to use at teh beach and on boats. And I use mine at the gym.

And, when I travel, I place the reader into the frame screen first which gives it extra protection in the carry on bag.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
1.) I have mainly read books on my computer that are in PDF format. These books are purely in text form and do not really have many illustrations, if any. I heard the 505 is bad with PDF's... if this is the case, is there any way I can convert the PDF to the Sony format so its read better?
Good news. A recent firmware update for the 505 installs Digital Editions support onto your Sony. This viewer supports reflowing PDF files so that the text can be a readable size.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I think putting your images into a cbr or cbz would be the best solution for manga. I just just download mine in that form to begin with when I can help it.

You're going to love your new reader, I promise.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can't wait to get it! Anyway, I have some questions.

1.) I have mainly read books on my computer that are in PDF format. These books are purely in text form and do not really have many illustrations, if any. I heard the 505 is bad with PDF's... if this is the case, is there any way I can convert the PDF to the Sony format so its read better? You could also conceivably try using a pdf-file printer to print to a Sony-optimized size.

2.) To read manga do you have to put the JPG's into a PDF? Any tutorials on how to optimize them for the reader?

3.) Any hard case? The reader is going to be my backpack and I do not want the presumably fragile screen to be killed...

Thanks in advance!
1. the main problem with PDF is that it is formatted for a certain screen size, and doesn't reflow very easily or beautifully. That said, the 505 with the newer firmware does a much better job of rendering them, although I still think it looks like crap and prefer other formats. As for conversion, I have had really good results with pdflrf, and if you have a linux box and don't mind a little hacking/manual reformatting, pdftohtml leaves you with editable HTML files + images.

2. for manga, all you have to do is get a collection of images with some kind of numerical order in the file names (001.jpg, 002.jpg and so on), and add them to a zip or rar archive. You then change the file extension of this archive to either .cbz (zip) or .cbr (rar) and you have a computer-readable comic. To convert/optimise it for Sony run FangornUK's comiclrf script.

3. can't help you there, although some people mentioned those hard, clear cases that shops use to put their DVDs in, those seem to fit. For the record, I also carry around the reader in my backpack, it is flush against my notebook so I don't really worry about it. Of course, lots of "loose items" in your backpack might scratch/damage your reader. I don't know how fragile the screen is, it seems pretty sturdy (given that I've already dropped the reader twice from a standing position on a paved street and it survived. Yes, I have butterfingers).
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
(given that I've already dropped the reader twice from a standing position on a paved street and it survived. Yes, I have butterfingers).

I almost gasped just reading that - I can't even imagine the cringe on your face as it happened.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
atom

I received my Sony Reader.. uhm where do I put the PDF files?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I received my Sony Reader.. uhm where do I put the PDF files?
Upload it to the reader with the help of eBook Library?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Upload it to the reader with the help of eBook Library?
Ah, I thought eBook Library was only for Sony "official" ebooks. Thanks... (Didn't have to be rude.)
Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Ah, I thought eBook Library was only for Sony "official" ebooks. Thanks... (Didn't have to be rude.)
Many here prefer to use Kovid Goyal's Calibre; an alternative, multiplatform ebook library, converter, and device interface all in one.
Try it out here: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
(Didn't have to be rude.)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony reader help manga